AF Daily - Thursday November 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! WOW the posts from yesterday and the day before are awesome. I have a LONG list of notes so go get a sandwich [LONG POST WARNING]!

I'll save this for now so the thread is started for the day, and do a new thread for all the catch up!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

DG thanks for starting the post! I have read your story and am so inspired.

I've been terribly busy at work this week, but things are getting better and I'm so thrilled to have made it through a few days of work stress AF. I'm waking before the alarm and my brain is oh so clear all day long. My sugar intake has dropped significantly and I attribute it to being AF and the supps. That really helps my brain in the afternoons.

I learned I will be faced with two social events, one this Saturday and one on Dec 2nd where there will be AL. I don't like the location of the 1st event even if I wasn't trying to be AF so I doubt I will attend. The 2nd I will attend and I'm already visualizing being AF. Or will it be my 1st test to try my Utopian relationship where I only drink at dinner parties?

I decided it's important to think about but not fret about, because I really am taking things one day at a time.

It's very cold, but I have my light charged so I can do a loop after work on the mtn bike on our greenway. I use to be a 'hard core' rider and haven't been out in the cold at dusk in about 3 years. I'm actually excited about it.

I better get to it. I'm thanksful for starting my morning AF and thinking about it positively and kicking off the day with reading MWO posts.

Thanks to each of you:thanks:

Comment

Good Morning DG and all my friends to come.

I woke up WITHOUT a headache today. It is awesome. I feel ready and rarin' to go. It is so nice.

Today is one of those days when I feel so grateful not to be drunk. I feel good, I have fun and exciting work to do and I am looking forward to next week. The week of family time.

Every day I wake up like this, makes life ever so worth living.

Hope all have a wonderful day today, too!!

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi again! Spotty I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to read and post in the Daily yesterday. Hopefully this info will help! While this is especially for Spotty, I don't mind posting it publically in case it's of interest to others. If you are not interested in SMART tools or Thyroid info...just skip this post!

On Smart Recovery - I think you said you ordered the work book? I bet that is really helpful. I haven't ordered it, so let me know how you like it. I just use the information about the individual tools that is in the tool box along with getting tool help in the on-line meetings and from reading posts. It can be confusing to "get started" with the Smart tools because there really isn't a hard and fast way to use them and order to do them in. What I have generally seen recommended is starting with the Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA). I actually did one of these in July of 2007 and drug it out again a few months ago. It really is a working document - you will find all kinds of things over time to add to it, and you will find LIES in it too! (i.e. a benefit of drinking that I had listed from '07 was "Drinking relieves stress." You've probably read my thoughts on that within the last few days....) So if you haven't started actually writing and "working" tools, that would be a good one to start with. I also like the "ABC" tool and now I'm trying to remember what ABC stands for LOL!!! This is the tool that helps me identify irrational beliefs / thinking and work at changing that thinking to something that is at least rational! (i.e. "I cannot make it through this situation without drinking." That's not true. A true statement might be "It will be difficult to get through this situation without drinking, but I can do it.")

There are sections on the for the different tools and I would suggest reading a lot of posts about whatever tool you are working on - if that makes any sense!! I HIGHLY recommend the on-line meetings. I especially like the meeting that is in PalTalk (you have to download the free software, but it allows both text and voice chat - I only use text but it's nice to hear the others!) at 5PM CST on Mondays. The facilitator Sam (a woman) is just super. I'm not sure how that meeting works in your schedule, but if you think you might want to attend I could make a point of being there too. I need to get back to my meeting groove anyway!

On Thyroid - WHUH??? Your doctor took you off of meds??? I agree with your Mom that doesn't sound right. But I'm not a doctor!! When you get tested, many doctors only look at the TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). The ranges considered "normal" are highly questionable, and that test doesn't tell you much all by itself anyway. You also need a FREE T3 (not total T3) and FREE T4. (Free tells how much of each is actually available in your blood stream - it does not count T3 or T4 that might be THERE but not availalbe - these hormones bind to other things like calcium, estrogen, stuff like that). Lot's of people get results like mine, where technically my TSH was in the (too wide) "normal" range but my T3 especially was low. The trick is finding a doctor that truly understands how to test, and ALSO a doctor that will treat symptoms in addition to strictly test results. Sounds like you have symptoms if you are generally not feeling well and of course weight problems often come with low thyroid. Stop the Thyroid Madness is an informative site. If you think you might need to find a different doctor, PM me your city/state and I will see if my friend who helped me has someone on her doctor list in your area. Ideally, a good doctor for this would also want to test your other hormones like progesterone, estrogen, cortisol, etc. I personally feel more comfortable with a natural thyroid like Armour (and there are a couple of other brands too) rather than Synthetics like Synthroid. Also, Synthroid is T4 only. Many people don't improve on Synthroid because they also need T3 (a common synthetic version is Cytomel) and are not prescribed that. A TSH test alone doesn't tell you that.

Mean time SpottyD - it sounds like you had a wonderful walk on the beach with Dingo yesterday. I'm glad you feel it was good head clearing and thinking time. I love time like that!

OK - before I lose all my typing I think I will start another post. It's feast or famine with me.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Cinders - I am SO GLAD you are headache free this morning! I feel so un-caught up on your medical situation. I hope there is an end in sight to these headaches for you. I admire your good attitude and the fact that you make the most of the good days. I hope your family week next week is wonderful and as headache free as possible!

OK Speedster. I understand your Utopia (love your term and your own skepticism LOL!) description and now I'm going to challenge you a bit. In your post you acknowledge how good you are starting to feel and how nice it is to be clear headed all day, etc. etc. So how exactly is drinking, which makes you feel something "less good" than that, "Utopia?" *smilie* I truly do understand the wishful thinking of drinking. But for me I've decided it's an AL trick becuase drinking sure never made me feel good - really - so why do I want to do it "just sometimes" and feel like crap? Illogical. Of course if drinking sometimes turns out to be something you can do - more power too you. I'm only talking about the logic. AL sure brings about some funny logic sometimes. CONGRATS ON DOUBLE DIGITS!!!! Sorry I missed the big day yesterday, but Happy Day 11 Today! And your bike ride in the cold sounds brave and....cold! But probably exhilerating too. This time of year I'm sorta glad I don't exercise outdoors!

OMW - I hope the sun is shining for you today. I tend to get those "gloomy day blues" in the winter too and I hate that. I'm trying to line up some fun stuff for this winter to keep the blues away. But it's hard sometimes!

Brigid - what a perfect post for the last post of yesterday's thread (at least when I read it!) This IS hard work, but rewarding as well. You are such a wonderful example for all of us, and I appreciate that you take the time to read and post and help us all.

WIP - great topic that led to Brigid's post that this IS very hard work. I think MWO and also Seven Weeks to Sobriety (heavily based on nutritional deficiences / supplementation) BOTH make it sound a lot easier than it is. The supplements sure help, but they are far from being magic, ITA. Also - I'm sorry to hear the estate business continues to be a drag. Is there an end in sight any time soon?

And on this topic.....Mack, LOL on the Magic Pill in 75 years. Why can't WE have the Magic Pill NOW!!!! Mean time, glad you are getting past the initial AF yuckiness and into the part where you start feeling good.

Gyco it's good to see you and it sounds like you have a good daily routine going.

WELCOME TOM 3.0! My husband Mr. Doggy is a computer geek and we have a computer business. So I must ask you - what features are new with version 3.0?? *smilie* Welcome to MWO and the Daily AF thread. There are folks here with a range of AF goals - mine is abstinence of the forever kind. After a number of struggles and bad choices, I am finally on a good run and will celebrate 6 months AF this Saturday. Congratulations on your two weeks AF - that is an awesome start! WE CAN DO THIS!!

Charlee - I love the visual you described about leaving the ring and the building. I could really see that in my head from your description. I love visuals like that - the pictures come to my mental rescue much faster than the "words" sometimes when a drinking thought creeps in. I also agree that positive attitude really makes this AF trip a much more pleasant one!!

Deter - :kudos:288 Days!!!! :kudos: - You have come so far in your journey. I'm honored to be somewhere in your wake on this path. It's so wonderful to hear you describe yourself at peace in the middle of the lion's den - ENJOYING your dinner! What kind of camera do you have?

Janice - keep hanging in there! You can do this. Are you hosting the dinner party on Saturday, or attending a dinner party? (I'm sure I missed something along the way!) Either way, I hope it's fun and that you don't have to spend the whole time worrying over AL.

Greenie - so how did the annual vet visit turn out?

MM - Congratulations on 7 pounds down!!!!

Mary - LOL on the Vinopades. Sadly, I've got a number of those movies right there on the shelf with the Vodkapades. I totally agree with you that VIVIDLY remembering the bad stuff from drinking episodes is vital to my sobriety. The pictures that come to my head in a nanosecond as soon as a drinking thought descends. Equally important are the very positive things that have come about as a result of being sober. This is actually a good reminder for me to drag out my Cost Benefit Analysis worksheet and update it. I try to do that at least once a month - it's every growing and changing!

Sausage - congrats on 2 weeks of your renewed sobriety! When I saw your post about "When a Man Loves a Woman" I went to Netflix and put it on the list. I haven't seen it. I :h Netflix! Sounds like a movie that for better or worse, I will relate to.

LVT - I added The Days of Wine and Roses too! I'm sorry that you and hubby had a fight. It's so hard when Men internalize their concerns (i.e. worries about the economy) and then "lash out" in other ways - at the kids, at the wife rather than talk about what's really wrong. My Dad is like that to a T. I hope he decides to confide in you! Thank you very much for sharing that message you got about taking things personally. I tend to take WAY too many things personally that in retrospect, I'm sure were no intended that way. It's nice to not be drunk all the time so we can 1) recognize problems like this and 2) work on them with a clear head!

Mame!!! I LOVE seeing you here!!! We are all going to be counting on you to bring us tales of sunshine and short shorts! Make us pea green with envy for your weather! I am also pea green of your upcoming 3 weeks off for the holidays!!!!!

OMW - I don't know what I'd do without the internet. I go crazy if it's down for 5 minutes. Congratulations on your survival!! I will post the turnip recipe next. The sugar free cheese cake turned out to die for too!!!!

I hope I did not miss anyone but if I did....HAPPY AF THURSDAY!!!! It's a great day to wake up smiling and hangover free. Are you nauseated yet??? Yes..I'm in a good mood.

Yesterday I didn't get here in the early AM as the new freezer for the beef and pork arrived shortly after 6AM. I was so glad we were first on their route so I could get on with other things instead of waiting around all day! So I got in my workout early, then tiffed up to run errands which I don't normally tiff up for. But one of the stops was at my doctor's office to pick up some supplement refills so I figured she might want to see the results of the project she is so critically involved in. Then to Trader Joes for some organic stuff and disappointment in some NOT organic stuff and then my other running around. So it ended up a busy day, but got a lot knocked off the list so hopefully I can watch figure skating in relative peace Friday and Saturday. I am also trying to get all the groceries and whatever else done this week to avoid the pre-Thanksgiving madness that will abound next week.

I usually do the Cardio Blast with one of the Curves owners on Wednesday, but we re-scheduled for today. So we will be workin' the recovery stations HARD and we are going 3 times around the circuit. (that standard program is 2X around) So I think I will burn off some of the au gratin turnips and cheesecake! I just realized my next weigh in will be 3 days after Thanksgiving weekend, and Curves is closed Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun next week. NO FAIR!! I will have to be very vigilent which I should be anyway.

I'm sure you are long since done with your sandwich and probably about to pass out from starvation if you've read this far. Someday I will learn to make a long story short.

Finally, this post is over.

DG

ETA: I had to go back and delete 3 smilies. This post is definitely way too long!
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG,

Just so you know, I read every bit of your long posts. Every bit.

You are so beloved here and for good reason. You think your way through things, you take action on your issues and you follow through.

Those are the keys to beating this addiction.

Keep writing. We all love it.

Oh, and one more for you. :l

Oh, one more. :l

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

WOW is our list getting long?.that is certainly a good sign I?d say.

One of the best things about maintaining sobriety is how I physically feel. I know most of you on the same path as I understand what I mean.
              Waking rested, having stable blood sugar, no bloat, normal WC habits?.:Hi?ll stop there. Sure, I still have those blue days but at the very least I know normally, that is just 1 day.

My day ended on a good note as I watched one of my older kids play an indoor soccer match. I am amazed at the level of play this group of players has achieved, very cool stuff. They have an exceptional coach and a lot of drive?.very cool indeed.

Cindi, so glad you woke less the headache!!

Have a day with a bit of running, have fun all!!

nat
              Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi Everyone: I'm in a hurry but wanted to check in. I'll be back later. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

I love those DG psots too! (little doggie is in great shape! 1st heartworm check, as she was too young before and was a stray, was negative)

I have a million things to do today as I leave town in the morning for a week. I am sure the change of scenery will do me wonders. I think estranged one has forgottten I will be gone, but I shall sneak into the office and gather what I need to write checks for all the past, present, and future bills and leave them out for him to pay as he can and chooses.

My sister and her family (hubby and adult kids) are normal drinkers but I don't see that as a problem for me. I'm taking my letterboxing stuff and hiking shoes. I anticipate a wonderful time basking in that family love and being away from gobshite (I'm liking that new word, but I don't quite get how to pronounce it - is the "i" long or short? :H)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it and have a wonderful week for those who don't). Be happy and well and love yourself. Try not to pine for me too much :H

:h :l to all. Gee, alll of a sudden I feel like I'm leaving "home" .
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Have fun greenie!!
                    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi everyone

I'm also in a bit of a hurry - got to pick my daughter up from school and then get myself and kids to the hairdressers for a hair cut. Will check back in later.

Have a good AF day everyone

Comment

Morning all
                        Greenie have a great time.....and happy Thursday everyone..
                        OMW....The physical benefits of sobriety....one of these days I am going to make a list of all negatives associated with my drinking, and how long it took me to gear up for the day ahead. I would wake up extra early, just not to have DH see or observe my state.....Gallons of coffee, gallons of water, eye drops, make up. trying to get shakes under control, to exhausted and physically shot just to go down the stairs just to grab the morning paper..this all before he even got out of bed!...When I think of the time I gained....Actually, maybe I don't want to see that list!!!..lol

I hope everyone has a great day..
                        sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks for starting the thread on such a positive note DG! I am getting a bit hungry though!!:H

Hubby actually apologized and revealed his source of stress was work related among other things. They are cutting our insurance benefits and raising the deductible. The benefits are the only reason he took the job in the first place. Could be worse, but seems unfair to take a cut in pay after being there so long. Anyway, I hope he feels better getting it off his chest, I know I do.

Went to Walmart-UGGH-and stocked up on grocery items so I can start sending kids lunch to school daily. Going broke with the school lunch system!

Well, I better quit for now. Hubby is home, we have a funeral to attend this morning.

Cindi--really glad you woke up feeling good today!

Have a good AF day today!1:h
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Oh, and have fun Greenie!!!!
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

DG, thanks for taking the time to put together such thoughtful posts. I thought about what you posted earlier about feeling ?less good?.

I became concerned about my consumption because I was drinking 2-3 light beers on most weeknights and more on weekends. If I bought a bottle of wine, I would drink ? more on my own. I hope that I?m recognizing a habit that could lead to a problem at an early stage.

My ?utopian? relationship with AL is that I want it to be a food item, and nothing else. I want to put alcohol in the same category as cr?me brulee ? not something that?s healthy to eat every day, not something you want 6 servings of in one meal, but a food that can be enjoyed in small quantity, as to not feel bad, on a special occasion.

I don?t mean for that analogy to downplay the potential seriousness of AL. My goal is to use the MWO philosophy to reset my habits and when a special occasion presents itself, allow myself to have a glass of wine (and some cr?me brulee).

If my cr?me brulee rule breaks down then I will know moderation on special occasions is not an option. I remain cautiously optimistic and guarded because of what I learn through others? experiences on MWO and I will remain watchful.

I also don?t mean for this to annoy folks on this thread who are very focused on remaining AF. I really am focused on being AF here and now. Again thanks for the support and input.

Comment

Working...
                              X