And now my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now my story

Hi! I am a 60 year old lady with a drinking problem. I go through at least a bottle of wine a day with sometimes a cognac of whiskey as a chaser. I have been worried that this drinking may be causing physical problems so went for a preventive check-up and am told I'm very fit for my age (I work out - spinning, high impact step aerobics) and that I have no medical problems. Why do I drink? Good question. I moved to Europe 20 years ago to save my marriage and the first years here were very difficult. I gradually went from a couple of glasses of wine to a bottle - it has become a habit - I really can't say it's something I crave. I just like the way it makes me feel and figure, after working full-time professionally all my adult life, I now deserve a treat. Problem is, I do not feel fit in the mornings, although I have never missed a day of work because of this bad habit. One side affect is that it makes me gain weight, so starting 1 jan. I'm going on a very restricted diet - with absolutely no alcohol. I can do this (have done it before) but after the 10 lbs or so are gone, I go back to my old habits and that is what I want to change. I have tried to purchase the book but can't find it here so will have to have it sent from the U.S. In the meantime, it has been a real eye opener that there are many more like me - hardworking, dependable, good mother and grandmother, good wife and stuck with this problem. Wish me luck!

And now my story

Welcome!

Hi candu2 and welcome to this site! It is helpful finding people in similar circumstances, isn't it! I have found much inspiration and hope here. I too loved my chardonnay a little too much and it got the best of me. I also hated the extra calories it would put on despite working out daily. My "treat" now is remembering everything I did the night before, my energy level and my clear head. The book and cd's are helpful! All the best to you! Gina

Comment

And now my story

The Book

You can get the book from amazon.co.uk. Good luck

Comment

And now my story

Re: The Book

Hi Candu2, I?m also new here. It was also hard for myself to admit to the problem but it?s the greatest step. I actually feel a great relief just admitting to the problem and taking action. The taking action is the great part, it suddenly rid me of all the remorse I had.
        Best of luck you your new embarked journey.

Stay in there,
        Knox

Comment

And now my story

Re: The Book

Not quite 60 yet, but I'm getting close. You're a great inspiration to those of us 55+ who need to improve our health. I too often felt I deserved a 'treat' in the evening, without giving due consideration to its lousy companion. I hope we both can finally loose our 10+ pounds permanently in 2006.

Comment

Working...
          X