Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My story at last

Hello everyone
    Well, I have been lurking around this site and now I have decided it's probably about time I tell my story.
    How to begin? Well, I guess I will introduce myself. My name is Jen, I am 29 and I am a lawyer in Canada. But I have never felt secure or comfortable in my own skin. People say to me "but you have made it! You are a success!"
    It doesn't matter. I have never felt good enough.
    When I went through school, I was teased mercilessly (public school) because by grade 3 I had braces, glasses and a bowl hair cut (I am a girl, it was not cute). I remember always wanting to fit in. A good day for me was a day when I was not teased or made fun of. I was miserable and had absolutely no self esteem whatsoever.
    By the time I got to high school, I wasen't quite so awkward but I was still insecure. Then I found a group of friends who were really fun - and they were well known and liked. I finally fit in somewhere. These people were real partiers. By the time I was 17, I had already established my love affair with the bottle. I started out and became known as the rum and coke girl. I always drank rum and coke. In fact, I remember being at a bon fire and tripping over a log and landing on my face, but I was proud because my cup with the rum and coke was still upright and not a drop had spilled! What an accomplishent!
    The summer I was 17 is a blur. I dont remember much of it.
    And it has pretty well continued like this since then, though there have been periods of less consumptoin and more consumption.
    I have always surrounded myself with people like me - problem drinkers, partiers. I have not achieved any type of absteince since aged 17 for more than a few days. In the last 10 years, I think the longest I have gone is 2 (and I was NOT happy). Now, I drink wine, vodka, beer - whatever I can get. I have nights where I have too much and nights I am okay but the obsession and compulsion is ALWAYS there. I want to learn to be moderate. I dont know about abstinence right now. I have tried the AA thing and just didn't relate. I feel shy, nervous and insecure in social settings with out a drink in my hand.
    I have a wonderful, loving boyfriend who I want to marry (and he wants to marry me) but he is concerned that my drinking might effect us or any future children. I am tired of living this way and wish I could be more like him when it comes to alcohol. (He can more or less take it or leave it, though he will overindulge once in a while). I have hopes that this program works. I, however, can't get a prescription for Topa (as far as I am aware) becasue I am in Canada. I am not ready for total abstinence. Does anyone have advice? I can order the supps, the CDs and the book but I am concerned that they will not be overly effective without the meds.
    Anyways, thats it for now. I would welcome any comments.
    Thanks

My story at last

Hi Jen,
    I'm sorry I can't help with the Topa problem, but I just wanted to say hello. I have been lurking around the site as well and have just finally posted something today. I just wanted to offer support. You should be really proud of yourself for recognizing the problem and wanting to do something about it before it ruins your life. It takes a lot of courage, and you should stand tall. Best wishes, P

Comment

My story at last

Hi Jenny, I've never checked out this web site myself, but I've heard of others ordering different meds off of it. inhousepharmacy.com. Maybe check it out? Good luck. I've also heard of people in Canada getting Campral, but it sounds like you want to try topa.
      That's what I'm taking(topa), and have pretty good success with it, at only 100 mg. Have you tried going to a Dr. and telling them you'd like a topa p-script for migraines? It is recognized for that.Keep trying, something will work, be persistant!!

Comment

My story at last

Thanks guys! Maybe I will try to get the prescription through the migraine route....and it wouldnt even be a total 'excuse' since I do suffer from the ocassional migraine.
        Thanks for listening!

Comment

My story at last

Jen,

I also live in Canada (Ontario) and have been taking topamax prescribed by a very understanding doctor for the last 9 months. Topamax and this program has given me my life back.

In these last 9 months I have consumed less than a total of 4 litres of wine and 2 mixed drinks. For me that is amazing.
          I used to drink 6 litres a WEEK.

When I went on this program my mind and soul was determined to make it work because nothing else could help me.

With determination this program works and the results are so worth it.

Best of luck

CC

Comment

My story at last

some questions for those of you that have been

around for awhile. i'm on week 8 and have been dosing up to 250 mg of topamax. what i can tell is that where before i drank a bottle or more of wine a nite, i'm down to none unless i open wine. and i can go out and have maybe a glass or two. but at home if i start to open a bottle, my mind wants to keep drinking even if the body doesn't want it. so, i've decided that i am going to go the abs june route. yeahh. the challange i'm having is that my brain feels like a marshmellow. i have no motivation to work, no inclination to create sales which for a sales person on commission is wreaking havoc with my income. i've decided that sobriety is more important and i can live off of savings for a few months. and wondering can i dose down after week 12? i don't know if i should go to 300 mg. i mean wow, has anyone dosed up to that? i'm going to start taking co q 10 as well. maybe i should start the modas as i seem to have no ability to think big thoughts which isn't good for a realtor. help please. i feel like i'm hanging on by a thread.

Comment

My story at last

Re: some questions for those of you that have been

Hi SoberKimber,

Congratulations on your success. The first few months are one big hurdle and you made it.
              As I mentioned earlier in postings I have been on topamax since last September. During the dosing up stages I did find some weeks to be more difficult than others in terms of mental fuzzyness (even adding up a bunch of numbers was a chore) and extreme tiredness. I remember thinking 'oh no what's next'. But the next week was always better.
              The book suggests supplements to overcome the side effects of the medication. You may want to check those out.
              I have now been on 300mg for some time now and have no intention of stopping in the immediate future. It's working just fine for me.

All the best

CC

Comment

My story at last

Re: some questions for those of you that have been

Hi, Jenneh and welcome. Glad you found the board- I just arrived two weeks ago but it helps a lot. I cannot open a bottle so I am trying for abs instead of mods. I got the book and CDs - man, I wrote a rant on the CDs but they are growing on me - you can find it you do a search on my screen name - before it is rock bottom, with the spaces. But anyway, this is a great group of folks and the chat room is great. I cannot offer advice on the topa or campral because I am not doing those but best of luck and hope to bump into you soon.
                Rock

Comment

Working...
                X