My Faith and MyWayOut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Faith and MyWayOut

I was raised in a small congregation intolerant of drinking for any reason. As an adult, I'm a faithful member of the same denomination, different church. My faith has brought me through many trying times in my life, one of them being the death of my 25 year old son as a result of a car wreck. I had previously enjoyed the relaxation from wine at social occasions and made the mistake of turning to wine for help with relief from my grief, but I never stopped crying out to God for help. I knew He was going through my pain with me. My grief lasted two and a half years and my wine drinking was getting out of my controll. My son would have been 50 years old October of last year and I have continued my daily wine consumption. I have kept it a secret from everyone, (family, friends, & church family) except my husband who has stood by me and promised not to reveal my secret and hoping I would eventually get help somewhere. I am a functioning alcholic. I have tried several times, without success, to quit on my own and I felt full of guilt and like such a failurewhen it didn't work. AA wasn't a consideration because my secret wouldn't be a secret any more. I read my Bible regularly and have been convicted that what I was doing to myself was wrong. Recently I've been getting messages that if I don't stop my health will be affected. I'm seeing signs of that now. I drink daily, and I drink a lot. I have been praying for a miracle from God for healing from my drinking, and I think that MyWayOut just might be that miracle. The very day that by accident, I stumbled onto the program, I had cried out to God for something that would work. I believe this is where He is leading me.

Because of our faith, I think this forum should be used for us to share with each other, to support one another, pray believing for one another that we will be delivered from our addiction. I don't think we should use it to promote or discuss personal doctorine. God bless us all on our journey. Eliziby

My Faith and MyWayOut

Your story is my story, and that of several of us. I'm active in a congregation that is strictly non-alcohol tolerant...I too choose to think that this is the help sent by God that has come in time.

I don't have a grief event like yours, although there are things in my life I am mourning.

I've been kind of standing still lately, just maintaining and holding on....and while driving to work the other day, I heard a still voice in my head that said...You take your pills, and that's good...you go to church...and that's good...but I miss talking to you.......

The lesson the night before had been on the faithfulness of God as a friend...

Hugs to you and welcome to MWO.

Comment

My Faith and MyWayOut

Thanks Kate, I'll do that,and thanks to both of you for responding with encouragemet.I was really scared to take this step, I guess because of fear of not suceeding again, but now I feel more sure than ever that I am doing the right thing. What do you think about using the CD's? I have never been a fan of hypnosis. I guess if it works I should be ok with it. I have ordered the book and CD duo but don't have them yet. I said a prayer for both of you this AM. Please keep in touch with me. I'm going to need all the support I can get. We'll hang in there together and encourage each other. God Bless you, Eliziby

Comment

My Faith and MyWayOut

Re: My Faith

Dearest Elizaby,
        I have not been posting in awhile as I have been moving which has taken all my energy but wanted to let you know how touched - and inspired I was by your story. I recently found out that two friends of mine from my early twenties, who had been instrumental in encouraging me to go to art school, and whom I had lost touch with for many years, had both died some time ago. There was a retrospective exhibition announced in the paper for one of my friends; he had died around Thanksgiving, 2004. I attended the exhibition and found out that his friend, whom I had been particularly close to, had died several years earlier, of a heart attack at an incredibly young age, upon hearing the news that Ron had a brain tumor. It's been a rough few months for me, but as a teacher, when we finally end in June, I hope to be able to put forth my effort to work all aspects of this program. In moving, I don't even know in which box my hypno CDs are packed,
        let alone having the time to use them. Hang in there, my computer is really messing up tonight.

Adria

Comment

My Faith and MyWayOut

Adria, thanks for responding to my post. I am just beginning in the program myself. I have to see my Dr. on Friday and hopfully get a prescription for Topa. I have such a problem opening up to anyone, one on one, even my Dr. I am embarrassed at how much I drink. I haven't always been truthful with him because he would tell me to stop and I wasn't ready. He did help me once with an Rx for Naltrexone which I needed after participating in a university study on treatment for alcholism. I did ok as long as I was going twice a week, but when they were through with me and I was on my own I was to continue with the Nal. I discovered one thing about myself through that study, I need support along with the other stuff if I'm ever going to quit. It lasted about 2 mos. and I was back at it. That's why I'm here.
          Death is never an easy fact of life, but it crosses the path of every living person, and sometimes the way we choose to deal with it, isn't good. It's especially tough when it's someone you love. Take care moving, and come on back and join us. Hugs, E

Comment

My Faith and MyWayOut

Hello,
            I read from RJ that it may be a good idea to talk about our faith and that she was going to start a new thread. I do not wish to make waves in this arena at all but my original comment was that perhaps we may get in to debates about religion. I understand that a lot of the MWO members know who God is. I wonder if anyone here knows who are Allah, or Budha, or Centeotl, Sita-Rama, or Yahweh, or Elohim, or Isis or even Nike (the running shoe). Nike is the Greek goddess of Victory. There is some history to this and many others. It is important that we are not blind by our personal beliefs.

I understand what faith is and I know personally about the power of prayer. I was baptised Catholic and raised as a High Anglican for what that's worth. It confused the heck out of me as a child. I now believe that there is an omnipotent energy. I know that just to ask does not always get the results. How many times have I tried to make a deal with God praying that I promise to quit drinking if He please let me feel better now. I don't know what God looks like, or feels like. I believe that if we lead our lives in an honest and ernest manner, that we will have no regrets. Now, this could be the guilty quality of Catholicism. I don't know. I believe that there is a power and it has many forms and many names but I do not believe that we are able to capture, hold, have, control or otherwise get favours from this power, no matter what we do. I think that if we do not go against the natural flow of life then our lives will be without obstacles. I think that this ominpotent energy is the same energy no matter what religion or what name we give it.
            CB

Comment

Working...
            X