Gracie's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gracie's Story

My drinking problem has progressed for 20 years. My father was an alcoholic, and his father, and my mothers father. Most, if not all, of my parents friends drank. They all got together to play cards all the time ... and drank ... laughed ... they were fun to be around. If drinking problems are inherited or caused by upbringing, well....

A few beers lead to more beers. Then I learned to love wine. A few glasses lead to more. I have every kind of wine glass they make. I love to go wine tasting, and naturally I buy it, lots of it. I always knew I drank a lot ... called myself a moderate drinker, but by definition, I have been a heavy drinker for a long time. I've been getting concerned for the past 18 months or so because I started adding to my typical behaviors. I started hiding alcohol in my home so my husband wouldn't realize how much I was drinking. Seems I am drinking more and he is drinking less.

Then I got even more worried when I started drinking during the week during the day. I have the type of job where some weeks I'm on the road, and some I'm home! My husband came home and found me drunk a couple of times. He couldn't believe it, neither could I. Then I had another bad episode where I got really drunk one night and fell down some stairs ... I hurt myself pretty bad, and I humiliated myself even worse. Shortly after ... yet another incident. I knew I had to do something before this really got away from me. I found the MWO program. I have been on it for 9 days. I tested it too early last weekend, but I learned from that. I haven't had a drink in 6 days. My goal is moderation when I'm ready. I'm glad to be here.

Gracie

Gracie's Story

Gracie

Hi Gracie,
    Glad you are here. Congrats on your 6 days (8 days now?). Sounds like are ready to get honest about your drinking. That's huge. I too had fallen down stairs when drinking and many times had unexplained bruises on my legs from injury I had no recollection of. What aspects of the program are you doing? Today I have 57 days sober with the help of this site, Campral, journaling, prayer, exercise and some supplements. Hope you find success in your goals. Keep reading and posting, it helps! Gina

Comment

Gracie's Story

Re: Gracie

Gina,
      Thanks for the reply. Congrats to you on 57 days, that's!! I am doing most everything in the program like outlined in the book, although I may need a little more adjustment to the diet and I have modified the use of the CDs some. I have always eaten pretty healthy but my pasta cravings are out-of-control right now. I am also keeping a journal and I'm doing a lot with affirmations at night in lieu of the sleep learning CDs, but I use the other 3 CDs. Thanks again for taking a moment to respond.

Gracie

Comment

Gracie's Story

mystery injuries

Gracie and Gina,
        We always called those "stoner bruises"! ("How did THAT get there??") I have also fallen down stairs, fell on sidewalk (ripped a new pair of jeans! I wore them anyway.) Even worse, I had been known to leave candles lit before going to bed/passing out. This got so embarrassing to me that I would guilt myself out of lighting or even buying candles at all. What if I get stupid drunk and forget? Thinking I don't deserve anything as nice as a fricking candle.

I had really crazy sugar and chocolate cravings the first week but that seems to have subsided. However, I recently found out htat I'm pregnant so I don't really know what my body is doing.

I have been posting and reading for about a month and have very much enjoyed this community. Even though I am not "really" doing the program, the thought processes and posts have been very helpful.

Good luck and congrats on your hard work.
        CS

Comment

Working...
        X