Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hypocondriact?

HI
    This is my very first posting. I am a 37 year old mom of 3, I'm a good mom, I'm home every night, I love my kids, they are older teenagers. I don't know right now if I consider myself an alcoholic, I think I have a problem but I always justify it. Last night I made a statement to a friend that made him say he thought I might need help. I don't get falling down drunk. I drink 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of wine a night, red. I never feel drunk but the next day I realize thinking back on the evening I was buzzed, not out of control or stupid, just feeling good. I had a pretty tough childhood, I did some drugs and quit by the time I was 19, even drinking. When I was about 27 I met a friend who liked to go to bars, I started drinking again pretty heavy to the point of blacking out or throwing up at least 3 times a week. After I met my current boyfriend of 4 years we didn't hang out in bars but continued drinking at home. Now I drink like I said, wine every night. The other night I told my friend "I only feel healthy when I drink" meaning I don't feel like I do during the day, I don't worry about my health because I don't get the scary feelings I get when I don't drink, when I don't drink I always feel like I'm going to pass out, my heart jumps around, I'm always nervous. But I've always been that way, drinking just makes it go away. My drinking isn't hurting anyone, I don't drink until I throw up or black out anymore, I just start when I get home and quit when I go to bed, I don't drink at work or before 4 on the weekends. I don't know what I am. I justify it by saying red wine is good for you, it fights cancer and heart disease and is a 1/2 - 3/4 a bottle that much? It's like 4 glasses. Wow I think nobody will want to read all this

hypocondriact?

i'm replying to my own post, how sad. I wanted to add, that I see alot about supplements and stuff, and that's part of my problem, I am scared to take anything.... will drink a bottle of wine no problem, but won't take an asprin if I have a headache, I get side effects from everything, I hate pills.

Comment

hypocondriact?

Hi...
      I think your concerns are legitimate. You know the old saying, "If you think you have a problem, then you probably do." But I also agree with you seem to have very controlled drinking patterns. I too stick to my red wine at night and love those benefits about the cancer and heart disease!

It doesnt sound like you are drinking an exorbitant amount, although the rule of thumb for women is no more than two glasses a day. My goal for moderation is one to two glasses of red wine a night, and no more. I too before starting this program was drinking about one bottle of red wine a night, but I also had the problem of occasionally overdoing it due to stress, celebrations, etc and really bombing it.

Anyway, the question I finally had to ask myself and you may want to think about, is not so much how much you are drinking b/c it doesnt sound like it is that much, but are you able to go without it? Would you be able to enjoy your evening if there were no wine? That's when I realized "wow"... I am "dependent" on this stuff to relax, etc b/c I get nervous at the thought of going an evening without it. So right now, I have been successful in working the program and getting my consumption into the healthy range of one to two glasses per evening, with occasional non-drinking evenings. My goal is to have more non-drinking evenings, and eventually not drink at all on week nights, and save it for weekends and social settings.

Hope this helps some... and I too just turned 37 with teenagers, so we have a little in common! Whatever you decide, there is lots of encouragement here if you just want to share, ask questions, or read posts. By the way, if you hate taking pills, one of the main parts of this program is the "All One" powder..... it comes in a can. You mix it with juice and take it in the morning. It makes you feel SO GOOD... tons of energy. It has helped me so much, and has the equivalent of about 20 vitamins without having to take vitamins....

All the best,
      Allie

Comment

hypocondriact?

It creeps up on you as the years go by. I am 47 and up until almost a week ago could down a liter of red wine every night. Drinking becomes a lifestyle especially when you live with someone that tolerates it. If you continue, blackouts will become common. You wake up in the morning wondering if you brushed your teeth the night before! God forbid the house got on fire, what a mess I would have been in front of the fireman and red cross.
        Herbs are pretty harmless. I have found the Kudzu and Calms Forte helpful to get me past the first few days while waiting for the other stuff in this program. Even if I have to do a few commonly prescribed drugs it beats the damage accessive drinking has done on my body.
        You have a chance to nip this in the bud discreetly.
        Good Luck

Comment

hypocondriact?

Also, the first few day of detox will prepare you for menopause! And trust me you don't want to be a heavy drinker during that phase of your life!
          I don't know how I survived it.

Comment

hypocondriact?

Thank you so much, I have made my goals "only on the weekends, no more than one or two glasses a night" it never happens, I think I need to just stop all together for a while and see how it goes.

thank you so much
            Gina

Comment

hypocondriact?

Gina,
              I was never able to stick to that commitment to myself either until I started taking the Topamax. I know you dont want to take anything, but if you choose moderation at some point, this really works. I dont WANT anymore than two glasses, and that is unheard of for me. It just changes my brain chemistry in regards to the alcohol. But if you dont want to take anything, then abstinence is probably your best bet if you have the willpower for it.

Have a great weekend, and keep posting!

Allie

Comment

hypocondriact?

Thank you- is topomax a prescription? I work for a family doc, I could ask him about it, I'm really scared of side effects, everything gives me side effects, plus I've had trouble with heart arrythmia in the past and don't want to take anything that will mess with my heart... like I said hypo! please give me more info on the topomax does is it a stimulant at all? does it make you feel weird?
                Thanks
                Gina

Comment

hypocondriact?

If you have issues with your heart, then definitely see your doctor. I dont have any health issues, so I crossed my fingers and ordered off-shores. I have had great success. But I would not reccomend that if you are concerned about any health issues.

I think Topamax is more "brain-geared" than heart geared, but I am no doctor. So, if you have any concerns, please find out before hand!

Allie

Comment

hypocondriact?

Hi Gina, I have to agree with Vicki and Allie as there comments are spot on. I was like you too and it did sneak up on me and it is much harder to stop when it does. I also don't have pills in the house and was terrified of starting. I am on campral now and it is working great. I really needed time and distance from alcohol and now that I have it I know I can rationally think about how and if I want it in my life.

I hope it works for you too. You have a great opportunity to get it under control before it becomes a bigger issue in your life.

Yvonne

Comment

hypocondriact?

Hey just thought id write to you

Hi i have been threw quite alot lately and i think im suffering from hypocondriact its so horrible, my heart races all the time i wish i could escape from it.

Comment

hypocondriact?

Hi, I'm on day 4 and shocked that I havent gotten into the rum!!! I am reading the book and taking the kudzoo and amino acids.I'm hesitant to start the topamax because I'm a little... spacie already. I'm afraid my senior moments would just take over. My 13 yr old treats me like I'm the village idiot to begin with which makes me want to drink all the more. Its amazing how my whole life revolved around drinking and my family really seems in the dark as to the extent of it. I work at home (artist) so I was able the have my after lunch coctails. No wonder my business has dwindled. I seem to have a very short attention span and it is taking forever to get my work done. My husband has been in AA for 2 years and now drinks on sat. (olot) He says he looks forward to it so much and then he is able to give it up for the week. What a slippery slope. I certainly have enjoyed it because the rum comes out of hiding for a day. He doesnt realize I've gone though another bottle during the week along with my case of breath mints. It certainly is odd to have a clear brain in the morning- I pray I can make it through the weekend without caving in. My goal is moderation after a month but I dont know if thats possible without the topa. Ive been a drinker from 16 to 45. I'm painfully shy and would flip out in an AA meeting. I am so hopeful about this whole program and love reading and relating to the stories.

Comment

hypocondriact?

It's pretty amazing, reading everyone's stories. People have such beautiful things to say! I have been reading the stories over and over, and it seems that people are having some great success with Topa. I am very excited by the prospect of this working.
                          I have tried many times over to beat this thing. I am a professional (lawyer) and I am 29. I have been drinking heavily since age 17. I live in Canada with a great boyfriend who has been my partner for 6 years. He really wants to get married but tells me he wants to wait to make sure that I can somehow show him I can control my drinking first. he is terrified that our (future) kids might suffer because of this.
                          I am always, with few exceptions, the drunkest person at a party. I can tell myself I will just stick to a few beers etc. but inevitably, I always turn to the hard liquor or the wine and then I end up embarassing myself or my boyfriend/friends. There have been a few times he has had to put me to bed, because I get so ridiculous. Another time, my best friend had to call another friend to come and get me from a Wedding Shower because I was so wasted I was sick all over the bathroom.
                          I have gone to AA meetings (my mother is in AA) but felt pressured to feel or act a certain way or accept their mantra, and I just don't relate to it. I really want to gain control (if possible) of this thing. I am not interested in total abstinence (at least for now) but would love it if I could learn to be moderate.
                          Thanks for listening.

Comment

hypocondriact?

!!!!!! no ur not that bad

I hav kids, im 40 this year, i hav drunk because of things,contact me on my email

Comment

hypocondriact?

ur not bad

I hav kids, im 40 this year, i hav drunk because of things,contact me on my email. jue1966@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X