modders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

modders

seen a thread earlier,and out of respect i came here,what do you do when you feel like having a drink,i have ONE,WHAT ABOUT YOU

modders

Hiya gyco, I dont have a drink and I am pleased about that, but I know what its like to want one. How are you today?
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

modders

hi Gyco
      I am still working on that. I am taking kudzu and l glut. I am not where I want to be - yet! How about you?
      Lila

Comment

modders

Good question for modders gyco! Very thought provoking.

I posted the following on a similar thread as I am doing 30days AF before modding:

'When the kids were little they would whine for a candy before dinner or other things that were inappropriate. As their mom I would say "no". I have a little kid voice inside me. When that little kid voice starts to whine and say "I want a margarita (glass of wine, beer, etc)" my "mom voice" must step in and say "no". Mom is in charge. She is the adult.'

That was actually an excerpt from my personal journal notes fom this past Sunday.

When I do start moderating my plan is that when I want a drink I will first check my motives. If I want a drink to soothe negative emotions or out of loneliness, despair, and other "triggers" I am identifying for myself, I hope to kick into the above "mom" or "adult" mode and tell that little kid "no, not a good time!"

If I am having dinner with family or friends and want to have a drink with them socially, I hope to be able to say yes and to be able to stop at one or two.

Great thread!

periwinkle :l
        Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

modders

Hi Gyco,
          Always great to see your posts. I have a glass of flavored seltzer in a wine glass.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

modders

i am glad some posted here,and it is interesting no negativeness,cause i posted in modders,gyco is doing well,and thnx for asking,you are all dear to my heart,i read your threads when ever they pop up ,beleive me when i say i no where you are,somtimes we have to weigh both sides,to me its a comfort zone,ive found over the years its not hard to stop or even want to,its staying stopped,i am on a different road this time,i havent hit oblivion yet or want to,have i say i lerned my lesson,at this point like all of you,i dont no,havent modded long enuff to find out yet,but the longr im here all find out,do i likee it here ,somtimes,do i miss not drinking,i dont no,somtimes it was harder watching all around me drink,and think of the pain it mt cause one day for them,i do no like abstinance of AL,in modding as of now,it is the same,someone once told ,and the same here today,ive found when the little,bell goes off in my head,i say ,STOP,AND SO FAR IT WORKED,INTERESTING YOUR GYCO

Comment

modders

Yes!

Agree with Sunbeam, it's all about motive... intention. If I need the drink for negative reasons... i.e. I'm not in a good place/ mood, then what I'll try to do is drink a bottle of water instead... so much water that I don't/ can't drink anything else/ dont want to, or a cup of strong-ass coffee, or some tea... or.... ANYTHING that'll keep me away from the Sauce. Or a long walk and a lot of deep breaths. Or come on here and read some posts from my gang of fellow modders/ beautiful people.

Of course there are and will be those dark days when... I just need a drink. Plain and simple. Haven't hit that yet since I began (it's been a VERY short time), so I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Comment

modders

Hi Gyco
                If I feel the urge to drink I take an L-glut and then I just sort of look at it or think about it objectively and I think now why would I want to do that when look at the damage it did me the last time - the urge goes away after a while. I also come on here and read some posts and other peoples struggles and successes really gives me strength. I applied the same practice when I was modding as I didnt drink anytime I felt like it I only drank in a given set of circumstances except that I buggered that up by not sticking to my rules.
                BH

Comment

modders

Great thread Gyco!
                  I still have a ways to go but when the urge hits I like to think of the H.A.L.T acronym. Normally I don't get past the H for hungry and once I have a snack or meal the urge to drink subsides.
                  I am also a huge fan of my bucket load of supps - I have noticed that if I forget to take them then the "thoughts" do become stronger.... all in the mind? ..... don't know, but it works for me.
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

modders

I try to have something else to drink instead. But I'm curious about the HALT - what is that? I got that the H is "hungry".

Comment

modders

Hungry, angry, lonesome, tired (I think).
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

modders

Remember H.A.L.T

***********Moderation*************
                        -----------------doesn't mean
                        -------------------having a drink
                        -----------just because we want one!
                        "Stealin' the young girls hearts...
                        just like Gene and Roy.
                        Singin' those campfire songs..
                        Oh, I shoulda been a cowboy."

Comment