AF Daily - Tuesday November 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL - I typed the date really slow and looked down at my calendar just to make sure!! I'll post this so we have our starter thread and then edit with more stuff.

ETA: Just finished catching up on yesteday's thread. Great stuff!!! I was hoping to catch up last evening but the day got away from me. I like when that happens though - I always go to bed with a smile when the day has been busy. (I still smile even if the business was not what I had intended to be busy with!!)

WIP - whew those drinking dreams can be rough!! Glad it was just a dream!! How are you progressing with your Mom's estate sale preparations?

Congratulations Mack and MrsMack on 16 years married and half your life!! To be married so young this is truly an accomplishment. It's wonderful that you have managed to basically grow up together and still be a great couple.

MM - on the energy front, all the supplements recommended here helped me, but for ME what helped me even more was getting a proper diagnosis on my low thyroid and other low hormones. The progesterone (bio-identical) made a huge difference in both how I sleep (good now) and how I wake up (ready for the day) and the thyroid medication (I take Armour - no synthetics for me) keeps my metabolism going at the right pace through the day. As we were adjusting my dose to get it right, we started splitting it so I talk about 2/3 in the morning and 1/3 at noon which definitely impacted my afternoon energy levels. This stuff is not a problem for everyone, so of course the solution for me is not the solution for everyone. But a high % of people are running around with under functioning thyroid and have either never been tested, or have not been tested by a doc who knows what they are doing. FWIW - sorry for the novel!! Anyway...Can you believe I have not yet tasted that cheesecake?? It was on the menu as dessert last night, but I couldn't even clean my dinner plate I was so full. So I think I will have a piece for breakfast this morning because I HAVE to try it. Mean time, I tried a new recipe last night that was AWESOME for low carbers missing au gratin type potatoes. It was an au gratin turnip recipe with carmelized onions and bacon and OMG was that ever good. I'm not crazy about turnips either. This is going to be my side dish that I bring to the family Thanksgiving do. If anyone wants the recipe just say the word and I'll post it.

Deter - I have a Nikon D80 and it's criminal that I still don't know how to use it much!! What kind of camera do you have? I found the class that I need to look into - now I just have to call the school and figure out how to get signed up.

Mary - that 'self talk and visualization' is so important. When you think about it, that's what got us in trouble in the first place, right? All the "self talk" that glamorized drinking and how good it would make us feel, how we're not REALLY out of control or alcoholic drinkers, etc. etc. etc. So for me it just makes sense that working hard at changing the theme of the chatter can help change our behavior.... I rarely have any glamorized thoughts of drinking these days. I really try to force myself, to the degree drinking thoughts occur, to play the very ugly side of the Vodkapades in my head.

Speedster - Congratulations on Day 9 today, right? I know what you mean about feeling excited about hitting double digit days! And just imagine how good tripple digits will feel! I can't remember now if I asked you what Rescue Agility is. I'm sorry if you already answered that!!

Janice - Today is day 8, right? Congratulations. Glad you are starting to feel some of the benefits. I feel for you too having to deal with your Dad's estate issues. I bet that will feel so much better when the paperwork, etc. is all done.

Sausage - congratulations on the weight loss! And might I just say that for a woman with not much time for yourself, you sure manage to squeeze a lot of cool stuff into it!!! :kudos: BabySausage's octopus birthday cake sounds cool! Did you take a picture you can share?

I hope I didn't miss anyone who posted yesterday! If I did I am sorry - and of course hello to everyone yet to come for today.

Tomorrow the additional freezer will be delivered and so I need to get after Mr. Doggy to move some things in the basement out of the way! I should be hearing from the butcher soon. I can't wait to have freshly butchered, locallly pasture raised meat the freezer. All of my grandparents were farmers, and filling the freezer at this time of year across the whole family was just how it was done. So I feel like I'm going back in time - in a good way!! Next year I really do want to garden in a bigger way. That means PLANNING this winter. I notice that others have mentioned it, and I think we have a number of serious gardeners here at MWO. We need to start a Gardening for Abstinent Dummies thread.

Well - I gotta run. I'm actually going to tiff up a bit for my Tuesday morning business referral meeting instead of going in my "dress up" gym attire with hair in pony tail. Tiffin' up is much more fun in smaller clothes. And without the puffy face, etc. of a hangover. ESPECIALLY that.

Have a rockin' good sober day everyone!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Thanks for the quick start DG
    Your signature line is what I say to me every single day........
    Once I FINALLY made the choice to give AL the boot, got through the physical stuff, my head and I had long conversations as to how I was going to make this happen for the rest of my life. The first thing I realized was not to concern my self with the rest of my life, just today.
    When I looked DH in the eye last November my exact words were " I am choosing not to drink today, but I make no promise for tomorrow..just today"...That was my beginning.
    I threw in the white towel and said no more. AL had won every round, but I was not going to let him win the fight...... I would not get into the ring any longer, I was choosing to leave the building.
    I have this weird picture in my head of a very lonley AL, just pacing back and forth in that ring, just waitng for my return...I feel the power as I watch him squirm and lose patience......(hey, corny, but whatever works!)....
    I took my power back with a winning attitude and that mental picture has helped me each and every day. I wake up each morning knowing that I can drink today...I too, am choosing not to.....
    I have learned (and it took me a while) to embrace this gift of power and together with a positive attitude, I am coming out the winner each and every day........
    sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Charlee- three cheers for winning the battle! It's still early for me but I'm experiencing much of what all the absters describe.

DG - I do agility with my dog. We started taking classes ~18 months ago, competed in our first trial back in the spring but hadn't mastered the weave poles. He's finally getting them and we will compete in December. I'm really looking forward to it. It took us 14 months to get weaves poles. I'm a novice handler and had to work carefully with our trainer to not teach him incorrectly how to weave. Weaving is the most difficult task.

Today is Day 9, I had a tough day 8 at work but no problems staying focused on being AF.

WIP, I've been through the culling of my parents house and it's very difficult, I don't look forward to the day we have to do the same for my hubby's parents. It's a difficult task but there will be a time when you can move on. Sounds like you're well organized and that makes a huge difference.

Have a great day everyone, I'm off to tackle work....

Comment

Morning dg, charlee amd all to come. Charlee, Love your analogy of the boxing ring! And dg, going out, less the puffy face is nice!! dg, please post your recipe!!

It's VERY nice to have my internet back. I hate working on email and personal stuff at the office, cause the boys are always over my shoulder asking me for stuff.

After I take mini man to school I have a couple of meetings and off to the gym. Another meeting tonight, so no bad choices for me

Happy anniversary mack

Have a great day all!!

Nat
        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi everyone, a great start to the thread today DG, you are so thoughtful acknowledging everyone!! Again, not much time today, work this morning then lots to do in the house today in preparation for this dinner party Saturday night!! Believe it or not, I'm out buying wines on Thursday for these two couples who are proper wine-boffs!!! Not worried about getting through it, but I do know I need my "plan" ready. Anyway, off to get the duster out!!!....................

love Janicexxxx
          Day 8 yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          AF since 9 May 2012
          Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

I know Janice!!! It's like DG lives next door :H DG, little doggie goes to the vet today for her annual. That means non-stop wiggling and wagging and smiling.

I figured out when 200 days will be for me. Groundhog day. I bet by then my shadow won't scare me! :H

Hope everyone has a happy day and does one random act of kindness.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Good morning everyone, this is just a check-in, as I am pre-occupied right now with some of the other stuff that's going on around here... a bit upset... Need to get on the spinner, do a short workout, sit meditation, then get in the car and go downtown to sign some papers (more stuff with my mother's estate... weird to talk about her "estate" while she is alive, but there it is.... ).

Everyone sounds great today, and I'll be back later.

wip

Comment

Hello All-
                Not much to say today (I know! Shocker!), but just thought I'd pop in and say hello. DG, thanks for the heads up on the thyroid. I'm going in for an annual physical today, maybe I'll have them check it. I'm feelin' a bit in a rut with my workout and dieting. It's working! I've lost 7 pounds, but I'm just feeling very hum drum. I've got to liven it up!
                I'm leavin' town today for work, but will try to pop in on borrowed computers.
                Everyone have a GREAT day!
                When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Char: I loved your sharing about the choice not to drink. I am choosing to leave AL out of my life. I can't fight AL & win. I'll always drink too much if I choose to drink. I feel & hope that the switch has flipped. I must feel defeated by all my attempts to try one more time to allow AL into my life. I can't & won't.

DG: Yes, the visualizations & memories of my Vodkapades & my many Vinopades are a great preventative. TV & print ads show lovely young people drinking at discos & having fun. They don't show the seamier side.
                  -Drinking alone in the kitchen.
                  -Drinking out of coffee cups.
                  -Throwing up.
                  -Waking up looking haggard.

I must keep the realistic view of myself. I'm learning how to have fun sober.

Mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone, I did something really stupid on Saturday night and I'm crawling out of the Hole. I PM'd the brother of my ex-boyfriend (who I haven't seen or talked to in over 15 years) on Facebook. Not because I want to see or talk to him, mind you, but just because I believe our entire relationship was built on lies and its so painful to know that I wasted my 20's on a lying egotistical idiot. I thought he was my soul mate, I dropped out of college because he convinced me to, I tried to be what he wanted me to be and in the end I left him and moved to the other coast so I could start over. He turned around, found another woman, married her and has 2 daughters ... though who knows whether they're still together or not. Boy was I an idiot.

I realize that I did this to myself and I should accept the blame for my own actions and forget about him. But now, almost 20 years later I still feel so angry. I can't get that time back. I could have been an architect and had a much different life if I had never met him (though I probably wouldn't have met my wonderful husband and that would be a tragedy as he is my true soul mate). So every once in a while I've started writing a letter (always while drinking) to his mother telling her the fantastical family life he made up for them. I haven't done that in probably 2 years though. On Saturday night I was on a mission and I found his brother on Facebook and wrote something very cryptic, asking him to write back. I've since blocked him from contacting me so now he probably thinks I'm insane. I just don't have the fortitude to deal with it right now, though maybe I should just buck up and get it over with.

This has rocked me to the core. My biggest fear is tipping my cards and AL has made me do this in a very scary way once again. I feel so empty and frustrated. When will I learn? When will it stop?

DG, I spent some time yesterday looking at the Smart Recovery website and I ordered the intro book and CD. I tried to search on the forums to see whether you or anyone else has talked extensively about their program but couldn't find anything (lots to wade through, I can't figure out how to search and just get a specific post in the results). If you know of anything, could you bump it for me? If not, would you mind sharing what you think of the program? It sounds sort of kick-butt and thats what I need right now, a big kick in a$$. Unfortunately the meeting I'd like to go to the most is an hour away. The closer one is in the city and I'm not sure about that but I may try it. I should try it. But should I read the book first? They seem to have a lot of lingo.

Oh yeah, I told my husband about the whole thing yesterday. I can not keep secrets from him. He knows about the letters I have started writing so he was very understanding about it. We made a pact to not drink until Thanksgiving (though of course I would like to never drink again). But it means a lot to me when he is willing to commit to a time frame.

Thanks for listening. Its good to get this off my chest. Charlee, I loved your image of AL in the ring. Unfortunately he kicked my butt, but leaving the building sounds like a good thing to do now ... I would like to walk out with my head held high.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi everyone -

Still AF - that's over 2 weeks now since my relapse on holiday. Feeling much better, definitely think its easier this time around (or maybe i'm just getting used to the routine of not drinking in my own home?) Typical fraught day today, running round after 2 small kids, swimming lessons x2 (10.30 and 5.30) also pick up to and from school. Just got them into bed, my husband is away another night and back tomorrow so I'll sit down with some sparkling non alcoholic fruit juice and watch a DVD! I'm actually going to watch "when a man loves a woman" staring Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia - for those of you that arn't familiar with it, despite the corny title which doesn't do it justice, it's actually a very emotional movie about a mother who has an alcohol problem and how it affects her family etc. I've watched it before - Seeing how watching their mother regularly get drunk affected her two young children was very influential in motivating me to quit , I know it's only a story but very true to life and I didn't want my children to have to go through that.

Comment

That is one of my all-time favorite movies Sausage, I watched it not too long ago. I have "'Days of Wine & Roses" waiting for me when I have some "alone time".

SpottyD, I've been looking at the SR website myself--looks like it would be a great complement to MWO. No meetings near me though. I wish I would have seen it sooner in my recovery. If you get into it, please let us know what you think.:h
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

My November AF thread seems to be peetering out so I'm posting here today!!

A good day but I am very much on the count-down to Xmas! Have 3 projects to finish and one to divest myself of. Then a lovely 3-week break from mid December!

I dont have much else to say either! Just another ordinary and uneventful AF day! (and here's to many more)
                          Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Working...
                          X