Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cost of it all

A little bit of my story,

I started drinking at 12 years old. My mother was also an alcoholic. I would steal her beer. Alcohol finally took its toll on my parents marriage and I lost my family and kids at 30 years old. I am 46 now and my kids are grown and we do see each other from time to time. I stayed divorced for ten years because I loved the booze more than anything or anyone else. About five years ago I met a beautiful young lady and after a few months we married. Oh by the way, she is also an alcoholic. I was much worse off than her, and I made the decision today to quit. She isn't aware of it yet but will be soon. I do not plan on pushing her in any direction. She has to be the one to make her own decisions about the problem. I will stay with her no matter what she decides. Thats a little bit right now.

rem

The cost of it all

Rem,

Thanks for your story. I too am from an alcoholic family. Both parents, my mother is/was. she can do moderation now, father still a functioning non commitied alcoholic. Funny thing is I think my twin sister is a functioning one also but...she works and I am the pathatic stay at home mom non functioning one. Oh well working on that part of me! We have to want it for ourselves, be happy and healthy for ourselves. That is what my husband, who does not drink much at all has tought me. Hopefully you wife will see what you are becoming and how wonderful it is. Remember it is the Quality in which we live our life! Being sober is so much better, to wake up alive and refreshed and remember it all. To be able to smile and be happy again!

Good luck on your personal journey!
    Take Care.
    ttfme (this time for me)

Comment

The cost of it all

REM,
      Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. I also come from an alcoholic family ... booze all around me as a child growing up. I also use to sneak my grandfathers beer (Olympia Gold ... remember when they made that?).

Glad to have you here. You'll find lots and lots of support and a tremendous amount of resource to help if you need it. You may just be the inspiration your wife needs. Either way, I really admire your commitment to her.

Gracie

Comment

The cost of it all

The cost of it all.

Hi Rem,

I actually responded to you in my "my story" so I won't repeat all my blabber! Needless to say, as a newbie, I am still finding my way around here and am sometimes not sure exactly where I should reply to posts. Daresay I will learn! One thing I have identified in most problem drinkers is their power of perception (as much as we lie to ourselves and others - we really do have selfknowledge) and their incredible tolerance for those with problems, whether it be alcohol or not. We don't condemn others for their supposed failings, we accept that everyone has their cross to bear, just as we do. I wish you tons and tons of best wishes on the beginning of your journey and look forward to reading your posts.

Love yourself,

k8m8

Comment

Working...
        X