Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully the end of my nightmare

Hi All,

Found this site today and I am sooo happy I did. I thought I was the only one too! I was also surprised at the number of ladies who have a drink problem and that is what spurred me on to take action today.

I don't drink on Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's.

On Thursday I have four cans of VERY strong sider from 7.00pm when I put my one-year old baby to bed and 4 year old son (who goes at 7.30pm)

On a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night it feels that it is the LAW that I have to have a drink. Period. And not just that, but I have to have the strongest wine I can find in the shop.

My husband only has a few beers. Me, I drink two bottles of 12-13% wine each weekend night. Consequently, I can never remember going to bed and have have blackouts every time I drink.

The next morning I have to be up early for the children. My eyes are bloodshot, I have no energy whatsoever and it is a real strain just to do normal things with my family.

I hate myself for this but absolutely cannot stop or cut down, then I hate myself a bit more.

I try dieting as I need to lose about 24 pounds. But obviously I can never really lose weight because of all the calories in wine and cider. I have been deeply depressed about my drinking and my weight.

However, I came across this site, bought everything and I pray and hope that this will work for me and I can change my life around and actually start liking myself again.

I've told my husband about this programme and he is really happy that I am doing something about it.

I'll keep posting to let you know how I get on and I will continue to look into this forum every day.

Claire

Welcome, Claire.

That's what first got me hooked on this site ... the fact that there were others, just like me.

Just keep reading, you'll be amazed. Start the programme. You'll be even more amazed.

Tawny

Comment

Thanks Tawny,

Just ordered the stuff today so it will be a few days before I get it.

It's only Monday, but am worrying about the weekend coming up already and have started 'arguing' with myself if I should have a drink or not this weekend as I doubt my my cd/supps will come before then.

Then again, I could say that this is my last weekend of drinking heavily! Mmmm. I argue with myself every single day about not having a drink. I always always end up having a drink (Thursday through to Sunday)

Anyway, that is all about to change!

Comment

yes

Sounds like me. I used to go for taste in wine, now I find myself looking for the wine that is 14% or higher. I refuse to buy wine that is below 13%. My wife even made the comment that the stuff I'm buying is too strong, she can't even get through a whole glass. "More for me," my brain says. I finish what's left in her glass while she's not looking.

Comment

Re: yes

Snicker!

Years and years ago, the first time around with this demon, (before drug testing was widespread) I used to steal my husband's cocaine when he went to the bathroom!

Comment

Re: yes

Oh no, I have to confess.... would usually start to drink the first bottle before my partner got home from work, and then there would be none or almost none left for him, so I would persuade him to go get another and then drink all that too - regardless of what argument ensued!!! What a manilpulative b*tch:evil . I don't miss her at all.

Comment

Hi Bowzey

Forgot to say welcome! Glad you've found us, good luck with everything.

Lulu x

Comment

Welcome Claire,

You sound exactly like me last weekend!! I started the program full force a week ago today.....everthing by the book!! I argued with myself (and lost) about the last weekend of drinking. The good thing is, is that you have found this sight. You also sound determined to make it work....that is really so very important to your success!! it is also nice that your husband is on your side, mine is too. Keep posting, let us know how it is going!

Comment

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging messages.

I still cannot believe I have come across this wonderful site. The only other option I saw yesterday when searching online to get out of this whole was the AA - and no way was I going to stand up in front of strangers and tell them I am an alcoholic. I'm not, I am only a part-time alcoholic/problem drinker. I am sure there is a difference. 8o

Comment

Hi Bowzey

Wecome I am glad that you found us! I am going to be blunt , and please dont take offense but there are no part time alcoholics, I did not drink for 14mths but I was still an alcoholic! (Horrible word!) I will always be an alcoholic , but one how does not drink. Sorry to bring you down to earth but its where we live, think about what I have said, you will find loads of support here, people in the same or simular situation. I wish you all the very best and sorry once again if this post seems harsh.
                    Whitestar

Comment

Hi Whitestar

No offence taken, I was actually joking when I said part-time alkl!

But yes, I have totally come down to earth since visiting this site. But you cannot help think 'why me?', 'why can't I be normal like other people?'.

Well, no time to dwell on those questions. Still waiting for my cd/supps to come in the post and hopefully I can straighten things out.

Thanks

claire

Comment

Bowzy, Hey I've made those promises not to drink , cut down, etc. a bazillion times. I started the program yesterday after a stutter start last week. The difference is that last week I didn't make any promises and I use words like I'll try. After reading what so many women like me go through, I'm a lot easier on myself. I actually admitted to the doctor and the med tech(who seemed very interested in the program) that I wanted meds for alcohol abuse. They didn't judge and in fact I found that we are our own worst critics. My husband is also supportive, yet he can also be an enabler and a controll freak, so I am doing this for me. I think he's afraid of that acoholic label on me.. Too bad Sooo Sad....Isn't it amazing how the first three days can be fine and then somehow we can justify on the 4th because we didn't drink for three. Hope to see you back tomorrow. keke

Comment

HOW DO I GET HELP FOR MY HUSBAND

my husband goes through a 24case a beer a day. He does not admit that he has a problem. He does not listen to anyone. All night he is up making accusations and very violent thoughts aloud. I have two children and i am at the end of my line with him. he has even started to make trouble for me at work. how do i get him to start sobering up???

Comment

Re: HOW DO I GET HELP FOR MY HUSBAND

Concern Wife,

I do not know how to get your husband to start sobering up. My husband pleaded with me for months to get help but I was too depressed to hear those pleads. May I suggest that you post your story under the "General Disscussion" Board (it is six up from this one). I believe you will get much more response there, and I know someone with much more experience than I will probably be able to offer you some advice. I do wish you the VERY best of luck!!

Donna

I also shuold have told you that you start a new post by cliking on the "new topic" button" in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Comment

Working...
                            X