Daily AF Thread - Friday November 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like everyone had a really nice Thanksgiving for those celebrating it. I enjoyed reading everyone's appreciation for being sober. I know I feel that way!

WIP I'm glad your dinner turned out nice - I know you said there was a major change this past year for the friends you used to celebrate with. I'm happy for you!

Deter, I hope you made it through the big crowd event without too much discomfort. I KNOW you made it without booze and I'm proud of you for that!

Mom3 - your day sounds fantastic!

And hello to everyone else from yesterday's thread!

Brigid I'm so glad that you post here. I love being able to hear the perspective of someone with multiple years of sobriety. I'm glad this is turning into a more serious type of thread about dealing with the process of becoming sober and living a fulfilling life without booze. There are always many threads that are more for fun. Please keep coming and posting your thoughts and pearls of wisdom.

Thanksgiving dinner was very nice for us! It was great to be sober AND not "worrying" over how fast we could get out of there to resume the drinking for the day. We had many laughs. My brother's new girlfriend is very nice and took our "crap" like a trooper LOL! One of my cousin's who is gay has finally after all these years come out of the closet so to speak and brought his partner to the gathering. His partner is lots of fun and a great addition to the family. I'm glad the family "elders" are finally more accepting of these things. We're finally moving into the current century.

I am reading a book right now that some of you may want to read. It's The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. The description below the title on the cover is "the 8-Step program to rebalance your body chemistry and end food cravings, weight problems, and mood swings - now! Ross's program is based on....guess what.....amino acid deficiencies and the many problems they cause. She developed this program for mood and weight management based on what she learned at...you guessed it....an alcohol / drug rehab program that was apparently at the forefront of nutritional (amino acid) therapy to help with addiction. The examples and explanations are down to earth (not a lot of medical terminology) but give more in depth information than the My Way Out book did. I'm finding it facinating since it has been obvious for the last 6 months that there is a strong connection between substance addiction and food (i.e. sugar!) and exercise / endorphins, etc. Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone wants to check it out from your library.

OK - I am watching figure skating again. This time it's NHK Trophy from Japan! Pairs are on and the field is not a real strong one at this event, but there is a guy wearing hot pink and I have to check this out a little more fully.

One of these days I'll have to post the cheesecake recipe - cranberry / orange / walnut was fabulous!! (OK WIP I'll make something else for you - how about flourless chocolate cake? All sugar free of course!)

Happy sober Friday everyone!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Good morning DG, and all to come. I've been thinking about diet/body chemistry/nutrition recently, particularly with an alcohol abuse sort of focus... I'm fit, and have been a runner for years, and weight is not an issue, and i feel really good, but i'm interested in nutrition info for an ex drinker, so thanks....Will check that book out.... Hope you and everyone have a great af day!...G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Had a nice Thanksgiving with very good friends. Some drank, some didn't. A good time for one and all!

Again woke-up a bit cranky from too much feast and a bit sore from that Wii game system, the tennis game puts quite a strain on your shoulder! I had a brief thought about relaxing (relapsing) today, but then I remembered...I DON'T DRINK!

Brigid, I love your post from yesterday. Right on!

DG, thanks for the mention of The Diet Cure book. It looks like the next piece in the puzzle.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Comment

Hello, all. Not much to say, lots to do today, I'm getting back into the clearing and sorting mode with Mother's stuff, and mine, getting ready for the sale. I had taken a few days off, need to get back to it.

Would not go near any retail place today for anything! Will get in a good workout, have added a bit of alternating jog/walking, and yesterday cleaned up the rowing machine, and did 10 minutes on it. Feeling it in the shoulders today.... which is a good sign that I need it, I think.

I have mixed feelings about the ideas about supplementation with amino acids (or vitamins, for that matter). There just isn't anything in the way of solid studies that demonstrate that this kind of supplementation is actually helpful; in other words, it is not at all clear that taking these capsules translates into improved metabolic or neurotransmitter functioning. It reminds me of the "chemical imbalance" theory of depression and antidepressant medication, which has been thoroughly debunked, but remains highly popular. Books in the popular press that claim they have a revolutionary "cure" for anything don't impress me much; articles in scientific journals impress me a whole lot more.

That said, I think proper nutrition is extremely important. And eating sugar and refined grains (white flour) is clearly not a good way to get proper nutrition, and probably is also a way to get various aspects of our functioning screwed up. So I am working on cutting those out entirely. Getting pretty good at it.

I hope everyone has a good day!

wip

Comment

Aloha Friday ABland!

DoggyGirl, thanks for the great start, always enjoy your epic posts!

Beautiful scene in the yard this morning, sunshine dazzling on the frozen ground, rabbits bounding around and playing.

Last night's feast was a resounding success in every respect. I was the only non drinker but didn't feel left out. I have been noticing an interesting trend in my body chemistry and I'm curious if anyone else gets this... after I eat a big meal (especially if I over eat) I get really loopy feeling. I actually feel kind of loaded. wierd!

regarding aminos and diets/cures/trends in treatment I'd say it's a fascinating and exciting field that needs more proper research. I'ts amazing how little we know about the functions of the human body after all this time. The incredibly complex world within us of intestinal biota for example. Heres a hunk of trivia for the day: did you know that we contain a 10:1 ratio of microbial cells to human cells? that's right....we are 1/10 human by cell count. Hows that for a new perspective.
          anyhow back to aminos: I think if we have a good nutritional supply of aminos (complete proteins) that our bodies will absorb what they need. I'm very troubled by diet trends that promote (and in many cases profit from) low fat hi carb garbage that has almost no proteins. A perfect diet for mood swings and low energy.

be well everyone!
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good Morning All,

Happy to hear that all had a wonderful TG.

Once again, some great posts this morning. What a great group of thinkers. I think we are all on the cutting edge of attaining a healthy and fulfilling AF.

DG, The Diet Cure sounds intriguing and I will definitely follow up on it. After 3 months of being AF, I followed the "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" protocol to the letter. Among other things, this protocol includes enzymes and amino acids. I think this program was very a big contributor to my well-being. I went from "white knuckling it" to feeling calmer and more in control of my life.

Det, I will have not experienced the "loopy" feeling but I have noticed that I am much less likely to overeat, even on TG. Hooray! I hate that feeling.

OK everyone, fasten your seatbelts. We are now in the holiday race. My family celebrates Hanukkah, Christmas, and even Chinese New Year...my goal is to say centered and happy throughout.
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!
            :lilheart:

Comment

Hi everyone, not felt like posting last few days. Still AF but feel as if I'm hanging on by a thread and as everyone here seems so positive, determined, and "into" their AF journey I just haven't felt like posting or contributing. I haven't had anything to say and so it hasn't felt right to post.

The week has been spent working and in between more paperwork and phone calls re dad's estate and work created as a result of being an attorney for mam's affairs. With all this, I just don't feel I can move on. My memories of Dad - and mam - will never fade - I don't want them to - but dealing with all this means my emotions are all over the place. The temptation to turn to that glass is overwhelming and I feel I'm fighting with the devil right now.

Having a couple of hours out with hubby tonight for a curry, looking forward to that. Will swim in the morning. Hope that picks me up.

Happy Thanksgiving......

Janicexxx
              AF since 9 May 2012
              Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Janice, talking about things, when we are "hanging by a thread," is one of the most important things we can do. In my opinion. This place is NOT just for people to show up and say how peachy-keen everything is. Sometimes, it isn't.

I hope you feel you can come around more and talk about whatever's going on.

I totally understand what it feels like to be going through parents' estate stuff.

wip

Comment

Well, made it to day 6 today. Even survived Thanksgiving with lots of red wine around and any other kind of booze you could want.

I have developed a cold and feel like my immune system is weak and feel like it should be the other way around, better. Maybe it is the toxins clearing from the system? Regardless, I will move forward with my plan of not drinking. Overall, I feel better without the wine.

I bought the book a year ago & lost it - without reading all of it - how long do you take all of the supplements? Kudzu/glutamine, etc? Just curious.

It was enjoyable to wake up today and remember everything I said and did while at the in-laws and to have NO GUILT or shame. Yeah!! Happy weekend to all....
                  "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Comment

Hi there everyone

It was lovely to read all your stories of Thanksgiving - those that celebrate it.

I'm still feeling a bit rough with my fluey cold but been at work today as normal (friday). My little boy seems to have come down with it tonight, has an awful cough.

My husband is away this weekend I have the kids on my own, but i'm occupying myself tonight making Christmas cards - card making was something I got into a few years ago but gave up in the last couple of years when I was drinking. It's great to get into it again and to have something to show for the evening other than a sore head and feeling of dehydration in the morning.

Janice - glad you're still hanging in there - it's not that easy for me at the moment either - now I dont' feel quite so rough, tonight would have been a night when I would have fancied a drink, but I pushed those thoughts of moderation to the back of my mind and stuck it out and now am so glad I have. I'm really starting to notice the benefits now after almost 3 months AF (apart from the few drinks I had on holiday I have been AF 1st Sept - 24th Oct and 3rd Nov - today), I've now lost I stone (14lbs) in weight since August, feel no longer bloated and my skin seems so good. I'm sleeping so well too - exept when the kids wake me in the night.!!

Have a great weekend everyone, will be in touch later xx

Comment

Hi all,

Scrumptuous dinners by the sounds of it. Any TG receipes you want to share, don't be shy!

I volunteered at a xmas fair today and had a really nice time making myself useful. Lots of coffee and few temptations.

I leave London in two days to return to my dad's house and his affairs. I'm trying to start making the mental adjustment; it feels like a parallel universe. I know I need to be there, to grieve, to get on with the practical stuff. There is no way to get to the other side except by going through this. But it sure feels like I've been hit by a truck, and whatever point of recovery I'd reached in September just seems like some faraway galaxy. Now it's all about baby steps and learning to walk all over again.

Janice - I totally hear what you're saying. You HANG IN THERE!! However tenuous that thread, you grab hold of it and rehearse in your mind all the things that have worked for you in the past.

And WIP, I'm nowhere near dealing with my dad's belongings as yet so I can only imagine how hard it is for you to go through your mother's stuff. Wishing you strength.

Sleep well everybody!

Comment

Whoa, it?s been a busy couple of days and we?re not done yet. I hope you all had a nice thanksgiving?if that?s in your repertoire, if not enjoy your weekend!!
                        My big family has descended upon my house and they?ll be here for a couple more days. YIKES!! I probably won?t check be in until Sunday or Monday.
                        I have enjoyed my time with them, it?s much simpler sober?.although they?re easier to tolerate the other way.
                        I went on a hilly 5 mile run with mega daughter. She challenged me and now I can hardly walk. No stairs for a few days.

Sausage, hope you and you?re crew feel better soon.
                        Pam, I will be thinking of you, I know it can't be easy.

Miss you all, will check in later, nat
                        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi Everyone: I loved T-giving, but it was exhausting having so many here 11 adults & 5 kids running around. Today got the house straightened up & feel back to normal. Plenty of leftovers in the fridge, so I won't have to cook for a few days. I'll be back tomorrow. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                          X