matty's story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

matty's story

My name is Matty. I just happened to find this great website on accident. I am 31 and have been in the Navy for 12 years. Drinking and the Navy have always been associated, so right off the get go I was always around beer, etc. Lucky for me I have always been physically active and fit....so the years went by, no trouble or career red flags to speak of. I got married last July to a beautiful woman that has stuck with me for the past 5 years. We both enjoy drinking, so that made things easy. Here is the funny part. I rarely, if ever drink during the week. To tell you the truth, I don't even think about it. Now here is the killer. As soon as Friday rolls around its an all out beer fest. I drink sometimes until I pass out, waking up the next day without any memory of when I went to bed. It makes me so mad! I feel it might take over someday and can't stand the fact of going down in flames to BEER. One more thing. This may sound shallow, but I want to look fit and strong....in the end a person can't be that way drinking 15-20 beers every weekend! Can your program fend off the weekend destruction?

matty's story

matty's story

Hi Matty,
    I think you will find many similar stories to yours around the traps. Most of us are successful people when we are in our usual clothes and life, but underneath lurks the torrid drinking story that troubles us. My work colleagues had no idea I had this problem (still dont).. and neither did my husband... and most of us hide it all very well.

Your trigger might be friday.. you might think, I'm not an alcoholic cos its only the weekend that this happens.. I dont know if you are an alcoholic or not but if you are here, there is something really worrying you.

This is a place of honesty and sharing and very powerful, the more you get involved. This is a place where you can share what you usually hide and that is very healing and helpful on our journeys.

My drink of choice 'was' wine. Moderation has simply not worked for me, so I'm doing abstinence. It was very tough at first and not drinking is one of a range of approaches I"m making to my life to turn this around.

My hope is that we all move forward on our journey to inner peace.

Welcome
    Brigid

Comment

matty's story

Matty,
      Thanks for posting your story. One of the things you may find is that drinking evolves over the years ... you're still pretty young. You may be a weekend drinker now, but if you're not careful, that can eventually spill over to the weekdays too. I haven't been coming to this site very long, but one thing I have found, is these folks are very honest and have a lot to offer. I think as people we all gravitate toward those like us. I hope you'll find the support you need. I think this program can be used and be successful for anyone who is a problem drinker.

Gracie

Comment

matty's story

Gracie,

You are so right.

Matty, I am sure in you're younger days you partied during the weekdays with your pals just like I did in college. As you turned into a professional it is now only the weekends. As you get older or atleast in my case it is/will become harder to party it up on the weekends. For me it became ok to celebrate during the week as well for some stress release.

What is the big deal I would say. I used to drink all the time and still make it to 7 am classes. Gracie has some good words of wisdom for you. Drinking 20 beers over the weekend is something you should work on now before it spills over to the weekdays.

This program can help. Welcome.

-Nina

Comment

matty's story

Matty

Hey Matty

I started out that way 10 years ago - drinking during the week was just plain wrong to me........untilllll.....an occasional drink during the week didn't seem so bad, especially if I'd had a hard day. Then the spiral began. Kudos to you for realizing this glitch early on, I think you will find some great support here. Keep reading and posting and let us all know how you are doing. As of yet, I haven't posted "my" story, I'm trying to edit it down from a thousand pages! I give you credit pal!

Marie

Comment

matty's story

Thanks for the insight and support everybody. I really enjoy reading all the unique stories and have gained a respect for this program and people involved. I will continue to be a part of this forum. I am very curious how effective the meds can be coupled with the program.

Comment

matty's story

Hello Matty, I just wanted to let you know the Topomax works real well at curbing the cravings for alcohol. I, like you, was mostly a week-end alcoholic for 40+ years. I always justified it to myself as something I deserved(...get away from boredom, bonus for working hard, etc.). I, like you, am married to a wonderful wife. At age 58, I now look back and think about how much hardship my little drunken episodes created for my loving wife; how much money I've spent over the years(it sounds as though you may be spending $1500+ a year on beer; multiply that by 10, 20 or 30 years from now...), and I really wish I would have discovered this program many years ago. Also, it is amazing how you begin to enjoy the use of your other senses(eyes for seeing & ears for listening), when drinking is not distracting you.
              I am currently not drinking at all during Lent, which I have done for the past few years. Using Topomax at the 50mg-100mg level, 3-4 beers is all I want(..versus the 12 pack or 1.5l of wine I used to drink.)
              Good luck and God Bless!

Comment

matty's story

First-time Visitor

Hello, all. Have sampled a number of posts.

My heavy drinking really escalated after my divorce when I was living -- ALONE-- over three years ago. That's the worst. Last night, out then home, probably 16 beers total, facing work the next day (off yesterday--drinking began around 3pm and went on for several hours. Just now (3:00 EST) feeling semi-recovered. Last night is very foggy. Awoke this morning with rapid heartbeat. Over the last couple of years I know the drinking has contributed to unwanted weight gain. I need to lose 20 pounds.

Tonight I see my girlfriend (have known her for about three months). Although she can down a bottle of wine (not always), she says she never drinks alone. I have displayed occasional excess with her, but she has no idea of my excess when I'm alone.

I also smoke. In my case it is very bound up with the alcohol. I call it the "milk and cookies" effect. If one is not present, my desire for the other is lessened considerably. I have had two cigarettes all day. When I go home, if I were to consume over the course of an evening, say half a bottle of scotch, I would smoke more than half a pack. I don't go to bars where smoking is prohibited.

Pretty low-self esteem right now. I try not to rationalize. No excuses. I know something needs to be done. One thing I am sure of and I was wondering if this occurred to anyone else: in my case, it's easier to have none than one. It's like moderation is not an option.

Anyway, I have read many of the stories, some very sad. I guess it's all about regaining control over one's life in the face of adversity. Best wishes and prayers to everyone....

Joe

Comment

matty's story

Re: First-time Visitor

Hey Joe, been there, done that. My problem has always been the "what I do when alone" and not what I do with friends or out in public. I did quit smoking a year and a half ago, and although I have been assured that if I can quit smoking, I can quit drinking, it ain't so, Joe. (very old joke in there somewhere).

This is the place to come. Post and post often, and make friends here. Pour your heart out and you will find help. This site can help.

Welcome,
                  Ter

Comment

Working...
                  X