Harm Minimisation/Harm Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just wondering what the moderators knew/though about Harm Minimisation and Harm Reduction as a means of treating Alcohol addiction? :new:

I'm not a "moderator" but I do know that the concept is a valuable one in the world of addiction treatment (although most 12-steppers do not appreciate it much, and most of the addiction "treatment" world is 12-step oriented). There are some promising data out of Canadian studies using the model with homeless or very low income, severely addicted folks.

In some ways, I think of the MWO as being a version of a harm reduction intervention, in that even the folks who do not do as well as they would like to (whether AF or "mods") appear often to reduce their drinking significantly, at least for a while, and that represents a type of "harm reduction."

wip

Comment

GypsyT
      Cut and paste this address and this site will give you information about the harm reduction program for alcoholism.

harm reduction substance abuse treatment at harmreduction.com

I don't have first hand knowledge about it. A lady pops up on the screen to "tell" you about the program. I was at work when I pulled it up and almost died as I share office space. She started out with..."Hello, do you or someone you know..." I immediately shut if off!! LOL

So caution when you watch it but it may give you info you're looking for. Keep coming here and reading the posts and you'll find a lot of info here as well.

A big, warm welcome to you!
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes Wip- I would agree re. MWO- at least so far. Thanks for your insights!

Eve- the link you sent didn't work! But thank you so very much for your welcome.

I have e-mailed a lecturer of mine who taught me the 'academics' of drug/alcohol use. He's also had plenty of first hand experience with such issues and sent me the names of a few people to contact, which I have done. So just waiting to be counseled and analysed. I am SO excited I can hardly wait LoL!

I just know that I am so fortunate to have a lot of really decent people in my life and a very loving family. I also have the best partner in the world. Having said that, they've all gone through the same traumas that I have over the last couple of years, especially the last. I am the only one who has coped- if you can call it that- with increasingly compulsive drinking. I don't feel like I need to be 'fixed'- I feel like I need to be 'helped'. Even posting my first message here yesterday was so hard! But the support I have received in the last 24 hours has been great! I always knew logically that I was not alone, it's really beyond what words can express to see other peoples realities to confirm that I am not alone.

Thanks!

Comment

"I always knew logically that I was not alone, it's really beyond what words can express to see other peoples realities to confirm that I am not alone."

Couldn't agree more GypsyT. I felt EXACTLY that when I first came on here. Still do every day. I think, finally coming across so many people, just like me, has been one of the greatest blessings I have had. It's been so heart-warming and empowering to know so many wonderful people on MWO... and to meet new people like you.

Hang in there and we hope to see you post more in Long Term Mods on your experiences and your journey. Also on your learnings and findings about Harm Reduction/ Minimisation. I am not familiar with this term but it sounds fascinating and I'm sure we'll all like to know more about it when you feel you can share some info from your further research.

Cheers, take care. z

Comment

Hi Miss Gypsy,

Don't know beans about the harm reduction model, but then I haven't spent any time researching it. What I do know is that there is a lot of support on this site whatever your goals, so you can't lose whatever your path. Even if you end up struggling considerably and never reach the goals you set (guess this is what WIP was talking about) you still win. Most of us are never as bad as we once were. Good luck to you whatever your path.

Vera-b

Comment

Thanks a bunch Vera! Once again, I am touched!

The support and ability to write about my struggles with alcohol here has been great for me in terms of boosting my self awareness. I still am searching for my path, but feeling a bit more confident that I will find it.

The best description of 'harm minimisation' principles I could find can be found at this link from an Australian drug & alcohol group- Harm minimisation

I think the initial success of harm min is Australia was related to needle exchange programs in the early eighties as a means of preventing HIV outbreak amongst injectors. Harm min has three principles- supply reduction, demand reduction & harm prevention. It's most recently being considered as a strategy to improve the lives of gamblers and smokers. You'll often find that drinking & alcohol se is mentioned but there's not a lot of conversation happening amongst drinkers themselves. This is something I've found a bit disheartening in the past week as I sort of assumed drinkers would know all about just as much as those using illicit drugs do. There's a lot of evidence behind it. Not sure if it's my path or not but learning about it was probably the final straw which drove me to become more active in saying out loud what I've known far a bit over a year- that I have a problem, I want to do something about it, but I want options in the process.

Thanks again! (feedback always valued and helpful)

Comment

Working...
              X