AF Daily Saturday 22nd November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning everyone - it's a very cold morning here in UK - we're in for a very cold weekend - maybe even snow in some parts later.

Last night was a fairly painless AF friday - used to really struggle with Fridays, more than saturdays even, but think I'm getting a bit better at coping now.

Want to get some exercise later - not had a very good week for this with my husband being away a lot and my little boy has not been very well, so only done 1 swim this week - my last run was last weekend.

Have a good AF day everyone - i'll check back later

sausage

Good morning Sausage. A bit chilly here this w/kend too, even though it's nearly summer. Great that Friday night wasn't too painful for you.. . Hope you can get a run in! G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

hi sausage cold here to beleive me the fridays and saturdays soon seem like every other day,your doin great,i wish you well and hav a great day gyco

Comment

hi guiltarista

Comment

hey there Gyco.. What you up to this weekend?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good morning AFers from the world over!

I think yesterdays thread reflected some honesty that I find refreshing and much needed. I hope that the people who may be reading this, who have gotten miffed over some tough love dished out by me or WIP or Brigid or Chief or or or or can understand that it can be JUST as frustrating to be on this side of the tough love as to be on the recieving end of it when/if you're not ready to hear it.

Personally, I WOULD NOT BE HERE TODAY celebrating 6 months of sobriety if it were not for those people who dished it out to me in STRAIGHT TALK when I needed it. Whether I thought I was ready to hear it or not. Those people have taken their share of crap for being tough like that, and I am so glad that those who got tough with me are tough enough to keep dishing it out and taking crap for it on many occassions.

Quitting drinking is tough, tough business. No room for candy and fairy dust - at least not in my quest for sobriety. Like Sausage's great starter post for the day, I am EVER so grateful for each and every day I get to enjoy where sobriety seems relatively easy to achieve. If I ever come here to this thread or to my journal (My New Story..) and say that I am REALLY struggling and having a bad time saying no to booze, I fully expect a kick in the ass and some straight talk reminders about where ONE drink will take an alkie like me. I will just go on record saying that for me personally, in that situation, please don't offer me a group hug or tell me it's OK if I drink and that trying again tomorrow will be alright. Because if I give up this fight and have even ONE drink I will end up going through the rough stuff all over again, and NO WAY do I want to be there. I want to continue on my sober path because life is WAY better this way, and it just keeps getting better all the time. I spent years in the "tomorrow is another day to try to quit so let's drink for today" mode and life sucked in that place. I don't expect to do the same old things and get results that are any different.

That is why it is hard for me too sometimes to lend support, because "soft" support didn't help me and I don't think it will help others. I think the best *I* can do at this point is to post here in the AF Daily thread - I get such a good strong vibe from this thread each day now - and post in my journal. And offer a kick in the ass to anyone who reaches out for one.

:soapbox2: OK - I'll try not to fall while getting off of my very big soapbox.

Oh, did I mention today is 6 months sober for me??? WHEE!!! I 'm really proud of that accomplishment. It hasn't been easy but it's sure been worth it!!!! WE CAN DO THIS. :b&d:

Well, I'm all wide awake now and off to watch figure skating. The ladiezzzzz free skate is first today, and there is a pretty big chance that it will be a sad splatfest. I better make more coffee.

Oh - while I'm bragging on my accomplishments in a completely nauseating way, I tried on a pair of size 8 Tall (talls are bigger than regulars) jeans and courderoys from Eddie Bauer today that FIT!!! They are in the dryer right now just to make SURE they fit. These will be part of my "goal weight" wardrobe that I hope to wear forever. Couldn't get fit and look decent when drinking........... OK! Enough!!!

Mean time....good day Sausage, Guitarista and Gyco!

Our future is so bright.....

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Morning all, and congrats doggy. I know how hard you've worked and the changes you've made. Guess it is all about change....in many aspects.

Today is a busy one with lots of kid stuff this afternoon and cleaning this morning. Not worried, no temptations for me.

Have a great day all

nat
              Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Just popping in quickly - thats all I seem to manage at the moment!! I'm all organised for tonight - for starters doing prawn and crab pate on a bed of herbs - tarragon, mint and parsley with baby beets in sweet vinegar, followed by roast lamb with rosemary with mint and redcurrant sauce, followed by vanilla terrine with a blackberry coulis!!! I've put hubby in charge of the alcohol and I've got my little stock of tonic water/lemons lined up!!! I've got a feeling they're all going to be sozzled by the end of the night as they're coming really early!

Scanned yesterday's thread but intend to go back to it and read more thoroughly. Yes we do all have our own path to sobriety (and surely thats our common goal here otherwise we might as well be on facebook!) and thats the one we have to follow. Everyone here is different with different lifestyles, different problems etc etc and what works for one may not necessarily work for someone else. Getting on that path and staying on that path is bloody hard work there's no doubt about it but I would hate to think anyone in real need would resist from posting - especially on this thread - because they would be wary or scared of the response they might get. I think there's a balance to be had and this thread has always seemed to get it right; hopefully that will continue.

You a swimmer too Sausage eh?? Followed Brigid's advice and dragged myself out of bed this morning. Didn't do my usual amount - felt so very unfit - but really enjoyed it and managed 30.
                Looking foward to having more time next week but will be back tomorrow!

love Janicexxx
                AF since 9 May 2012
                Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Hi OMW and Janice. I think busy is good - at least that usually keeps me far away from trouble! And OMW thanks for the props!!

Janice, your menu sounds great, and it sounds like you've got your plan in order for staying sober. Good idea putting Mr. in charge of the drinks. Once you are past this dinner party and have a little more time, I would love for you to share how you make coulis. I've just never made sauces like that before so haven't a clue! I would like to learn to make them for cheesecake and stuff. Mean time, YOU CAN DO IT - the party al free.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG, as usual, I completely agree. And huge CONGRATULATIONS on SIX MONTHS!!! You know I am trotting along behind you, every 22nd we kick over another month; this one is four months AF for me; and you have been a big part of my path, setting a fantastic example, encouraging all of us. Thank you!

Janice, I doubt there is any reason to worry that there will ever be a time when all the folks here have a (gently) hard-nosed and challenging approach to encouraging people, and offering help to those who are struggling. For some of us, certainly for me, the softer approach is simply ineffective, and feels (to me) as if it minimizes the problem, and fails to offer the challenge that I truly need to accomplish my goals. Of course not everyone responds the same way to various approaches...

Hi Sausage, Gyco, Mr. G., OMW, and all to come; have a great weekend!

wip

Comment

DG -- High Five for the 6-month milestone and the Size EIGHT, yes I'm saying EIGHT jeans.

What I love about this thread is that people are focused on the big picture life changes. Not just focusing on not drinking, but focusing on the positive actions -- exercise, eating healthier, new hobbies. This ties into the thread of a couple days ago about positive thinking.

Janice - your menu sounds exquisite and you'll have no problem staying AF, you need to concentrate on that menu, distractions of any sort, even too much conversation in the middle of preparation can throw things off. Focus on the smells, the colors, the textures of the food. You'll have a successful night. If someone asks you in you want a glass of wine tell them "no, I can't risk losing focus on this sauce, you're going to really enjoy this dish. I don't want to mess it up."

Spotty - my rescue has not had any major behavior issues (I'm so grateful). I applaud you for working hard with your Dingo. There's a woman in our agility class with a borde collie who I really look up to. She was kexcused from an obedience class, started her BC in agility with a muzzle on. 2 years later the dog still gets a little scared but she competes, wins ribbons and is becoming a fast agility dog. The handler has amazing patience. Dogs never stop learning and your dingo would love the challenge and independence in agility. I enjoy it because I'm learning something new. The competitions I don't care about much, but figure it will be fun to try. Look for a beginner class, dogs are usually on leash in beginner class. Dingo is at a good age, maturity level to start agility.

I attend an organic gardening workshop tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. Today I hope to make some bread and do a long hike and some agility work. Tooooo cold to ride the bike.

Have a great day everyone!

Comment

Good morning one and all,

Gotta love all the positive energy around this joint!!!

I realize I'm still a newbie here and it probably looks like I've made a pretty easy transition to sobriety. The truth is that I had tried to moderate my drinking for years and years and failed again and again. My Way Out and this community were the final pieces to the puzzle.

For anyone starting on this path, let me assure you that, if you stop drinking.....

You will feel better.

You will sleep better.

You will eat better.

You will think better.

You will work better.

You will perform better.

You will look better.

Your body will function better.

You will be a better mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son.

You will be a better friend.

You will be happier.

Best Wishes to one and all!

Comment

Another awesome thread going this morning! I slept in instead of going to yoga. My bad as my kids would say. I have GOT to get motivated again to stay fit and get fitter. I want to fit into my size 8 SHORT jeans!!:upset: That's where I need a kick in the arse! I guess when I watch hubby drink his 12 pack, I figure one cookie and several Dove chocolates won't hurt.

Speaking of food, Janice, what time should I show up? Sounds wonderful! I think having the limes/lemons cut up and ready to go is a great idea. I know there have been times when it was just easier to reach for a beer instead of making the effort to put together something else.

Tom--I love your list. These positive affirmations really help me!

Speedster--I am anxious to hear more about your organic gardening!!

I'm not going to mention everyone--sorry, my brain just can't remember it all, so I'll leave that up to you others that are better at it.

I watched the movie "Days of Wine and Roses" yesterday. It's an oldie but a goodie. They did a good job of showing what can happen when they tell themselves they can have just one or two drinks since they had been so "good". Also a good example of what havoc alcoholism wreaks on the family. At the beginning of the movie Jack Lemmon was the drinker--social functions, company dinners....he was trying to convince his soon to be girlfriend/wife that she should drink. When he asked her why she didn't, she said "Never really saw any point in it." he said, "But it makes you feel good" to which she replied "But I ALREADY feel good." Loved that part. Of course it goes downhill for her from there. he gets her started on brandy alexanders because she's a chocolatolic and in the end, she can't give up the booze, even for her child.

Ok, enough on movie reviews. Fairly busy weekend ahead. Tonight we will be at the club cooking and in the past I've had a few beers (Hey, it's free) but I think I'll stick with tonic and lime tonight.

Have a great weekend everyone!! :h
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Yes, Janice, that menu just is amazing. Sounds fabulous!

I am beginning to work my own way back to a lower-carb diet. I don't want to do the whole Atkins routine, because I know so many people have done it, lost a lot of weight, but been unable to keep a strict hold on types of acceptable food, then just gotten really big again. I did it for a while; I did lose weight but do not want to give up bread and potatoes forever. I am actually cutting back on meat, too, and I really do not like tofu. SO: lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, cheese, brown rice. That's what I think I can stick with over the long haul.

I especially need help with desserts, because I get a bit nutso with chocolate as a sort of reward-instead-of-alcohol. NOT GOOD.

Last night I made a berry crumble, changing the recipe by using whole wheat flour instead of regular flour in the topping, cutting the brown sugar in half, and adding some splenda. Also added some walnuts to the crumbly mix. It was good, but not great. The topping was dry, and there just wasn't enough sweetness. Any ideas? DG?

wip

Comment

Dear Abstainers,

It's certainly been a long time since I posted here. I joined MWO about two years ago. I love the site but after a few days AF would revert back to old drinking habits and console myself by saying that I really didn't have a "problem" . I shunned the tough love approach because I felt that I really didn't need it.
                              I walked into an AA meeting in the end of September and they certainly handed me the tough love approach!!. I had no plans to abstain long term as what I really wanted a way to drink and control the amount I drank. I met a young woman at the meeting whe is literally dying of liver disease as a result of heavy drinking. She will probably leave three small children without a mother.Alcohol is a drug that is so prevalent in our society that we often forget that it is potentially very dangerous to our health.
                              I have always had a extremely negative opinion of AA. I will honestly say, though, that as I reach my 70th day without a drink, they are the only program that has worked for me. I certainly "take what I need and leave the rest" and generally attend women only meetings as i find that they are most helpful to me.
                              MWO has always been very dear to my heart. I stayed away for most of these 70 days AF because I was so sick of myself coming back here after yet another night of wine drinking(and then whining about it). I feel right now that staying sober through the Holidays is of utmost importance to me. It will not be easy but nothing that is worthwhile achieving ever is.
                              I love "seeing" you all again and look foward to getting to know all new faces.
                              Doggy girl, it is wonderful to see you at six months sobe!!!!. As ever, you are a real treasure around here.
                              I have to run to a hockey game now but wanted to "re-introduce" myself. I'm a new "tougher" Janet and will probably have to change my screen name here from "vinophile" to "vinophobe"
                              I look foward to going through the Holdiays with you all sober and strong.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X