Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do drinking vacations mix?

:thanks:Hi gang,
    I'm going to have trouble staying current on our weekly post and we talk about so many different things that I'm going to start a new thread just to help me while I'm on vacation & stay connected to all of my cyber buddies.

Thanks for everyone's concern as for those of you didn't know we were headed to Thailand for vacation and had to divert our plans and we're now in Bali. We're in a luxury hotel (with beefed up security) with a fabulous happy hour with free drinks from 1700-1900 every night. And yes Zed...quality liquor, wine, EVERYTHING!

We had major jet lag last night so did not drink and we both feel great today. My past experience with vacations has always been drinking every day... and with the free drinks it's going to be even harder to not do that. Any suggestions, advice, stories to tell of your stories with vacations as it's always so easy to go down that drinking path!
    Hugs to all,
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Hi Eve:
    Great to hear from you and I'm glad you in a safe and comfortable environment.

I have found vacations difficult. I've had 3 vacations since I started modding and with each one I've done better. Since modding is a "learning experience" and vacations are very different than our day to day existence, its a learning experience to figure out vacation rules.

Whether we're aware or not, I believe we have many "old tapes" about vacation: "break the rules, unwind, let it go, etc. The very value of vacation is to get out of the routine and do something different, fun, enjoyable. I found that a stimulus to drink more. and my first vacation I drank more than I wanted to and thought I was a failure, and in retrospect, I learned a lot from that vacation that I applied to the next.

My first vacation was at my parents house in Florida where there was wine in the refrig . .. sort of like "free drinks". I set rules like: no drinking while cooking, but 2 glasses w/ dinner are OK. I didn't make my 4 AF nites that week, but I made 2, and I kept to 2-3 drinks max every nite except one.

SO I would say, it may make sense to expect you will "bend" your rules somewhat for vacation. I have had success getting it back together the following week. This is not a suggestion or invitation to "go all out" but to "adjust" to your vacation situation.

All to say: Eve: I have confidence that you will find some "middle ground" where you can enjoy yourself and have fun, but not "lose it" and have to start over when you come back. I really do think you are on the right path. . . take it one day at a time. . . be wise . .. have fun doing things non-alcohol related. . . and remember those "free drinks" include cranberry and seltzer, AF beer, etc. What a bargain that is to have AF choices for free and feel great the next day!

Best,

Ask

Comment

I think in general, happy hours or any situation with free booze are a big trigger for me.

What is your husband like?

The best way to assure you don't drink too much, in my experience, is to travel with someone who doesn't overdo it and who drinks very little. I had a whole holiday without incident that way. Does your hubby know of your goals?

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the input Ask.
        Thank you Nancy as well. Hubby knows my goals and is very supportive of me. Furthermore I am totally blessed that he does not have a drinking problem - drinks very moderately and most times not at all so it definitely helps my situation.
        Can't stay on long but wanted to send a quick thank you. Things are going good so far but the vacation has only begun ... ODAT!
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Eve,

I am glad to hear that you are safe!

I haven't had much real vacation time since I got alcohol under control. In a way, my summer was much like vacation because I was only working two days per week. I struggled with moderation and had some bad habits, especially thinking I could sit by myself on the patio and have just a glass or two. That simply is a bad idea for me. Ask and Nancy both have good suggestions. You are the queen of paying attention, so that will serve you well. I love Zed's rule: don't get unattractive. Find time to log in and record on Drink Tracker, or write down elsewhere what you do drink. Plan on a week or two of AF time after your vacation, to get it out of your system and regain control.

Take care, and tell us what works.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

And you could plan some very active days with early nights. You won't want to be hungover for a heavy day.

This free booze thing really can be a problem. Do you really need that? If you are at a luxury hotel, I imagine that you are not cash-strapped.

It's great that your hubby doesn't drink much. Follow everything he does and skip some of those free happy hours.

And check in here for moral support.

Comment

Hey Eve!

I resoundingly echo Nancy's words. Easier said that done. Vacations are tricky from the drinking aspect. All that free time... and the evenings... can be difficult to control. So maybe the trick is to avoid that happy hour... or make it a POINT to get there only 30 minutes before the end of it. SO you can get a free drink or two out of it. But not more.. so you don't feel as if you wasted the free rounds (which can be hard to deal with, let's face it!). Then after HH is over... you have the choice whether to stay and pay for 1 more round... or to leave. Or go upstairs and have that last drink as a nightcap... after taking a walk... and before bed. So that'll keep you to 3 drinks in the evening and you will be active... have not completely disregarded the HH (the guilt from that can be tough, we're all adults, so let's face it), and you paced yourself and got to bed with a nice little buzz, but at the reasonable hour so the next day is clear and lovely.

Cheers! Have a ball. Enjoy the sea!

Z

Comment

Eve,
                I was so relieved to hear that you are safe!
                I like everyone else's ideas they already gave you. The only thing else I would add is to make your non AL drinks look just as exotic or pretty as the AL ones. Like have them put the fruit or the little umbrella on the side. For me that makes a really big difference. It's just a little head trick for me.
                Have a blast and stay safe!

periwinkle
                Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

I'm seeing from Eve's Drink Tracker that she's going well... keeping things in control despite the Happy Hour deal!! GOOD FOR YOU Eve! z

Comment

hi eve i think with vacation,its not somthing you do all the time,the vacation,doesnt mean you have to get blitzed,you no now when you have had enuff, just stop,beleive me its a new balancing act,it takes work,just like stopping,think of the last results if you go over board,youll be fine, gyco hav a great time

Comment

Hey, girlfriend! I am thankful you are safe and glad you are having such a great time. ODAT is a great mantra for you on vacation.
                      How about OMAT (one moment at a time) when it comes to happy hour?
                      Breathe deeply and take each moment as they are given to you and decide if that sip/drink/nightcap is really what you want at that moment or are you filling a void, looking for a high, or simply taking advantage of a freebie that you really don't need?
                      Vacations can be real triggers. Keep your eye your vacation drinking goals and evaluate daily. Evaluate and then learn. Learn and grow. Grow and love yourself in the growing process.
                      God bless you.
                      St.J
                      Toughen up!

Comment

Hi Eve!

Hope you're enjoying a wonderful vacation. The very fact that you've elevated your drinking to conscious-status is half the battle. I think Ask made some excellent points - applies to holidays, too. A chance to "bend" but not "break" all the progress we've worked for. I'll look forward to hearing the high points when you return! In the meantime, have a marvelous time.

Vera-b

Comment

Working...
                        X