Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AF Daily - Monday December 1 - Let the Holiday Madness Begin (Without AL!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all. Greenie, I'm going to "mark" this thread again today. I guess I need a new avatar huh.

DG

I can't believe it's already December. 2008 sure has flown by fast! Special congratulations to Keeta and Sausage and Beatle and all other AFers who had some difficult cravings over the weekend and STILL CHOSE NOT TO DRINK!!!!! No hangovers. No guilt and remorse. No taking risks such as drunk driving. WIP had some great words of advice over the weekend too - about thinking through our triggers, and thinking about how we can handle them even more effectively next time. Lots of great posts over the weekend!

Keeta - you brought up a scenario yesterday that lots of us are facing with the upcoming holidays - activities ranging from baking cookies to trimming the tree that for years have equaled "DRINK!" for many of us - certainly for me. (this is my first sober holiday season since I was a teenager) In addition to keeping strong resolve about it, don't forget your supplements, and especially the L-Glutamine trick. For emergency strong cravings, open up the capsule and put the L-Glut directly under your tongue. L-Glutamine promotes stable, calm and alert brain function. (remember that - we will have a test later!)

Greenie - thanks for the link to Atlasquest.com. I read a bit there yesterday and actually registered. Who knows....

OMW - I'm glad your family visit is over - *I* got a rash just thinking about it and I DID NOT have to have family company all weekend! I wish I lived near you because I would love to get in on some Mutual Mooching of your brussel sprouts. I don't know enough people near here who garden to organize mutual mooching. Maybe through the CSA involvement I will meet more people and also learn more about gardening myself - I think that will be a good benefit of a CSA where I actually have to put in some work!

Hello to startingover and anyone else who enjoys reading these daily threads more than posting. Of course you are always welcome to post!! But if just reading is helpful to you, then that is cool too. In the words of Beatle, whatever works!

WIP I totally agree that the words and phrases we use in our heads can make a big difference. I've mentioned it here and there recently - but a BIG break through for me was truly reaching a point where I don't think drinking is fun and I don't think at ALL that I'm missing out on fun when others are drinking and I am not. This took a LOT of work inside my head on my phrasing of things, and mentally forcing myself to really think through the drinking experience to capture all the NOT fun stuff (i.e. the hangovers, the guilt, etc.) rather than allow AL to downplay the bad stuff, and overly glamorize a very small part of the drinking experience. I think it does start with catching ourselves thinking in the wrong terms - and re-training ourselves to think in other terms until it becomes habit.

Beatle, I bet you were glad yesterday to be unhung for your day out doing holiday stuff with your kids!

Deter - I did pass the garlic breath test last night, meaning yes, I had garlic breath. Chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, fresh lemon juice and GARLIC then baked. Greek style spinach to go with it. Yum. Boy you are not kidding about those empty calories in a bottle of booze. Not to mention sugar spikes and all that jazz. Poison!!

Hello to all who did not have a chance to check in recently, and anyone I missed, and all yet to come! Here's to a FABULOUS AF December! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

Maybe some of the folks who had an AF holiday season last year (or multiple years) can tell us who are on our first AF December all the good stuff about it! I would love to hear more about that.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Thanks for the inspiring post this am DG.

TG was a wonderful day but I must admit that the rest of the weekend was umhh, so so. I realize that I have become a creature of structure and habit now that I am AF. Well, 5 days with children out of school with a holiday mixed in just blows the structure away. And, all of my normal routines went down the pot.

Well, I learned some lessons to be applied over the next round of holidays. I'm going to keep up as much of my normal routine as possible and not get so down on myself when I am feeling like crap.

Thanks to all for your wisdom and inspiration. I am going to dust off my L-glut bottle and keep it at hand. I am also going to pay attention to what I am saying to myself about AL and my relationship with it.

Be Well,
    Mo3
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

Comment

Morning everyone
      Just another quick check in for me......I treasure my morning time before work (it's my MWO reading time), but it has temporarily been cut to a minimum. Eldest son broke his leg a few weeks back, and will be needing transportation to and from work for a while. So off I go!!
      Hope everyone has a great Monday.......
      sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I did last year's holiday season AF, & it was really wonderful...even New Year's Eve. I just took it one day at a time...one event at a time. When I get through the first few minutes AF, I'm fine. This coming Sun., we'll be going to a big family Christmas party. I know the wine will be flowing, but I'm not worried. There will be plenty of AF drinks, & that's what I'll concentrate on. I'll really get to enjoy the kids instead of obssessing about when & how to get my next drink.

In yesterday's thread, someone mentioned not using AL as a crutch any more. I never thought of it in quite that way: a crutch. I don't need a crutch. I don't need to view the world through an alcoholic filter. I can go through life clear.

I've got some things to do today but hope to be back later. If not, I'll be here tomorrow, as MWO is a very, very important part of my recovery.

Love, Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

G-morning!!

The ground is covered with snow and it cold; burrrr. I am happy to have everyone back to a normal schedule; that means I can use my computer any time I want.

Sausage, hubby gone and me on my own is a HUGE trigger for me too. I am glad you persevered.

DG, I hope you can find a good CSA in your area, they are well worth it. Don’t give up on growing your own veggies. Start small and use raised beds. Grow easy stuff like romaine lettuce, peppers, tomatoes cucumbers and zucchini. They are all very easy to start from seed and in our area; the pest problems with the mentioned are very few.

Momo3, I’m with you on the kids being out of school, it blows my focus.

Heya Charlee, your son is lucky to have you close!!

Mary, I too am looking forward to an AF holiday.

This week I plan on spending some me time and hone my plan for the holidays. For me, making it though AF will be a huge triumph. No plan to back peddle. I enjoy not being shackled to a bottle
          Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

DG, gonna make a doggy stamp?

I felt like a drink yesterday and simply found it annoying. Not tempting as I didn't dwell on it. I just recognized it and thought "Grrrr.... go away you feckin' gobshite! I don't have time for thoughts of your likes!" Of course I did keep this site open most the day whilst (I like that word too, did I spell it right?) I did other things just in case.

I must admit I cannot remember what I did for Christmas last year. I remember I decorated a bit but can't remember what I did on the actual day.This year I'm going to have a tree even if I end up going somewhere. Oh well, that was LAST year. THIS year I'll be doing the 6 months dance on my tippy toes slinging tinsel!
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Good morning, everyone. Seems as if I spent most of the day here on MWO yesterday... it was a strange day! So I need to get away from the computer screen and get stuff DONE, today...

I visited Mother yesterday, and it was one of the bad visits. She was more clear-minded than usual, and paradoxically, that makes it worse. She clearly knows where she is, and she knows that the other patients in the facility are worse off than she is (this is true), and she knows I could get her out of there if I wanted to. She begged me to take her home to let her live with me. It is absolutely wrenching, and usually I would have some booze out in the car to drink before and after these visits, to "medicate" myself... When I remember doing that (and it was not so long ago... only 4-5 months ago, when she was in a nursing home, and in 3 different hospitals...), I cannot imagine why I thought that was making things better. I had this screwy idea that it was a type of compensation for the pain. And yet it didn't work that way, at all... I really wasn't getting any enjoyment out of it.

Oh well. That's over, and this is dealing with reality, now, without alcohol. It hurts. But it hurts less than reality PLUS alcohol.

wip

Comment

Hello my friends!

What did I miss? I caught up a little last night, but not sure I'll have time to read everything.
                It was a long (10+) hours trip home in snow and wind, but we made it safe and sound. AND I'm happy to report, not one drop of AL or nicotine passed my lips. It was interesting and different watching everyone else. The best part is I didn't care to drink or smoke. It IS getting easier. I don't want to bore anyone with any details except that our trip got off to a real shaky start with hubby and I arguing and me crying. Turned out fine though.

Now I feel my stress levels rising as I prepare for Christmas. I've told myself and the kids there won't be as much this year, but then I start worrying.....

Sounds like most of you had a good holiday. WIP, it breaks my heart to hear you tell about your mother. I can't imagine what that must be like.

Well, I need to get busy. Lots of unpacking to do!

Have a great day all! :h
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Ohhhhh WIP......... I can empathize. I kept a never-ending bottle of scotch at my mother's apartment when she was dying of cancer with full mental clarity. When I was at Lenair, Rhonda asked me what happend 4 years ago. I said I was sole caretaker of my mother (except for hospice) and she died. Rhonda said I was more detached from it than I would have liked. Detached, yes- I drank my way through it. Going to the nursing home to visit my dad without Al was a big hurdle for me. I really do understand what you mean.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Good Morning All
                    Is it ok if I stop by here? I would like to really look at an AF holiday season this year. I am a lurker here and find you all very inspirational. Holidays are difficult for me- as they seem to be for lots of folks...
                    Thanks in advance
                    -Sheep

Comment

Glad you're here Sheep. You are right, this thread inspires me too.

nat
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Day 1 for me. I am more determined than ever to beat this beast, and this thread will be such a help. I really do feel this is last chance saloon for me, and the beast wont make the count of 10 this time.
                        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Wonderful!!! Sheep and Cy!!! Stick around, and let's have a good December, OK?

Comment

Hello all!

Thanks for a great start, DG. I'm looking forward to your new avatar =)

Sheepie and Cy-- good to see you. I've been MIA for a while, just found my way back here a couple days ago. Lurk or jump on in-- whatever feels right. This is a great place.

There's lots of optimism (along with the trepidation) going into the core hellidays here. I'm getting courage and confidence just from reading these posts.

Reteacher, you have been an inspiration since Day 1 for me (way back when), and still are. No more "crutch" mentality.

And WIP, you hit bull's-eye with the statement "(Reality) hurts. But it hurts less than reality PLUS alcohol."

BTW, I went into the holidays last year sober, and on the day before Christmas Eve (which is when Christmas is celebrated here in Scandinavia) we were scheduled to travel a couple hours to my husband's family's home and cook dinner for them. (They take care of Christmas dinner). I went out to do some last-minute shopping with my kids, bought a half-litre of vodka, and got dead drunk. I passed out and my husband had to call and cancel the whole thing. Ouch. Never again. I've got a much bigger toolbox this year (and I'm gonna use it!).

Just thought of another thing to help me along in this holiday season. I have a couple of good friends who are not drinkers at all (in fact, strangely, most of my close friends throughout my life have been non-drinkers). Anyway, they are all very social and seem to have a great time without alcohol. I am trying to observe them, or recall how they are in social situations, and hopefully to emulate them. How do they do it? I don't know, but I'm trying to learn from them.

Another thing to keep in mind: When you are AF, you get so much more done, so maybe the overwhelming feeling that there is just too much to do won't be so overwhelming...?

Ok, I'll take my leave with a joke:

Don't drink and park - accidents cause people.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

beatle, lol, nice joke

Comment

Working...
                              X