Message From Above

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message From Above

So last night I was comfortable enough into day 2 with some major anxiety but trucking through hoping I wouldn't end up in the hospital (yes, this is my paranoia speaking through the beast. He says "you can stop on your own , ha, ha") And I turn on Oprah.

Her decorating friend, Nate, is doing a basement makeover for a mom who wants it to be a special place for her boys (2 younger sons and hubby). I am thinking oh, that's nice. Find out she has stage 4 breast cancer which had spread into other body systems and has come back for the 3rd or 4th time. She had congestive heart failure as a complication in early '08 and docs told her to go home & be with her family.

She has more eneregy & enthusiasm than I've had in years (on the bottle) and she wants to leave a special place for her family. The decorator does a great job & the family loves it.

My message from above - I have willing been killing my body with AL. I have chosen to quit and have had a small rough patch. Keep going the higher power says or it will be you setting up your house and affairs to leave your young sons and hubby. I can control what I put in my body and it is my free will. I must choose wisely. My prayers are with the family last night.
    "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Message From Above

Reading this just just takes my breath away.Alcohol is such a hard poison on our bodies.Ever High is just brain cells dieing. Thanks for your post.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Message From Above

Wow, I am having goose-bumps from reading this story, thanks so much for posting it, CCM. I think it was DG who said in a post this morning that we can (at least to some extent) choose our attitude. Reading this story really helps me to do exactly that... when I think about what that mother is doing helps me do that, right this moment.

wip

Comment

Message From Above

Thank you. I find those messages come to me unexpectedly. I can choose to ignore them, or I can choose to see them as learning messages. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Message From Above

C&C Mom, we need to all treasure these types of "epiphany" moments when the messages come. If there is one thing I've learned since starting this journey in July '07, it's that we tend to think as selfishly about quitting AL as we did while over consuming AL. We tend NOT to think about the potential broader consequences of our drinking actions. We SHOULD remember every day that alcohol kills, and that we are setting ourselves up to check out early and leave our loved ones in a mess. I know this sounds like a downer, but it's true.

I also realized as I updated a SMART document on my anni last weekend how much I completely ignored or downplayed risks such as drinking and driving - no good consequences can come from even ONE drink and then getting behind the wheel.

These sobering realizations (literally) are motivation to stay alcohol free for me. It's more fun to think of all the benefits, and that's what I do most of the time. But the consequences should not be overlooked.

Good for you C&C Mom!!!!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Message From Above

you are so right .. we have the control what we put in our body .. and al is just not it anymore ..stay strong and think positive
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Message From Above

C&C, I saw that yesterday as well. It was very heartwarming and powerful. Thanks for reminding us that we are indeed killing ourselves as well. I will do all in my power to keep the poision out of my body. This is my fifth day af...went two weeks before that until the beast won. I feel better equpped to fight the beast this time. We can do this! God bless.
              Hope :h

Comment

Message From Above

I saw it as well and I understand how profoundly the story could affect you. I had tears in my eyes while watching it.

We manage our health with such sad complacency. I have thought some day I will write an apology letter to my liver in my journal.

On the up side, there is a bit of personal intervention at its finest. You know what you need to do and that is a great place to be!! Great realization!!!

nat
                Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Working...
                X