TD Jakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TD Jakes

I don't know how many people follow TD Jakes, but I've found myself in a position of needing help with controlling my thoughts...I sent an e-mail for a prayer request through his ministry, and I received in his message different Psalms and other quotes that hit home..

If I can have help controlling my spirit hopefully that will take care of the thoughts.....

I just wanted to share...

Brandy

TD Jakes

Brandy,

I don't know who TD Jakes is. Could you tell me?

Donna

Comment

TD Jakes

Hi Donna:

Baptist Minister..He also has a television ministry...I also listen to Creflo & Tappy Dollar, Paula White, Joyce Meyer and Joel Osteen ministries..

I'm tired of struggling with my own thoughts. I feel like if I allow myself to think DRINK..we know where that leads to. I had a hard time the week of easter. I had to attend classes and every night I came home I drank. Easter Sunday was it. I can't do this any more! I need to spiritually give this over to a "much higher power"...The worst part about Easter Sunday, was I felt great went to church, cooked a nice dinner and still ended up getting PLOWED..Then napped for a few hours and felt like s**t, couldn't even really enjoy the dinner I cooked.

Hugs,
      Brandy

Comment

TD Jakes

Brandy

I am sorry you had such a hard time of it on Easter and the week before! I sure know the feeling of "not being able to do this any more"! I was to that point six weeks ago and some how, and I honestly believe it was not by chance, I found this site.

I am glad that Td Jake's response helped you! What psalms did he share with you?

Donna

Comment

TD Jakes

Hi Donna;

I'm running this morn, but as soon as I get a chance, if you have an e-mail account I can forward the e-mail that was sent to me by TD Jakes ministry..

my e-mail is Brandy3962@hotmail.com

Hugs.
          Brandy

Comment

TD Jakes

TD Jakes

Hi, I've watched TD Jakes for some while now.....off and on.....He is inspirational..........Not real high church stuff but sometimes you just need somebody who is willing to be real and tell it like it is! Last Sunday he preached on "The Blood"............ Most of his sermon was just the words.."the blood"...........Like they say down here in the south..."There's Power in The Blood". What I need is power. MWO has helped more than anything I've tried..of course with the power of Jesus' blood! I have to lay down myself and my desires...everyday, and let someone larger have control. I've proved a thousand times that I can't do it by myself! This site has gotten me through this week with only a couple of drinks. I'm not perfect.but.I'm sooo much better than before. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Comment

TD Jakes

Hang in there. I too am from the south with decendants from Mississippi. I love the faith that there is power in the blood of Jesus. I am a Christian who strayed from the way I was going because of tragities (sp) In my life. The death of my son. I still love the Lord, and am confident that He will help me with my drinking problem with MYO. He is why I am here. God bless you, Eliziby

Comment

TD Jakes

TD Jakes

I am so sorry to hear about your son. I can't even begin to know how it would be to have one of my children die. The closest I've come to anything like that was when my youngest son was in Iraq in 2003 with USMC. He got back Sept of that year. For the first time in my life, I faced the possibility that I might not see him again. The Lord brought me to a place of brokeness over that fear and showed me that even if he didn't come home from Iraq alive, that I would see him again in our heavenly home. I can't explain it, I just knew that He had him , and me, in the palm of his hand (Isaiah 49:16)and there I found peace. May God give you that peace also.

Comment

TD Jakes

It was devistating, but I can't imagine worring about wheater or not a son or daughter will come home from war. My son was killed as a result of an auto accident. It was such a shock. Either situation should never happen to a parent. I too know that God is in control. I love this site. It lets me know that I am not the only Christian who chose drinking to relieve pain. Eliziby

Comment

TD Jakes

Have you gotten your cds yet? I've been doing MWO for about six weeks without the topa. I have found that the cds are very relaxing after I adjusted to the accent. The voice is kind and encouraging. I too wondered about it being hyponotic but it is very much the same thing Joyce Meyers talks about in "Battlefield of the Mind". It's the toughts we have programed in that need to change. Beth Moore also covers this by compareing it to tearing down old wall paper in our brain and putting up some new.

Comment

TD Jakes

Southernbelle47;

I listen to Joyce Meyer as well..I find alot of her teachings to be very appropriate, especially when it covers alot of topics and thinking patterns of women..

Comment

TD Jakes

TD Jakes

I have Joyce Meyers tapes on "Approval Addiction". My daughter bought them for me! LOL! Just something else I'm addicted to! The funny thing is.......I can't seem to please anyone...probably something my mother did to me! Ha! I do know that my Father (Heavenly)loves me with all my bumps and imperfections. It's the only thing that keeps me almost sane!
                        I love this site and the fact that we can be honest and not have to pretend to be perfect.

Comment

TD Jakes

Southern Belle;

I can so relate! If I lived nearby I would knock on your door and give you a great big Hug! You're words hit home for me..

Brandy

Comment

TD Jakes

TD Jakes

Hugs right back at you! My door is open! So is His! Our Dad loves us! I know that with all my heart! If you lived in the south you would be called "Sister Brandy" , so be it!!
                            Nancy

Comment

TD Jakes

Wow Brandy, Southernbelle and Elizaby...
                              I have checked out this particular spiritual thread but once right after it first started. I was hesitant to post. But after reading your posts, I too was encouraged to find that I am not the only Christian who struggles with alcohol. I used to put so much "added" guilt on myself... that as a Christian, this just should NOT be a factor in my life. It has also caused me to keep it very hidden from everyone.

I too really enjoy T.D. Jakes, Joyce Meyer, and actually did a Bible study two years ago with my church on that book "Battlefield of the Mind." It was one of the best books I ever read, and I actually starting doing really well during that time. However, in our small group discussions, I would never tell anyone what my "battle" was... I just said it was personal.

Beth Moore also has an excellent Bible study that I am thinking about doing again just own my own, and it is called "Breaking Free."

But the reason I came on this "spiritual thread" today, was because I wanted to share something that happened to me. I would not post it under General Discussion b/c I try to be sensitive that my belief in God may be offensive to others, so I felt this would be the best place.

Anyhow, we moved here to Florida back in August and one of the first things we did was try to find a church. For me, it is crucial. I was a part of a great church for years in NC, and my kids grew up in their youth group, etc. and it has been our lifeline. So we visited a different church every Sunday for probably eight weeks after moved. We finally settled on a non-denominational family church close to our home, which has been good. It was nothing like what we had experienced back home, but I felt we needed to settle somewhere, and it was very Bible-based. But it lacked a lot of things we were used too such as a thriving youth group, women's bible studies, etc. So we have been there since October.

Okay (sorry this is so long!), so anyway, for those who dont know, my oldest son graduated last year and stayed in NC to work for a year, so he still lives there. He still goes to the church we were a part of and plays guitar for the worship team and is very involved. Well, about a month ago I had this dream one night. I only remember a "blip" of the dream, but it seemed very real and when I woke up, I was thinking about it. But in my dream, our family was visiting a church that was in downtown by the river. (The St. Johns river flows through downtown Jacksonville). It was in an old building, and I remember just sitting and "observing" in my dream as I watched other people talk before the service started. I dont remember anything about the service in my dream, but all I remember is watching these two women in the row in front of me talking, and one was sharing with the other one how God had set her free from an addiction. The other lady was so excited for her and gave her a big hug. The lady who had the addiction was just crying and so happy, and said she had never felt so free. Anyway, that is ALL I remember about the dream, other than the fact, that I KNEW that the reason we had visited this church was because my son in North Carolina had told us about it. (Which doesnt make sense, b/c he doesnt live here, never has). So I just kind of dismissed it. Well the VERY next morning as I was standing in the bathroom putting on my makeup getting ready for church, my phone rang. I answered it and it was my son calling me from NC. He said, "MOM! You are NOT going to believe this, but I got invited by a friend of mine to visit this new church that is starting here in Charlotte. Right now b/c they dont have a building yet, they are meeting at Freedom Park downtown outside. He said that he hated to miss his church and had to find someone to cover for him playing the guitar, but that for some reason, he felt he was just supposed to go. So I was like.... "okay... that's great!" Then he goes, "No Mom... that's not what I wanted to tell you. What I wanted to tell you, is that I happened to be wearing a T-shirt that you had given me from a restaurant in Jacksonville, and this man walked up to me and asked if I was from Jacksonville. So I told him "no", but that my parents lived there. This man said, "Really? Because I am a pastor of a church in downtown Jacksonville, and I am the guest speaker today." He then proceeded to tell my son that he and about 20 members of his congregation had driven up to Charlotte to help encourage this new church get started. So this pastor asked my son where we lived, and my son said, "Well you know how spread out Jacksonville is... I'm sure you've probably never heard of their neighborhood, but it's called Julington Creek." The pastor just about fell over. He said that he lived in Julington Creek as well. Turns out, we live on the SAME STREET. So my son began asking him questions about the church, and the pastor told him that they meet at the City Rescue Mission downtown right by the river. The church is called "River City Church." He said that they have people from all walks of life that go there, because they have some people from the Rescue Mission attend who are breaking free of addictions, and they have wealthy people, and everything inbetween. He gave my son his card, and told him to please have us call him and come visit the church.

SOOOOO, several weeks went by, and due to Easter and being out of town, we had not visited yet. Well last night, my daughter and I went. (hubby's out of town). Well they had a guest minister in for two weeks from the UK, and he has a ministry for people who have had broken hearts in the past, and as a result had wound up with addictions of any nature. He spent most of the service talking about all the ways that we get our hearts broken... through divorce, deaths, abuse, trauma, things people say to wound our hearts, etc. He said that almost all addictions can be traced back to a particular event or season of one's life that was extremely painful and seemingly unbearable. The whole service I am just wiping tears. My daughter started crying and we were just both a mess with mascara running down our faces! So at the end of the service, he said there would be a special time of ministry at the end if anyone wanted to come up for prayer. He said that broken hearts and addictions will keep us from ever coming into the fullest plan that God has for our lives, and that the Enemy wants to keep us in bondage to our broken hearts and addictions. So I looked at my daughter, and she just smiled at me and said "you can go up if you want." So I went up and got in line. WHILE I was standing in line, the minister after praying for a few people said that he felt like there was at least one person in the room, maybe more, who felt like they were just trapped in a cage. That they could see the key to unlock it, but it was just too far out of reach, and that they had all but given up hope of ever being set free. He said, "If that's you.... God wants to set you free tonight!" So when he got to me, I told him that I could definitely relate to feeling like I was trapped in a cage and would never be free again. He asked me when my addiction started, and I told him when my husband left me with two small children when I was 24. I told him I was happily remarried to a wonderful Christian man, and that was 12 years ago, but that I had never been able to break the addiction. He told me it was because I had never allowed God to fully heal my heart. He told me God wanted me to see myself for who I was in Christ, not for the labels I carry of being through a divorce, what my children have been through, the guilt, etc.

So anyway, if you ask me if I believe in miracles, I would have to say YES. I am still just in shock that I had that dream... the next morning my son meets a pastor from MY city up in NC...I wind up there of ALL nights for this special ministry.. it is just a total God-thing. So on the way home last night, I was still crying. As I was on the bridge crossing over the river to head back home I was looking at the skyline of the downtown and the river is just beautiful. I was just thanking God for His goodness, and I felt he really spoke to me. What I felt I heard him whisper to me in my spirit, was that the woman I had seen in the dream who was so full of joy because she was free of her addiction was me.

I hope I did not make this to long... but I just had to share this with somebody!

Allie

Comment

Working...
                              X