Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did I become me?

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post. Found this site by pure chance and responded to another post about campral info, so thought I could post in the hope of becoming a member of a so obviously caring community. 44 years old and have spent the majority of my life battling problem drinking. One just ain't enough!! Reading the other posts reduced me to tears and laughter equally. Tears because, my God, there are others who struggle like me and so I am not alone. Laughter, because I so identified with all the "cover-ups" and life situations that we get ouselves into. Not that in reality it's funny, more a relief laughter - I'm not the only one. I am three weeks on Campral and have been abstinent for the same period. I sometimes think I may even be able to like myself again one day. I absolutely loved reading all the posts and hope to share more ups and downs in future.

Thanks
    k8m8

How did I become me?

Welcome, k8m8.

I'm a newbie here, too, lurked for about a week and a half before joining this past week.

You'll find this one of the most supportive caring communities anywhere. Not too many regulars on tonight, but they'll be back.

Good luck to you, and post often.
    Ter

Comment

How did I become me?

How did I become me?

Dear Ter,

Thank you for your welcome. I am just so excited to be able to speak honestly to people (albeit with anonymity).

Can you tell me how I register?

k8m8

Comment

How did I become me?

welcome

Hi K8m8
        Welcome! Yes, you will not find a more caring, down-to-earth group of equally struggling, supportive, humorous friends who not only understand, but are walking this road with you. I dont know what I did before I found this site. Actually I do..... I used to lie in bed at night and wonder if I was the only "woman" who struggled like I did. I would think, "surely there must be others, but who???" Women carry a lot more shame about the stigmas of being an alcoholic. I dont mean in ANY way to downplay the stigmas or struggles that men face, so I dont in any way intent to offend anyone. It just seems in my personal experience that women seem to suffer so much shame and I know for me personally, I was not able to even tell my closest friends of my inner struggle.

Please get registered and start doing all you can to obtain the supplements and the book, and CDs if you can. I am new too, and actually have not received anything yet that I have ordered, and am waiting to be able to afford everything still. I have picked up some of the supplements at GNC and have started those. But it has been the biggest help of all to just be able to get on this site multiple times a day, type to others like I am doing to you right now, and be a part of the encourgaging and being encouraged community of others I have found here. I hope the men out there dont feel like this is just a women's site as this struggle affects us all. I hope they will share more as well.

Good luck and dont be too hard on yourself as you begin.

Stay in touch!
        Allie

Comment

How did I become me?

Re: welcome

Welcome k8m8:

Isn't it amazing to realize how many women have a story so familiar to your own? I couldn't believe it either. In a way it was relief to know there were many other women like me and I could get help. Even my closest friends, who drink a lot, didn't drink nearly as much as I did so I hid it from everyone.

I'm on Week 5 and this program has been unbelievable for me. The women on this site are so supportive of one another. Roberta Jewell (RJ) is active on this site and continues to do research, offer advise, make improvements, ...it's so impressive. I think you'll find this a great place to hang out. Her book is great!

Gracie

Comment

How did I become me?

help

Hi all again,

I'm fairly computer illiterate and need some help!!. Have tried to register with a global account but am not receiving a validation email. Can someone advise? Have re-sent but still no reply. Also, I have noticed several references to a thread called "hiding alcohol" (which I'm an expert at) - how do I get there? Seriously, my infinite common sense stuns me at times!! Have spent the last two days reading and reading and reading........you people are incredible. I keep wondering about how I forgot how to be happy, or even content. How did I turn into this person whose first waking thought was "When can I have my first drink?". I use the word "was" lightly - I am 4 weeks sober on Friday - but I know I still have a long battle ahead. One thing I use to worry about incessantly was if I broke and had a drink. Since visiting here, I no longer worry and I feel like a huge pressure has been lifted and feel less inclined to drink. Does that make any sense? I now take the attitude that if I do fall off the wagon, well I'd just better get my butt back on it!! I'm from Melbourne, Australia and realise that it may be some time before I receive a reply - but I feel like a kid on xmas morning everytime I come here, so please feel free to be "Santa".

Thanks

k8m8

Comment

How did I become me?

Re: help

I'm also new here, didn't know it was a site for women. I am not ashamed to say I am a man and I have been fighting drinking for 30 years. I'm ready to quit. I think the struggle is hard for anyone who is in a fight for their life against a very powerful enemy. I am glad to be here, and I have truly seen myself in just about every post that I have read. God bless all of you, and I am happy to be on this journey with each of you, man or woman.

rem

Comment

How did I become me?

No, this is a site for EVERYONE, not just women, and I am so glad you are here! Welcome again!

Comment

How did I become me?

Welcome to all, man or woman...

This site is for any of us with a drinking problem. There are a few men on this site Rem...just happens to be more women at the moment. Rem, there is a new gentleman posting under the name Dad098. He just started also, you might want to check out his latest post. We ladies are happy to chat with anyone however. Welcome, glad you are here!

Tammie

Comment

How did I become me?

Yeh Whatever, I'm a Tomboy! But I'm married to a wonderful ,(most o the time) man! Now I'm gonna be in trouble ... He's been reading my posts! I think he's starting to enjoy this site almost as much as me!
                    In fact last nite he came home (indirectly, from work aka-the bar), no biggie. I'd rather he unwind there a bit anyway.
                    But I was on the site here, & sorta busy typing & reading. He kept coming into the room..."whatr'e you writing about me?"....Think he was jealous , he wasn't gettin' enough attention. He even asked if I was mad at him or something. Guess he felt guilty for stopping @ the bar, don't know why that's where he met me! Cept I was working. Bartending.!! Bet you thought it was dancing huh?Hah Not Yet.
                    OK Speaking of work... Hugs Judie

Comment

How did I become me?

help x 2

Hi Rem,

I have read several posts from men, so read like crazy and identify with everyone here, be it male OR female - alcohol doesn't discriminate!!! I'm just so excited to find a forum where I don't have to lie or cover up or think any of the self-degrading things I usually do. Our common link is a disease. The obvious clues are the symptoms (text book!!), as there has not been one post that does not identify with another, whether it be physical, emotional or spiritual. I find the saddest part of being a functioning problem drinker is mainstream distaste for perceived lack of self-control - when in actuality "they" can't imagine the HUGE amount of self-control it takes to NOT have a drink. Wow, I'm so deep! LOL

Anyway - would still love some help re: registering and finding the "hiding alcohol" thread. (Can't imagine that anyone could be as inventive as me - delusions of grandeur yeah?)

Thanks
                      k8m8

Comment

How did I become me?

Re: help x 2

Hi k8m8! Check page 3 of the just starting out section. You'll find it there. Welcome! Gina

Comment

How did I become me?

help x 2

Hi Gina,

Thank you so, so much - will go there right now. God, if only I'd known about this forum ages ago - you guys are great.

Thanks again,

k8m8

Comment

Working...
                          X