Recipe for OMW - Scalloped NOT Potatoes w/ Carmelized Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And of course for anyone else looking for low carb alternative to potatoes. Oh the comfort food of it all! Anyway, before I tell you it's TURNIPS and you turn ip your nose and move on, let me tell you how much I hate and loath turnips. But I LOVE this recipe. I'm taking it to the family Thanksgiving dinner and I'm betting that not one person will know it's not potatoes unless I tell them. And then they probably won't believe me.

Ingredients:
    4 large turnips peeled (go fairly deep when you peel - I'm told the "bitter" is at the surface) and sliced as you would potatoes for scalloped potatoes. (I used the food processor to slice)
    3T heavy cream
    2 slices bacon (I used 3 as the bacon we use is pretty thinly sliced)
    1 T butter
    1 large onion sliced into paper thin rings (I used the food processor to do the slicing)
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 cup shredded white cheese of your choice (the author of the recipe likes asagio for this - I used parmesan as it's what I had on hand and that was good too)
    Additional 1/2 cup cheese for top (optional) (I used a bit of mozarella and a bit of cheddar as that's what I had in the fridge that needed to get used up)
    3 T butter
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/8 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spary a 2 quart casserole with non-stick spray and set aside.

THIS STEP IS VERY IMORTANT - THIS IS WHAT TAKES THE BITTER OUT OF THE TURNIPS. Boil the sliced turnips for 3 minutes in water AND 3 TABLESPOONS HEAVY CREAM. Since I hate and loath turnips, I actually boiled them for more like 6 minutes in the water and heavy cream.

Dice bacon and fry until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon leaving the bacon drippings in the pan. At 1 T. butter, nutmeg and onions. Saute over low heat until the onions are nicely browned. Add the bacon back in.

In a microwave safe cup, melt 3T. butter, then add cream and cheese. Stir to melt, heating in microwave 20 seconds at a time until smooth.

Place 1/2 the turnips in the bottom of the casserole dish, followed by 1/2 the onion mixture then 1/2 the cream/cheese sauce. Repeat the layers. Sprinkle additional cheese on top if using.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 - 20 minutes more until top is bubbly and slightly browned and turnips are tender. (well, mine were already tender!)

I hope you like it as much as I do!

If you consider this to be 8 servings, my food calculator came up with 196 calories and 6 grams carbohydrate per serving. If you were to use the exact same recipe only with potatoes instead of turnips, it came out to 261 calories per serving and 22 grams carbohydrate.

A small serving was very satisfying and I didn't even feel I had room for low carb sugar free cheesecake!! If you decide to give it a whirl, hope you like it as much as I did. And Mr. Doggy liked it too. That's a miracle.

Recipe credit goes to Dottie at Low Carb Friends!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Thanks, this sounds great. You should post it in the recipe section. I love t-nips, they are good for you and very easy to grow in the garden.

thanks again, nat
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

I have never eaten a turnip in my life, but this sounds scrumptious.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

yumarooooo! thanks DG!!
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Determinator;473469 wrote: yumarooooo! thanks DG!!
          For me anyway, this recipe is a low carbers DREAM come true. Especially now that winter is starting up which = a strong desire for comfort food here. I guess you don't have to worry so much about that in the desert though!

Dee Bee - give it a whirl!

OMW - Now that I'm figuring out ways to cook them that we like, I might just have to add them to my garden wish list for next year. LOL - I suspect the "wish" will be much grander than the "reality."

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
          X