On Synchronicity, Light, and Ancient Toltec Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, this will be a bit long, so bear with me.

A couple weeks ago, I posted this in the Happy Birthday to us thread:

?I had a very important job interview yesterday lasting half a day with 8 interviewers (it's a great company too). In light of that, I had decided not to drink at all the two previous days. The night before the interview, I had an incredibly vivid dream. In it, there was a great ball of bright light. Two outstretched arms emerged, clenching light in their hands and a voice said to me, "Take this light and put it inside you." And from that point I was filled with this indescribable warmth. I don't remember having a better dream in recent years. ?

Actually, I do not think I have ever had a more powerfully spiritual dream ever in my life.

Now on to synchronicity.

A week later a good friend of my wife, who is very loving and spiritual, gave her a book saying, I know you are going through tough times at work, and I feel you are going through a lot of change in your life, and I just finished reading this and it helped me, maybe you would like it.?

My wife read it and told me I had to read it. The name of the book is, ?The Four Agreements, A Toltec Wisdom Book? by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Bear with me, it gets a little heavy and hard to follow here, but it?s the best part. The introduction to the book is called, ?The Smokey Mirror?

In summary, 3000 years ago there is a man living in a cave, studying to be a medicine man. He felt there must be more to know than he was being taught. One day sleeping in the cave, he dreamed of his own transformation from the moon and stars, and declared, ?I am made of light, I am made of stars.?

And then he realizes that everything that exists is one living being, the one we call God.

Then he concludes that human perception is light perceiving light. He also saw that matter is a mirror?everything is a mirror that reflects light and creates images of that light?and the world of illusion, the Dream is just like smoke which does not allow us to see who we really are.

This realization changed his life. His heart was filled with peace. The common people notice a beauty radiating from his eyes, and he no longer had judgment for anyone. They call him ?God.?

?It is true. I am God. But you are also God. We are the same you and I. We are images of Light.?

Wow. The first night I tried to read this intro and I got to the sentence about the dream ?I am made of light, I am made of stars.?

I practically threw the book down and could read no more until days later, as I found it so weird, it being so close to the feeling I felt in my own dream just one week earlier, yet it is an ancient spiritual myth some 3000 years old, handed to my wife from a friend because that friend felt she needed the book. This is synchronicity, Carl Jung?s (I?m well aware many call him a quack) idea of a meaningful coincidence that has a low probability of being a random or chance event. I have experienced synchronicity many, many times.

I have not finished the book, but thus far, it seems to be about the universal human condition, how we are taught in our youth have our own internal Judge and Victim, eternally battling one another. How we try to live our live pleasing others, but never truly can. That Hell is a condition of the mind. That we live in a fog of dreams (or brainwashed minds) that is not even real. And that unlike any other animal on planet earth, though we may make a mistake only once, we will punish ourselves a thousand times for it. The rest of the book is on how to be in the light, rather than in the darkness. Highly recommended.

Re: On Plato and Ancient Toltec Wisdom

Oh just wanted to add that this Toltec story is eerily similar to and reminded me of Plato's Allegory of the Cave, in many ways.
    Though separated by the span of half the globe, and more than 1000 years, the Greek vs Toltec cultures, and though philosophical and not religious, the stories both start in caves, and the ideas of light (good) and dark, dreams vs. reality, concepts of good, human desire, the visible and invisible, finding good in dreams, aspiring to something more, the universal human condition, are all there.

Many interesting parallels I think.

Just read Plato's own words:

"My dream as it appears to me is that in the region of the known the last thing to be seen and hardly seen is the idea of good, and that when seen it must needs point us to the conclusion that this is indeed the cause for all things of all that is right and beautiful, giving birth in the visible world to light, and the author of light and itself in the intelligible world being the authentic source of truth and reason... (517b-c)"

Compare that to the Toltec wise man realization 3000 years ago that, "The real us is pure love, pure light."

A good overview of Plato's Allegory of the Cave is here.
    (Been a long time since my college philosophy class

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pla...f_the_cave

Comment

Miguel Ruiz

Hi there Backpacker

I have just read all of the don Miguel Ruiz books
      The Four Agreements
      The Mastery of Love
      The Voice of Knowledge
      Beyond Fear

If TFA blew your mind .. just wait until you read the others..Beyond Fear did it for me.. his wife's story is amazing

Bubbysmum

Comment

Re: Miguel Ruiz

OK, now I have to read the books......
        Thanks.
        CB

Comment

Taoism

I appreciate and respect all religious traditions and have enjoyed the conversations here. For those of you who are interested in a Toaist approach I recommend a book called *The Tao of Sobriety*. It outlines a number of mental exercises which apply Eastern philosophy to help quiet the voices that may otherwise sabatoge our efforts to overcome addiction. I have found it invaluable.

~Peace

Comment

Re: Taoism

This is SO great. All these books to read. I love it. Now, if I only didn't PROCRASTINATE! I should copy these posts and put them on a word document so I can paste it on my frdige to remind me that I can read something to help me.
            THANKS!!!!

CB

Comment

Re: Taoism

Okay, gotta add my 2 cents--re the parallels between Toltec and Greek wisdom--Joseph Campbell studied the world's religions intensively for many years. He noted the parallels among the religions--religion iconic figure, testaments/proscribed rules/whatever, and I myself have just been amazed at the parallels between Native American spiritualism and pre-Christian beliefs in Europe (what little I know). Some of these people had absolutely no contact with each other.

Anyhow, not to get long-winded but Campbell's books are very interesting, and he was a skilled storyteller in getting his point across.

Hugs all
              Ter

Comment

Working...
              X