Is this really "IT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this really "IT"

I am a 65 year old professional woman who has worked in the substance abuse field (go figure) for 35 years and am a closet drinker. I started drinking 25 years ago, to relax. Early on, it was mostly 3 or so glasses of wine a night, maybe 3 nights a week. I am now up to 5-15 hefty drinks of vodka 5 or 6 nights a week. No one knows I drink (maybe my roommate). I always stop when I go to bed, and rarely drink in the morning, unless I want to just laze all day, which I did Sunday. I have missed days of work but I am not physiologically addicted. I never have withdrawal symptoms on days I don't drink. I don't have a personality change when drinking, I don;t drink and drive. I can and do drink socially with friends and family, always stopping at 3 or 4 glasses of wine,(until I get home.) So why do I want to stop? I'm overweight and gaining more, I'm afraid of a heart attack, or stroke, liver damage, etc. I have tried a few other ways to stop. Nothing worked because nothing stopped the great feeling I get from alcohol. I am single and lonely, I suppose. And the one thing (besides being with my grandchildren) makes me happy is alcohol. I always knew that I drink because it makes me feel so good. I have always wanted not to want alcohol. I just never knew that the was a medication that would stop that high. I recently learned that doctors are now prescribing medications for alcohol treatment. And somehow, I stumbled on MYO book, bought it before Christmas, just found it stuffed somewhere, read it yesterday, and am convinced it will work for me. I am so excited to think I am going to get this monkey off my back. I made an appointment with my GP for this Thursday but am worried that he won't prescribe the Topamax. I am prepared to tell him that I am going to do this with or without him, will order online without a script if I have to. Any suggestions for what to say convince him? I have the book and the Lancet article to bring with me. Other thoughts?

Is this really "IT"

Welcome Goody2,

You sound just like the rest of use - unable to control the drinking.

I've had wonderful success with Campral.
    It totally stopped the craving and obsessive thoughts.

You really should give this program a try.
    Do read the other posts, you'll find them helpful.

You are in an excellent place. We are a wonderful community.
    Welcome.

-E

Comment

Is this really "IT"

Goody,
      I was also afraid my doc wouldn't prescribe topa. I dropped the article off at her office a few days before. I would recommend this, then your doc will have time to read it before your appt. I told her about the program and that many of the people ordered offshore or went to another doctor, but I didn't want to do that. I have a pretty good relationship with my doc and I think she was happy that I was upfront with her. She did end up prescribing it for me after trying to convince me of AA or treatment programs which I said I didn't want to do. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Welcome,

Marcie

Comment

Is this really "IT"

IT

Hi Goody,
        Great to read your post, I can identify really well with your story.. many similarities to myself. I'm presently waiting for book & CD. I also have a lot of 'knowledge' on the subject but it hasn't stopped me getting into trouble.. long term with alcohol + health issues.
        Wishing you best of luck,
        Keep in Touch,
        MFM

Comment

Is this really "IT"

Campral

Also, Great to get your feedback about Campral. My Doc thinks it might be illegal to supply Topa so suggested Campral. How did you go being sober for 3-5 days before starting Campral? That's the bit that worries me.
          MFM

Comment

Is this really "IT"

campral

Hi,
            Never been here before. Have been three weeks on campral totally abstinent. First three days were completely yuk - campral doesn't relieve withdrawal symptoms. I do have to say that I am no longer feeling a huge urge to drink and in fact sometimes even can shudder at the thought of one! However, (Why is there always a "However"?), if I am honest, I know that it wouldn't take much to bend my elbow. I'm 44 years old and have been a problem drinker for as long as I can remember (and an absolute demon at hiding it). Happily married, three great children and still I want to screw it up - go figure! But I am trying sssooo hard.

Comment

Is this really "IT"

Re: campral

Goody2:
              Welcome. I think Marcie has some good advise about the Topa .. i.e. dropping the article off in advance so the doctor can do a little research on his/her own. I, on the other hand, ordered mine "offshore" w/no prescription. I'm not sure whether long-term this is going to prove to have been the best route -- anyway, for now I have it and it's working.

Thanks for sharing your story. It sure sounds like you are ready to do this! This program has been such a blessing for me -- the success has been beyond what I could have imagined. The women on this board are very supportive, funny & bright. I think you'll really like it here.

Gracie

Comment

Is this really "IT"

Re: campral

Hi Goody, I was moved by your post. Thank you for posting it. I have been in a fight with alcohol for 30 years. I have decided today that I am ready to win the fight. Again, thanks for your post.

rem

Comment

Working...
                X