Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nov. 9 - Sun. Daily Thread

Hi Everyone:

Last night I went to an art opening. There were plenty of nice munchies & great wine, but I stuck to water. I was able to see single instead of double...that's a good thing when you're looking at paintings. I bumped into an old acquaintance whom I hadn't seen for a while. I asked her what she'd been doing, & she told me (quite out of the blue) that she had joined AA & had been sober for almost 2 years. I almost felt the hand of God in that coincidence of seeing her & having her tell me about herself. It's a message for me. Keep going abs. That's the life for me. There's no way I'd be where I am today wo/MWO & the acceptance of all of you. Thank you, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

That's fantastic, Mary! Did you tell her about your own situation with alcohol? I would love to have a buddy nearby to talk to about this stuff, have coffee with, and so forth...

Busy today shuffling stuff around... getting rid of lots of Mother's stuff, and some of mine as well.

Have a good day, everyone!

wip

Comment

Wow, that is really neat, Mary! I'm glad it reinforced in you the plan to stay AF.

On a side note, whenever I used to hear that someone was in AA, I'd tend to think negatively of them (sorry to say). Now I understand that they have every reason to talk about it and feel proud! Overcoming this is such an intense inner battle and I find myself wanting to shout out to the world that I am AF. I don't think someone who hasn't battled this can truly understand what a victory it is to gain control and overcome it.
      Now I view people in AA and others struggling with new eyes. They are beautiful warriors with unbelievably strong will and courage and who continue the fight no matter what. I'm truly proud to be part of such an awesome group! :l
      You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Morning all
        Mary, glad you had fun at the art opening...I too, wish I had someone close to share all this with. It is not as simple as just giving up the booze...I have so many conversations with myself, I exhaust me!!!
        I am not a group type person, I did AA for a while many moon's ago, and although it was a woman's group and we shared that common bond, sharing with strangers was just not for me.
        Off to do a few errands, then out in the yard to rake the leaves...Hope everyone has a great Sunday....
        sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

There are stigma's...You say wino and imagine an old drunk bum on a street corner...While there is...Its proberly more lawyers and doctors...housewives...husbands..Any stress filled lifestyle that drink become the crutch..
          Drink just effects everyone does'nt it..
          Its like when i hear the word druggie..I frown...And i bet the same applies..
          I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
          One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

I’m sitting here wallowing in my guilt. I did not intend to or plan it out but ended up drinking last night. And I drank enough to make me not want to drink again…ever.
            I have the whole range of emotions going on here, guilt, shame, remorse… you know, all the usual ones. But mostly I am sorry. I know I have disappointed more than just myself.

Back square to one.

nat
            Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi guys. Had a lovely evening with grandsons. They spent the night and we played cards, made a cake and just had a wonderful time.

OMW, we all very well know how you are feeling. Not only are you dealing with the physical aftermath, you are dealing with the emotions.

Remember, our goal is AF, no doubt. However, none of us are perfect. We slip, fall and get back up. Eventually we will slip less and less.

Take care of yourself today.

Mary, what a great story. It is also really heartening to see people we know who have beat this.

Charlee, Macks, River, AWIP, and those to come (Det, Christy) have a relaxing Sunday.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

OMW, I think it's safe to say we all know how you feel. :upset:

Since it is Sunday, hope you all don't mind if I post this here instead of what we believe, just a phrase that jumped into my head when I was reading here: God's grace is stronger than your weakness.

Be good to yourself today, remember you do not fail unless you give up. :l

Comment

Take all them feelings Nat..And remember how shit awful it feels..Use them as part of your new armoury..
                  We know how much it hurts..We are with you no matter what..:l
                  I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                  One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

OMW: I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've been there many times in the year & a half of my MWO membership. In fact, I felt the way you do just a few short days ago. You'll get back into your program, but I know from experience that there is a grieving process when a relapse occurs. Perhaps it was better that you REALLY relapsed. For me, there is no denial of "maybe I can have a drink now & then."

As far as a buddy here to share my recovery with: I don't have one, & for many reasons, I probably won't get one. MWO is my lifeline. This is the place I can be honest about myself. Without all of you I'd be completely alone w/this struggle. So, all I can say is: "Thank God for MWO."

Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Happy Sunday AB friends far and wide!

Mary what a wonderful occurrence, a sign indeed.

River your post was a delight to read, and ditto!
                      It's embarrassing now to think of how I thought of people in recovery when
                      I was still in the bottle. yikes.

OMW, glad you are back so soon...you sound ready to put your foot down.

big hugs for all the rest of you loves and all to come....

i'm off to the range for day two of my class. weeeeeeeee

be well
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mary - something like that happened to me a few months ago when I really going gangbusters with this - and I took it as a sign too.

OMW - last week I was where you were last night. We had a complete change of plans last minute (for the good) and I let the energy consume me - as I consumed way too much. I'm happily on day 9 right now - so come join me!

I hope everyone has a great day. I am heading to the Capitol to see the craze of inauguration construction.

Comment

Hi guys!

Well this time change really messes me up! I feel so unmotivated and tired in the afternoons and the evenings are soooooo long! Yesterday the boys and I went to a friend's house to watch the football game. This is a group I'm comfortable around even though they are all drinking and I am not. There was lots of good food for me to munch on--that helps me so much! When we got home I watched "P.S. I Love You"--:upset Good chick flick I might add)
                          while hubby drank beer and picked at the kids. He told my son he hates the fact that I bury my head in the sand whenever the subject of politics and the world situation comes up. I have told him countless times that I simply choose not to worry myself sick over things I have absolutely no control over. I do what I can, but honestly I hate discussing things that cause conflict and separate people. I would much rather focus on my family and being happy. He claims he is happy too, but he sure doesn't act like it. Makes me sad.....

I truly hope everyone has had an enjoyable Sunday. I hope you guys that have had slips know that you have not let me down! I appreciate your honesty--please keep coming back, ok?
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi everyone!

OMW--I know you feel like total shit, mentally, physically, and emotionally, but you won't give up and that's what matters. Don't beat yourself up....you cannot change what happened, learn from it. As MAck said, remember those feelings and use them then next time you feel like drinking. Just on't give up....we all slip one time or another.....we are only human, we aren't perfect....if we were, we wouldn't be here!

LVT--I LOVED the movie PS I love you! What a great movie! He is GORGEOUS!!!!! Such sweet sentiments.....I too avoid political debates, or any debates for that matter. I avoid the news...people may think I am ignorant, but I prefer not to upset myself over things I cannot change. I have enough on my plate at home! I know that sounds selfish, but one thing I learned was, pick my battles. Sounds like he was having an off, crusty day and needed to vent......

Well, I am cold and tired right now...I am going to have a nice HOT bath...and read some of my vampire book....the second in the Twilight saga....interesting read.

I will check in again for a chat after my steamy bath!!!
                            AF July 6 2014

Comment

LVT, I feel your pain. That pick pick pick is excruciating. I find it even more so sober, as before I could anesthetize myself and handle it. Now, through sober eyes, I am just lost as to how to keep going.

On a more upbeat note, I've passed that movie several times at Blockbuster and almost grabbed it. Now I will make sure I pick it up, sounds great! We watched The Borrowers instead (funny but older flick the kids enjoyed).
                              Happy Sunday evening to all...

Comment

Working...
                              X