AF Daily - Monday November 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning everyone! I really enjoyed all the posts in yesterdays thread. I like when we get all thought provoking and stuff.

Welcome to all who are new to the AF Daily thread, and hello to boss.man too. Sounds like you are doing well.

I think a good point came up about replacing drinking centered activities with other life interests. That has been a big challenge for me but exciting at the same time. In the last 10 years or so of my drinking, I spent a very very large percentage of my time drinking, planning to drink, and recovering from drinking. So that is a LOT of time to fill with other stuff, and a LOT of "habit" to change. For me, staying in my same old patterns and just trying to not drink didn't work very well.

So what new interests have you taken up since you stopped drinking? For those who are very early in your AF time, what interests are you planning to explore?

For me..

1. Exercise!! There are a number of positive role models here at MWO, but I must thank Caysea in particular whose posts just struck the right chord in me at the right time. I figured out that the Curves program really suits me, and for the first time in my life I look forward to working out every day. This has been a HUGE deterrent to thoughts of drinking.

2. I have developed a passion for improved health overall. There are many opinions out there about a "healthy diet" and what that means. Mr. Doggy and I have chosen a particular path and I am enjoying new foods and new ways of cooking them.

3. I have a nice camera and have never really learned how to use it other than the automatic mode! I enjoy taking pictures and am looking into a photography class at the local Junior College next semester.

4. Volunteer work is on the horizon too. I have contacted a local women's shelter to see what needs they have that I might be able to help with.

So what are YOUR new interests and directions in your life?

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Oops - I put the wrong date in the title and I don't think I can edit it!!!! That's what I get for trying to *think* at this hour, and without enough coffee!!!!
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Good morning Doggygirl , and all to come,

I'm in my 3rd week and have really made an effort because of previouse experiance to try and fill this void..I find myself sitting there and thinking about drink when i am not drinking..
      I have always enjoyed fishing so there is something i can throw myself into...Not the best time of the year in England...Freezing cold and dark by 5pm but thats a long term plan...Swimming and the gym are my escapes at the moment..I suppose like a lot of people here im an all or nothing person..Proberly why we found ourselves here in the first place..I would like to see the change aswell as feel it...I used to be a very fit young lad...But years of neglect have taken they're toll...It would be really nice to at least get a couple of those abs back...I think it would boost my confidence a lot aswell..

Also...Its Lisa and i's 16 year anniversarry today...For someone whos only 32...Do the maths thats half my life..I am feeling very proud and lucky today...First one sober aswell..
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Wow, 16 years and HALF your LIFE!!! Congratulations Macks and Lisa!

I agree that exercise is of huge importance to our brain health, including our cognitive and emotional health! It does things for us that nothing else can do; certainly not medications, which often are used (to little good effect) in situations where exercise would really make a huge difference.

Woke up in the midst of a drinking dream, or planning-to-drink dream. I was back in a sort of work setting, a very stressful one, involving a cocktail party and a reporter asking me to tell her about an episode at work that was very difficult to talk about. I decided to talk to her, but also decided to have a drink. Then began thinking it through, realizing how bad I would feel about it, and that it certainly would not be "one" drink.... and made the decision not to get that drink. Even though I "won" the contest in my dream, I woke up feeling the shame and fear of having ALMOST had a drink... Amazing how powerful those damn dreams can be!

Hoping everyone has a great day!

wip

Comment

Hi DG & Macks:

DG, I really identified w/the whole process of planning, drinking, & recovering. Yes, that is time-consuming. I've got plenty that I love to do. While I haven't kept completely AF since I joined MWO in Apr. 07, I've had many more AF days than I ever used to. I've taken up knitting again & have knitted many baby outfits & dog sweaters. I've cooked more, though I had to get rid of the drinking/cooking habit. I do get much more exercise (my doggy thanks me daily). And there are other hobbies & activities I love to do. However, keeping up w/my obligations & activities was never a problem when I drank. Sometimes I even did more while under the influence. I'd just push myself through. Now, however, I'm learning how to be present to what I'm doing.

For me, I'm seeing that not drinking takes a lot of self-talk & visualization. At yesterday's brunch, I had to tell myself that the champagne would have ruined my day. I had to see myself over-doing it & becoming obssessed. I had to see that one sip would have led to an all-out binge (which it would have). It worked for me yesterday. Every time I have one of those successes, I feel my thinking pattern changing for the better.

Take care everyone. Love, Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi WIP! Mary
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hello everyone!

Just learned I don't have to go in to "work" today, so I might just get caught up with laundry, etc around here! Yay!

DG--I agree it's really important to change routines and focus on things besides AL. When I Look back, I tried different things at different times. I took an interest in cooking. I watched the food network and spent a lot of time looking up recipes on the internet. I became more active in the Church. Sponsoring kids on mission trips, etc. I started reading a lot. Self-help books mostly, and here of course. Then I trained for the Race for the Cure-5K. Took up walking again. When I started here I did some attempts at detoxing my body through colon cleanses, etc. (TMI)
              The most rewarding part has been being a much bigger part of my kid's life. This winter I'm looking forward to finishing some projects I never started because I was too busy drinking or too hungover to deal with it. I would also like to find a hobby to do in the evenings while I watch tv with the family. Embroidery maybe.

Love this forum!:h Have a great day all!
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Good Morning All You Lovely People-
                DG - I'm dying to know: How did the SF Cheesecake turn out? Or have you made it yet?
                I'm glad to say that the thing I have finally begun to throw myself into is exercise. I haven't reached the point where I really enjoy it and look forward to it, but at least I'm doing it six days a week. And as DG pointed out, not just exercise, but living more healthy in general. I've been trying to watch the calories, bump up the exercise and re-energize myself overall. With three small children, I lack quite a bit in the energy department. Any healthy foods or supplements one can recommend for energy? The coffee just isn't cutting it anymore.
                When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Happy hangover-free Monday ABeroooos!

huge congrats to Mr and Mrs Macks on their 16 years! excellent!!! and sober too!

Doggygirl, what kind of camera did you get? I'm a bit of a shutterbug and have some gear I've accumulated. I'm in the habit of bringing my camera when I travel now just in case I see something photo-worthy.

I used to neglect my shooting and martial arts almost completely when I was drinking for obvious reasons. Hard to do either one of those hung over. Now I'm enjoying them very much and progressing well.

Mary I can relate very clearly on the wine/cooking link. that used to really mess me up and when I first would go AF my time in the kitchen was pretty demure. so glad that quickly slid off my back and now I'm once again the creative mad scientist in the kitchen (with the scars to prove it!) LOL

Bossman, you had described replacing addictive behaviours with other ones and yes I'd agree that I've done that. For myself it's not been directly proportional. I'ts more like I discarded the one bad addiction and replaced it with a variety of "good options" if that makes any sense.

be well friends
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

AF Day 8 and Feeling Great!

Except for the fact that I am having an extremely frustrating morning at work. The good news is these stress emotions have not triggered any thought to AL. This is fabulous.

Congrats to Mac and Mrs Mac on the anniversary.

In two days, I look forward to approaching my first double-digit day being AF.

I need to stay focused on these work issues, and I have a list of chores I can do after work, when I get in from exercise.

Everyone keep up the good work. We're all doing so well on a Monday.

Comment

Hi everyone......just a quick "pop in". Been at work today and then have had 2 hours of paperwork on Dad's estate. Its taking so long and I really will be glad when everything is sorted out. Normally during such stressful hours, the glass would be there, helping me on my way.

Not today though - Day 7 and just starting to feel the benefit. So busy at the moment and very little time for reading but I do know I need to come here every day. I've had a quick scan over yesterday and today's thread but hopefully will give it the time it deserves later. This is such an active thread now, its great to see so much input.

love Janicexxx
                      AF since 9 May 2012
                      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Janice: It's always good to see your little angel avatar. I'm glad you're doing well as am I. Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone

Been at work today and just got the kids into bed. Work itself has gone well, very rewarding but nursery have had some behavioural problems with my little boy today - previously the worry of this would certainly have driven me to drink but I know this will achieve nothing so I will stay strong and AF.

Regarding what I do with my spare time now i'm not drinking - I only have the evenings because the kids occupy 6am-about 7.30pm at least! (last night my little boy didn't fall asleep til 9.30 despite waking at 5.45am and no daytime naps!)

The main one is exercise- getting back into my running again (I always was a serious runner) and swimming and going to the gym - feel a lot fitter and have lost 13lbs since summer.

Eating healthier is another for me - I too want to learn to be a better cook. Also doing baking with my kids and for the family, bread, cakes etc (I made my son a great octopus shaped birthday cake although I do say it myself!!)

On Saturday evening I finally worked out how to import music / tracks from CD's on to my Ipod, by myself - something i've not been able to do before without my husband's help.

I'm making sure I keep my diary going - have kept a diary every evening recording my thoughts and acitons for the day from Jan 1st 1984 (whenI was only 12) until my first child was born in 2004 and then it kind of got neglected - filled it in only sporadically and v brief, but now I'm back to full strength again - I find it fascinating to look back on my life - I also latterly - once I realised I had a problem,recorded how much alcohol I drank, which days were AF etc

I'm doing more with my kids, reading to them , taking them out more (have more energy) playing with them, supervising homework etc

I'm getting back into cardmaking - made one or two birthday cards - want to make all my own Christmas cards in next few weeks

Am making more of an effort to keep in touch with friends whom I don't see often, ie phone calls e mails etc

The house is cleaner and tidier - I'm not quite in a totally minimalist home - impossible with small children and living with my husband, but I'm trying to get there!!

I am reading more and keeping a journal of what books I have read, the title , author, my thoughts on it, personal rating etc which is interesting to look back on.

I am actually watching the odd bit of TV / DVD etc and able to follow the story line all the way through without being to sleepy, drunk to care.

I have lots of other plans for the future - but these haven't happened yet, these include;

Continuing with my genealogy (family tree research) which I started a while back but got neglected in the last couple of years

Scrapbooking and family albums, sort through my photos etc

Get the sewing machine out and get better at it!

Plans for my garden in the future - it's a bit neglected, my husband does the bare minimum and I do nothing! - i'd actually like to make it nice

Anyone else got any ideas!?

Have a good AF day everyone

Sausage x

Comment

Sausage -- that's an impressive list! I am building a list too and also feel renewed energy to get things done and not be overwhelmed.

I had a difficult day at work and it's the first time there was a glimmer of desire for a cocktail. When I drove up to the house, I saw one of Hubbie's friends cars parked out front. That meant they'd gone mtn biking and were probably chatting and having a beer. Any other day, especially after a difficult work day, I would have probably walked in the house and joined them in a beer.

BUT not TODAY! YAY! I wasn't torn at all. I poured a glass of tonic and sat down and visited. When Hubbie went to the fridge for their 2nd round he held one up in offer and I declined without feeling uncomfortable.

So now I'm busy taking care of some volunteer communications and NOT rewarding myself for it. I'm simply thrilled to have had this test today and passed.

I will catch up with the thread tomorrow. Hugs to all!

Comment

Working...
                            X