suggestions on catching a stray dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, I know there's lots of dog lovers out there so I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with dog rescue -- I mean the actual rescue part.

2 days ago I had my dog at our neighborhood park and noticed a small dog who was obviously a stray. Some boys who were riding their bikes told me he had been around for about a week. He seemed really interested in my dog, but he wouldn't come to me. I'd like to catch him and help him if I can but I'm unsure of what to do.

That day I went home and got my car and some kibble, but when I got back to the park I couldn't find him. Weds I went over and didn't see him either. Yesterday hubby and I took our dog over and just as we were leaving he showed up. We got him to eat some food and he was almost close enough to try to grab (I was wearing work gloves in case he bit) but then some other people showed up and he ran away. We drove to the other side of the park and a guy who lives right next to the park was trying to catch him. Turns out he HAD caught the dog on Weds (luring him with hot dogs), called the Humane Society who had a guy come out, and the HS guy lost him (?!?!) He squirmed out of the leash apparently. The man who had caught him had put him in a dog carrier and suggested they just transfer him from the crate to the truck, but the HS guy insisted on putting one of those leashes on a stick around his neck. Sounds bright, huh?

Anyway, the dog looks like a terrier of some sort. I'm guessing he's in the 10-15 pound range. If he were a large dog I wouldn't feel comfortable catching him. He is really skittish though. I hate to bring him to a shelter but I also hate to see him running around like this, especially as the weather will turn bad soon.

He is very cute in an ugly dog way and I would consider taking him in, though my dog (the Spotty Dingo) was a rescue who had all kinds of issues (and bit a neighbor) and I'm not sure I want to go through all that again. We have talked about getting a pal for the Dingo and a dog that could go to work with hubby (his office is dog friendly but the Dingo is not stranger friendly) and we would get another rescue (all our pets are rescues) but it seems a long shot that this particular dog would fit in to our household. I don't think hubby is too keen on the idea; he loves our animals but at times isn't thrilled by my small petting zoo: currently 4 cats and Dingo. (I always say well, we don't have kids so I can have animals)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can catch him and what I should do with him. I thought I could keep him in my garage for a few days until he calms down (there's a door to our fenced in backyard for potty), and I would put up flyers in surrounding neighborhoods (though he has no collar he always seems to be looking for someone), and then take him to a no-kill shelter if no one calls.

Thanks,
    Lisa

PS: I know this is off-topic, but I trust you guys

((((Lisa))))

All my cats are from the pound, but my dogs I did buy from a breeder because I wanted a breed that is not around my area of the States, though I did look into rescue dogs too.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think it's great what you are doing. He doesn't sound like a stray that is not used to people at some point, so hopefully you can catch him and find him a home but be warned, they do tend to worm into our hearts. :l

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I work at an animal shelter and have also rescued a few street dogs. In my opinion it sounds as if you are doing everything right. Trying to slowly entice him/her with food and gaining his/her trust is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, there are outside distractions such as people showing up which derail any progress you may have made. I would say keep trying what you have been doing. Thank you so much for your efforts on this little stray.

Cucks

Comment

Stray little guy

I have 2 gorgeous dogs that I rescued from appalling circumstances in Ireland, recently found a liitle baby staffie running in the main road scared out of his mind, due to the hazardos traffic we had no option but to run after him ( Hubby and me) we took sausages, treats and a blanket, we caught him and brought him home, he had no tag and was shaking uncontrollably...it was awful. We found him to be terrified of the stairs so we all slept downstairs on the converted sofa bed !!! reluctantl we took him to the police station the next day....so sad.

Any way I am rambling as usual...it does sound like you are doing the right things in gaining this guy's trust...do you have any RSPCA/PDSA Council dog handlers you can contact? Please let me know how you get on?

Comment

I had a rescue dog that ran away from us accidentally by getting spooked. To make a long story short, it lived on the loose for three months because no one could catch it (I thought it was dead). When we spotted it, it took several days to catch. I had to trap her with a coyote trap baited with steak. Perhaps your animal control will lend you a trap that you can set at night when no one else will see or bother it? Then in the morning you may have a pleasant surprise and well fed dog.
          Best wishes to you, and thanks for caring!
          You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Hi there - having the treats on you is good and remaining calm is important - I have to consciously catch myself because I get excited when this happens. I even suggest kind of turning your back to the dog - so that it has to express an interest in you. I've been lucky in the past that I can use my own dog's leashes (and my dogs will walk beside me),

Go to the Dog Whisperer's website and he may have some recommendations/FAQs. His recommendations have worked wonders for me and my dogs. Here's the link: Cesar Millan - Dog Whisperer TV

Thanks for trying - this tugs at my heart strings!

Comment

Working...
            X