Paradigm Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paradigm Shift

Have you ever seen the optical illusion of the old lady and the beautiful young woman in the same picture? Usually your eye sees only one – either the old lady or the beautiful girl. But as you study the picture you realize that they are both in the picture. The old woman is looking to the left with her chin to her chest and the young girl is looking away from the viewer over right shoulder. The nose of the old woman forms the chin of the young girl!

Sometimes I think my recovery is like this optical illusion. I believe I have had a paradigm shift since I’ve starting moderating on this site since I initially joined in March of 2007.

At first I thought I could moderate without coming to the site for support. Read quite a few posts and visited for a while. Posted here or there but didn’t stay long and just thought I could do things on my own. That led to disaster…right down the same road to drinking too much and making a fool out of myself again and again.

Rejoined in Sept 08 and had a change of thinking. I realized I need the support here but thought I could form a simple plan and I would be o.k. I guess I’m learning that one keeps learning the more they hang around here.

Funny how my goals for myself keep changing. At first I thought I would moderate and allow myself so many drinks on Friday and Saturday (my drinking nights) with a possible week night to allow for a glass of wine with a business dinner. That worked for about 6 weeks then I suddenly saw my intake on those week-end nights increasing. Backed off, went AF and the crazy thing is the further removed I got from AL the better I liked it. How nice to not drink a thing on a Sat. night and wake up refreshed and renewed because AL hadn’t interfered with my sleep. As a person attempting moderation my thinking has now shifted.

I will not think about my drinking. I will not plan my drinking using the excuse "It's Friday or Saturday night so I can have a drink. If I go out to a nice dinner and decide to have a glass of wine with dinner I will do that. But I will constantly remind myself that (the way my body works) I will feel the effects if I have more than 1. My friend who maintains her body weight well says “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels”. So I will use that analogy to drinking to remind myself that no AL beverage tastes as good as how it feels the next morning with no hangover and no remorse.

I remain a work in progress…but a happy one.
    Go here to see the optical illusion: Young Girl and Old Woman Optical Illusion

Hugs,
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Paradigm Shift

Hi Eve,
    Great reflections here. I'd come to this sight at least a year prior to even posting for the first time. I felt kinda strange, like the new kid on the block, but now i feel more a part of the gang, and the support that we get is incredible. I don't think you can even get that at an AA meeting because I think we're more free to say what we really feel inside.

And yes, we'll always continue to change. That's the way life is. No one is stagnant, and if you are, you aren't learning and growing. I'm learning so much from everyone here, and I'm experiencing life like I hadn't for years. Gosh, how great I feel. Even with the shitty day I had two days ago, I was able to deal with it in a more healthy way.

As far as my plan, I believe I have some tweaking to do. But I too, love to wake up with a clear head and the energy to do what I want and with my family. I'm so much happier, I really can see how the alcohol caused depression.

Yes, I've seen that picture many times. Interesting! Have a good day.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Paradigm Shift

Eve, ditto on the sentiments!!
      Well said! You have come a long way. I love it when you said that the more you hang around the site, the more your goals change -- I have found that to be true for me too.

Going to bed AF on a weekend is just the berries for me, I always wake up invigorated and ready to DO something, anything to celebrate the day:-)

Interesting picture - I haven't seen it before!
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Paradigm Shift

Thanks Eve, very thoughtful. Yes, a paradigm shift, nothing less, is called for.

Btw, I opened the picture and immediately saw the young girl. Stared for a minute but couldn't decipher the old woman from it... stared, squinted... turned my head at various angles... but no luck! Even read the hints, but nothing. Strange!

Cheers all. Late here, 9pm still at work. Time to head home. Will write more soon.

Hugs all.

Comment

Paradigm Shift

Hiya, the girls chin is the old womans nose. Any help?
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Paradigm Shift

..nope! saw that hint... still can't see it!!! Let me look again, hold on.

Comment

Paradigm Shift

Whew!! Glad others are having problems seeing the old woman. Not just me....

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Paradigm Shift

The girls hat is the old womans scarf...howzat??

Comment

Paradigm Shift

Nothing. Part of my brain must be burnt out.

Comment

Paradigm Shift

the girls necklace is the old womans lips....cmon you gotta get it now!

Comment

Paradigm Shift

zed;473162 wrote: Btw, I opened the picture and immediately saw the young girl. Stared for a minute but couldn't decipher the old woman from it... stared, squinted... turned my head at various angles... but no luck! Even read the hints, but nothing. Strange!
                      Meee toooo!!
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Paradigm Shift

....what hat? Yikes. Now I'm wondering if I even saw the young girl! Yikes. BURNT OUT

Ok going home. Must get out of here. Back in a bit, must report today's adventures.

Comment

Paradigm Shift

Jeeeeeeeeez. I don't see a necklace either. Im so screwed.

Comment

Paradigm Shift

do you see the young girl turning away?
                            Just at her neck is a dark band...a necklace...yes?

Comment

Paradigm Shift

what necklace?!??!?

Comment

Working...
                              X