I think I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I need help

I am a 42 year old man from England, I live in New York City, My wife of 8yrs died from lung cancer a year ago and left me with my 6yr old son, we both watched her die over a year and I had always done most of the parenting with him so the transition to single parent wasn't too bad, I managed to quit smoking 2 yrs ago without a problem but my drinking has escalated, I have always been a regular drinker and I love it but now there is nobody to see how much I drink - it's getting out of control. My job has not been affected, I function pretty well and I don't drink until I get home. The problem is that when I start I don't stop until I go to bed, last night I drank 1.5L of wine by myself, other nights it's half a bottle of vodka or half bottle of Jack or 5 beers or any kind of combination.
    Is there a way out there to moderate myself or even stop without feeling like I will never enjoy myself again

I think I need help

Hello,
    I'll see if I can point you in right direction. You have posted in the area where most often people share thier recovery stories. My heart goes out to you and your young child. I can't imagine the pain you both are in, the alcohol can help for awhile, but only so much. Then it hurts more than it helps. This approach can help. Please click on the above tabs to find out more about this incredible program. Most of us who are finding the most success have fully integrated all the aspects of the program. Just the supplements alone may not do it. The same holds true for the medication, or the hypnosis cd's alone.
    I hope you will consider reposting in the area for those just starting out. There are several each day, and we would welcome your addition and give you great support.

Blessings,
    Lori

Comment

I think I need help

to Twilson

Hi Twilson,

Your story is so heartbreaking. I am alone and also found my drinking getting out of control. This program has worked well for me, when I started out. I stayed off alchohol for 14 days with ease, then slipped for a few days. Now, I am back off for two days.

Do explore ALL the aspects of this program - including the book, supplements, and the CDs. I also ordered the Topamax from offshore as I didn't want my doctor to know that I was having drinking trouble. I have found the Topa helpful, but know I have to work the other aspects of the program. The supplements DO help.

If you wish to moderate your drinking, the program suggests going for a month without alcohol. That is what I am going to try to accomplish, now. My drinking was becoming very self-destructive.

One thing to think about - you say that you have no one to stop you now - but you're little boy knows what Daddy is doing. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help you refocus on what a parent's drinking can seem like to a child. If this is bothering you, it is certainly important to address it NOW.

Good luck, Twilson. You will find lots of help and info on this board. I agree with the other responder - read the thread for people who are just starting out.

Annie

Comment

I think I need help

Re: to Twilson

Twilson,

I lost my husband after 20 years of marriage, this happened two years after I lost a very close brother to cancer. It tears you up; and for some (like us) there is no way to numb the pain except alcohol; some to the point it becomes a physical addiction and some to the point that it has just been going on for so long and is so ingrained into the habit brain pattern and it seems impossible to ignore.

Go to the Just Starting Out forum, and read everyone's post, all the way back. You are not alone, and there is a wealth of knowledge there. Please try to get the supps/vitamins, believe it or no, I don't know if you can right now, they really, really help. It's totally awesome to spend an evening with friends and really you are totally NOT in the mood for alcohol l. . .

In summary, no matter what you are going through or have been through, there is someone here on this site that you can relate to; this site is populated by some amazing women (and men too, there are just fewer of them) who are so willing to listen, help, and support. Keep posting and just let us know what is really going on.

If you register you get an EZ email box (it costs nothing) and people can send you e-mails on a more private basis.

Stay, and post.
        Hugs
        Ter

Comment

I think I need help

Re: to Twilson

Twilson, I hope you are on the program now, as I am confident it will help you. I was a week-end alcoholic for more than 40 years and I too could drink 1.5l of wine or 12-18 beers when I was in the mood. I tried Topomax last year for several months and experienced its power to minimize my craving for alcohol(...I never went higher than 100mg/day due to a side effect). Currently, I am using any Topomax, as I do not drink alcohol during Lent season.

Comment

Working...
          X