a new story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a new story.

Dont know why I'm doing this but the urge has taken me....

first time I came here 6 months ago I wrote a pathetic blurb which hardly reflected anything of my potential and only blurted out my frustration and depression... and didnt do that very well either.

For the next two weeks after I found this site I hid in the background.. reading.. amased.. terrified. Then I had to find out the logistics of what went on here.. I mean.. were these people who sounded like me REAL? was I really not alone.. and then how do I communicate with these people.. communicating with them makes me feel like I'm admitting something I've struggled admitting.. so I did it incognito.. testing the waters.. seeing who responded and trying to work out my response.. still feeling guilty because I'm still in hiding.. ashamed.

On top of that I decide to go cold turkey abstinent. Discussions ensued about my decision to go without meds.. people tried to disuade me and being obstinate like I am I just resisted.. boy it was hard.. tough does not describe it... and my confidence started to grow.

but then feelings would come in that would surprise me. I'd be so strong and wham, I'd feel weak. I'd come to this site and read and reflect for hours.. I knew EVERY post on the site.. I must have read them 1000 times.

Time was something that helped me.. over time I stopped being so surprised at being another day sober and I sort of started to accept that I WOULD be sober that night. That was when I decided to tell my husband what I thought I'd been hiding for so long. Another agony for me to share on the board.. people supported me.. but once again.. I just had to take the bull by the horns and just do it.. and immediately afterwards.. here I came to share the story.

I never thought I'd make 6 weeks.. but I did.. then I doubted I could make three months.. but I did.. and now I'm at 6 months and I know I can make a year. What a difference a day makes!!!! cos it happened a day at a time.

Im still not sure I'll ever do moderation.. but my story has changed since I came here and I encourage anyone who wants to change to read read read and to listen to their own heart and make the change..

boy its worth it.
    Brigid

a new story.

It has been an inspiration reading your story. It reminds me so much of myself. I am not doing as good as you though. I too am doing it cold turkey. Originally planned to go six weeks but fell off the wagon at 5 and a half weeks as we were away over Easter and started taking wine again. Am now doing a months abstinance and will take it from there. Would love to go down the moderation road but may not be able to. Reading about people like you makes me feel that I too will be able to achieve my goals and it s great to feel that you are not alone.

Comment

a new story.

Brigid,

I am glad that you wrote this story, and the first story as well! I think it is inspirational to say the least to see the tranformation you have come through in the last six months!! My first day of the program I couldn't wait for 7 days, then I couldn't wait for four weeks, now, I am 2 days away from six weeks. You are so right, it happens ONE day at a time!!

Congratulations on coming so far! If this story is not a "positve spin" on the determination it takes to come through to the other side, I don't know what is!!

Donna

Comment

a new story.

Brigid,
        You are truly an inspriation. I want to join you, but that is looking to far ahead for me as you realize it was hard for you to look so far ahead. I am going to print off your story and look at it any time I am struggling and remember that I can make it just as you did.

Congrats and keep up the great work!
        hugs ((((Brigid))))

Marcie

Comment

a new story.

Brigid

Yes thankyou so much for your story.You really are a true insperation.Iam only on day 4,and I cannot see that far ahead so I have to take one day at a time.It really helps though when we can read stories like yours,it is possible.

URSULA

Comment

a new story.

Congratulations Brigit!

Going cold turkey without the help of meds must have been one big challenge. You are one strong lady. I hope you have rewarded yourself along the way...you certainly deserve it.

I wish you and everyone here continued success.

CC

Comment

a new story.

Thanks so much for sharing your success story. Hearing stories and comments such as those that follow up, is so incouraging to us newbies. I just started the program today, and today is all I see. When I look at six months, it scares me. So that is going to be my motto, One Day At A Time.
              E.

Comment

a new story.

Brigid;

I'm crying happy tears for your outstanding courage and continued success and be Proud of yourself because you've shown us it can be done!

Brandy

Comment

a new story.

Wow, Brigid.
                  I just saw this NOW...
                  I get to eat some humble pie today. Guess I can understand some of the frustration from last wk (sorry to bring it up AGAIN, but hadn't seen this way down here!!)
                  You are an amazing lady with tremendous determination. I hope we can become better friends and continue to learn from each other.
                  I truly hope everyone continues to learn and benefit from each others stories. We share, we learn, we move forward.
                  Becca

Comment

a new story.

Re: a new story

Becca, thanks.. I kinda needed this.

maybe we can have a feast of humble pie together.. i'm quite a good cook!!!!! (but I like mine spicy - and without nuts!!!)

kiss kiss (thats a french air kiss!!! - if you know what I mean)

you hang in there Becca.. you're doin great.
                    Brigid

Comment

a new story.

Re: a new story

No Brigid,

Those kisses go

"mwah! mwah!"

Tawny
                      (_E=mc2_)

Comment

a new story.

Brigid,
                        Thank you for your wonderful story. You have given me so much hope.
                        Lots of Love
                        Shas

Comment

a new story.

Brigid, You should be so proud of yourself for quiting cold turkey. I could never have done it without all the help from every phase of this program. I admire anyone with a will strong enough to make up their mind to stop and just do it, no matter how hard it is. I have a very long way to go to get where you are even using the program, but that is my goal. My hat's off to you. Congratulations, and keep up the good work. Eliziby

Comment

Working...
                          X