X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons to Quit Don't Outnumber all the Reasons Why

What a lie!
    Now that I have taken my kudzu, Calms Forte, read 'My Way Out', ordered the drugs, CD's and herbs.
    I need to document why I am here and why I want to stop drinking. I like to write, but don't do it well and I can't spell either but it is good theraphy. Maybe my feeble posting will encourage less confident posters.
    My wieght. I have gained over 35lbs from a size six to a fourteen over the last 12 years since drinking daily.
    My energy level. I was fading fast. When drinking have quite a few beers then sleep for two to three hours. Get up and drink some more beers for about an . Go back to bed for a few more hours. Go to work, if I had to, feeling grouchy, crabby and tired. On the weekends the only thing different was that I didn't have go to work.
    I am starting to look like a haggy lush. I just went three weeks past when I should have had my hair colored, I don't pay attention to my nails and wear lots of black to cover my out of shape body.
    I am no longer ambitist. My husband and I own our own business. We live in a small town. Because I have revolved my world around drinking once we established our business I don't participate in civic groups and activities that is essential to staying in business.
    My husband is worried that I will not outlast him. He hopes to have me around for quite a few more years and experiences.
    I haven't visited my family because I know I am a wreck My brother mentioned concern the last time I saw him over 4 years ago. He has enough on his plate without worring about me.
    I can't remember what I talked to anyone about the next day. That's so aggravating. So, the only person that I talk to while I am drinking is my husband. I don't take or make phone calles after 5:30pm on weekdays and after 9:00am on weekends.
    I also don't email, write letters to the editor, post or signup on websites or shop. (But that rule started just in the last few years).
    I get hairs up my ass that leads destructive or expensive behaviour.
    I don't want to be drinking and be discussed with myself and contemplate locking myself in the car with it running. Not good!
    I want to work in my garden.
    I want to take walks on the beach with my husband and dogs.
    I don't want to feel like crap anymore.
    So there you have it. Let me know what you think. I don't want to bore anyone with the details.
    Thank you for this chance.
    Vikki
    (I reposted this in the wrong section)

I think you are just like us. You are not boring us, just introducing yourself to the family. Get the book, get the supps and CDs, make a Drs appt, get some meds. Keep hanging out with us. It does get better.

Hugs,

Darlene

Comment

Hi Vikki,

I don't think yours is a feeble post - I think it's great that you are here and have the courage to lay it out in black and white what you want to change in your life. The difficult part is actually doing it - we all know that, that's why we're here to support eachother!:b

You might find it useful to do a "Cost Benefit Analysis" - which was discussed on these boards not long ago (can't find where now!>: ) - an idea borrowed from the SMART Recovery programme (google it and you should find it easily). If you don't already know what it is, you write 4 lists: one for the all the advantages you see in quitting drinking, one for all the disadvantages you see in quitting, one for all the advantages you see about continuing drinking and one for all the disadvantages about continuing drinking. If you list absolutely every little thing you can think of for each section, it opens your eyes to your true feelings about alcohol and helps to get your mind focused on the things you really want in life that alcohol is stopping you from acheiving.

Good luck and welcome aboard - I've acheived alot since I started here a few weeks ago - not got to where I really want to be just yet, but definately moved a long way from where I was!

take care,

lulu xx

Comment

Hi
        I'm new, comptiplating whether or not I have a problem. I wonder about the weight. I'm 37 and have been drinking daily for about 10 years. I've always been small, like 110 pounds, I drink red wine and I say it doesn't cause the weight gain, I say it's the mochas. Recently I'm starting to feel just like you described you feel, a hag, nails, hair, energy... I say I don't have the money to get it all done anymore, but the wine I drink is about 70 bucks a week at least. I have gained 10 pounds all in my gut over the last 10 years and for a small person that's a lot. I never say it's the drinking.... maybe it is.>:

Comment

Wine is made from grapes.
          Grapes are full of sugar.
          Go figure.

Comment

lol, yes I know, I work for a Doctor. I like to blame it on the mochas. Even he tells me wine great for you (although I don't share the bottle a night with him.) and I've read so many articles that say wine even though empty calories, doesn't effect the weight. Wishful thinking I guess. I'm scared to have a reason to quit. I'm sorry.

Comment

I'm 47. Just think, you can save yourself ten years before I decided.

Comment

I drink about a bottle of wine a night give or take, never more than that, but it is a problem for me because I can't do without it. I went all of last night without a drink and I feel good. I want to go a month and then maybe only drink on the weekends after that if I can handle it. Im scared I might have withdrawls though, but Im thinking even though my drinking is a problem for me it's not enough to worry about withdrawls from quitting cold turkey...which is what I have to do, Im just going to be at this site every day 2 or 3 times a day for support. What do you think, is my drinking considered enough to worry about withdrawls or am I just a dork.:8o

Comment

I knew I had a problem for years because I wondered if I had a problem.
                  The real problem is that drinking sneaks up on you. Women can actually develop the disease over time. It isn't always heriditary.
                  With me it took about six years of one bottle of wine to graduate to a larger bottle of wine with a case of natural lite as a backup. EVERYNIGHT! On the weekends I would treat myself to a small bottle of scotch for Friday night, two bottles of wine for Saturday and Sunday and a rack of natural lite for Sunday.
                  Monday morning were not pretty in my house.
                  Take care of it now before it takes care of you.
                  Vikki

Comment

Working...
                  X