Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for reassurance

3/10/06

I just downed all the supplements. Everything but the all in one powder and the topamax. I thought it might help make tomorrow easier. I still have yet to really admit there is even a problem?that I have let my consumption escalate to the point that now it is hard to stop. I so relate to those of you who describe quitting drinking for a while and convince yourself that there was no problem to begin with. I spent most of last spring and summer not drinking. I promised myself I wouldn?t begin again until Labor Day. I tweaked this, of course as I had a wedding to attend in late August. I told myself that I had done so well I could certainly cut it short. I had proved I could take it or leave it. Well after the wedding I really took it. I think subconsciously I started making up for all the drinks I had denied myself the previous months.

My younger child is four. I had a very scary birth experience that activated my genetically inherited predisposition for both depression and alcohol abuse. Some days it feels like life is passing me by and I take hold of very little of it. I find I often am just ?filling time? till I can open that first beer. It is 4:06pm now?right about time. I grew up hearing my heavy drinking Irish relatives justify opening the booze anytime of the day by exclaiming, ?It?s happy hour someplace in the world?.

I drink expensive beer. Has to be micro brewed, I pride myself on supporting the local economy by staying loyal to the regional beers. I would rather stay sober then drink anything light or cheap (this must also mean I do not have a problem with alcohol) Sometimes I open a bottle of chardonnay. It is unusual for me not to finish it on my own. The amount of beer seems more acceptable. I often stop at 3 beers. On the weekends or if I am at a gathering sometimes I add 1-2 more. If I consume more than 5 beers, I?ll black out. After that wedding I referred to I really went wild. A normal late summer evening- a stroll through town, dinner with the kids and my husband, an art opening, a pottery show. I think I filled a 16 oz. plastic cup with wine before LEAVING town to go home. This was after I was already slurring my words and feeling wasted. We arrived home. I poured myself out of the car and started walking into our field. I told the family I needed some air. My husband put the kids to bed. He said if he had not heard me puking behind the wood pile he might not have found me. I?m not certain I would have made it back inside. It was cold out and the dogs were lying next to me. It was humiliating. I am so thankful that I do not have stories to share that involve my kids or the law. I?m not sure that if I don?t do something now I?ll be telling those stories.

I?m bet I?m not alone in wondering when it was that I lost control. I drank like a fish in college. It was different then. I really could take it or leave it. It never occurred to me to drink outside of a drinking event. Now I prefer to drink alone. I?ll prime myself before going out socially so no one will notice how much I drink and so I get enough. There is nothing more uncomfortable then the host putting the alcohol away and serving coffee! Needless to say I host most of the social events.

I have the most wonderful psychiatrist. She has helped me through this very dark time of post partum depression (4years worth). I came clean with her about the alcohol thing about a year ago. I wanted reassurance that I did not have a problem. As any good psychiatrist will tell you?I was the one who needed to answer that question.

So here I am?planning to start tomorrow- on my dead father?s birthday (he was not an alcoholic and I miss him terribly) I thought choosing a day with some symbolism might help some. I am scared to death it won?t work. If it doesn?t what will I do? I want my old life back.
    Thanks for listening. I?ve been a voyeur on this site for a couple of months. Your stories have been so reassuring and your support of one another gives me hope. I look forward to your (gentle) comments.

Purple Jenny

Hi Purple Jenny- Welcome! I am only 10 days into March Madness and have ups and downs with it. I don't have any great words of wisdom to share but I do find a lot of strength from the people on this site. I think the kudzu is also a big help. I had no problem getting a prescription for topa and am taking it also. I am not sure what is working the most, everyone here would say the combination of it all and I must agree. I have not gone 10 days without alcohol in years and years. I have passed out in plenty of places and I know what you mean about the hostess of a party starting the pouring of coffee. The nerve!!! I prefer to drink alone too, and since I live alone, it has been way too easy. Once I graduated up to 2 bottles of wine per day, with some of it spilled all over nice rugs, nice furniture, nice clothing, etc... it became harder to deny the problem. I have not had any run ins with the law but it is only a matter of time if I keep up the same behavior. And then I would lose my job. I started March Madness with the aim of moderation and now I am beginning to wonder. The more days without alcohol, the more afraid I am becoming of it. If I do want to be a moderate drinker, I think the kudzu and topa can help achieve that , but I am wondering why I have it as a goal @ all. Anyway, I am glad you are here and please feel welcome.

Comment

Welcome Purple J,
      I think you will find a group of kindred souls here. I, with great trepidation, started on Jan 2. I thought of it an My Only Way Out because I didn't know what I was going to do if this didn't work. So I got all the supps, CD's, topa and did the exercise. I am truly amazed. I could and did easily put away 2 bottles plus of wine every night now its 2 glasses--I just don't want more.
      Best of luck to you on this journey. We are in this together.
      Pat

Comment

Purple,
        Welcome,
        I responded under the "just starting out" thread.
        Hope you get it. Any questions as you embark on this journey, feel free and ask!

Comment

courage

Gosh, this is hard..! I'm feeling very thoughtful about what I put away over the weekend. I'm a secret drinker and I'ts driving me crazy that I havn't got the courage to stay sober. I'm so scared of myself...

Comment

courage

you are not alone , surely identifying the problem is at least a start- my fear is that it will take a cataclismic event to make me stop, still I have cut back a lot in last week so........

Comment

courage

Many thanks for your reply..very thoughtful.
              I think, like many people that you keep trying for the sake of trying and hopefully, you get so sick to death of that that you just go with it and just 'do' it. Well, thats my theory anyway, its the actual practice bit that reinforces it. One day....

Comment

Courage

Or perhaps finding the right approach /programme will be the key. I am optimistic - I have cut back a lot 7 days in 5 clear days 2 where I drank in the evening (but almost planned to do so!). Awaiting some materials and the book so looking to fully engage at that point. Good luck

Comment

Hi Jenny, it's Donna. We spoke a little on your thread last night. I too am from an I rish (catholic family). Our favorite saying is "It's noon somewhere", how scary is that. I am glad your husband was there for you, and the dogs as well!!!! I do feel your pain and humiliation!! I do think it is impressive that you were able to quit for most of the spring and summer. I think it is great that you can identify that the difficult birth and history of family depression could be your trigger point and start of the downslide. It sounds like you have some of idea when it started to get worse. I can relate to so much of your story....the priming before you go out, the liquer being put away before you're ready...but maybe relieved that it has. If you want to talk, I am here. I can say, being the mother of two teenagers, I wish I had your insight into this problem at your stage of life. Yes, your children may notice something a little off now, but nothing like as teenagers. It is GREAT you are addressing these issues now instead of later!! I wish I had not waited so long!! You are doing a GREAT THING!! Email me any time you want!! Keep strong!!!

Donna

Comment

Canadians?

Wow, it's so interesting all the things we do and the stories we share! I also (a) often have a couple of drinks before going out with friends so people don't know how much I am really drinking (b) get extremely agitated when the liquor gets put away and the coffee comes out (in fact, I often don't stay too much longer after that point - how terrible!) (c) hide alcohol and drink when my boyfriend isnt looking......its amazing how creative we get when it comes to being able to drink.
                    Like, pretending you have to go to the grocery store and buying alcohol and drinking in the car. Terrible. It's not funny and it has to stop. What is the cost of these meds and other elements of the program?
                    Anyone here from Canada?

Comment

Working...
                    X