Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December Abbercise

Hi All
    I figured the reason we didn't start the Dec.tread is because we are all to tired from our workouts. Right! I have come down with the flu so it does have me dragging.I played the first round of singles in the tennis tournament today .It went well but I really felt drained and exhausted from the bug.I thought maybe getting on the court I would get a lift which does happen at times but not today.Will rest tonight have a second round match at 9 am tomorrow.It is against the # 4 seed don't expect to do that well but if I can play up to my potential I will be happy .The bottom line is that I am getting my exercise and having fun.Hope all is well with everyone .

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

December Abbercise

Good on you Caysea for starting this. I haven't been around much over the last couple of weeks - lots of travelling, plus trying to get lots of stuff done before the end of the year and summer break.

Being summer I'm finding it easier to get to the gym and the pool and not missing my wines at all!! Been to the gym every day this week and feel like I'm seeing lots of progress, which is really nice. Planning my entry into some events in January and February which is keeping me really motivated, and over the weekend I'm going to sit down and work out a training schedule. I've decided that 2009 is going to be my year for adopting some B-HAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals), and I feel like some of my behaviour changes are cemented in enough that there is nothing really to stop me achieving them!

This Saturday is Global Day of Climate Action, and I'm going to be taking part in a "Frocks on Bikes" thing, which will be 350 women cycling through our city!!!! (350 is because that is apparently how many parts per million of CO2 is safe) Should be lots of fun!!!
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi, Thought I would join in on this thread. Exercise is the cornerstone of my sobriety, but winter always makes it harder because it's dark and cold early in the morning. Anyhow, got my run in this morning. Tomorrow is bootcamp. I am training for a half marathon in March and I will get my long run in on Saturday. The goals really help me to get my bottom out of bed.
      Mo3
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

December Abbercise

Thanks, Caysea, and hi to Mame and MO3! I've been steadily ramping up my small bits of daily cardio, today did 25 minutes jog/walk on the treadmill, I am VERY VERY slow, and prone to having my knees swell up when I "run" (well once upon a time it was closer to running), but I thought it would be worth a try, since I've got a treadmill in the basement.

MO3 tell us more about how this "bootcamp" works?

Exercise is a big part of my sobriety, too, even though I get lazy from time to time and take a month or so off. Once I get rolling back into the routine again, it feels GREAT. And, the research tells us that if regular exercise could be bottled, it would be considered a revolutionary miracle drug.... solidly proven to be highly effective for a wide variety of conditions...

Take care, all! And, for those who haven't gotten into it, or back into it, yet: remember that a 10 minute walk is MUCH better than nothing!

wip

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi all,

I like the idea of setting a goal to work towards. I think I'll try that... just need to find a goal! I'm still slogging away at the gym and still enjoying it but not quite as manic about it as I was when I started in the summer. A goal might give me a kickstart for those dark winter mornings.

The gym I go to has window displays that change regularly about the various facilities available or health issues etc. This week? Two huge (15ft high) posters of a glass of wine and a pint of beer. It's supposed to be a reminder to people to stay within safe drinking limits... but it's a bit in yer face for this alkie gym rat!
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

December Abbercise

Hey WIP,

The bootcamp I belong to is a 5 day per week program that meets outdoors near my home from 5:45 to 6:45 am. It is run by a great guy who is a former marine. The program consists of cardio, running, calisthenics, and weight training with light weights.

There is a core group of about 20 of us who attend regularly. I really enjoy the camraderie and motivation. There are a few bootcamps offered in my vicinity (I live in a major metropolitan area). I don't know where you live but I think they are pretty popular across the country.

I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams!!
            Mo3
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

thanks Cay, was meaning to do it.....couldn't get my bum off the tread mill.:H

Nice crew this month already!!
              Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

December Abbercise

No exercise for me yet in December

Feel really guilty - haven't done anything for a week, but still have the ends of a fluey cold which started last week (rest of family has had it since too!) and have had conjunctivitis in both eyes this week so haven' t even been swimming!! Really hoping to do something this weekend, will keep you all posted!

Comment

December Abbercise

thanks for the motivation Caysea and the rest of the sunshine band....

(oh man that was bad)

I have a bad habit of going several days with zero exercise and then working out super hard. then repeating the process.

with MWO as my witness I WILL exercise when I'm traveling! most hotels have treadmills and even some squats and flooer exercises in the room would be a far cry better than nothing.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

December Abbercise

Det, I used to travel alot and I fully understand how difficult it is to eat well and to exercise consistently when you're on the road. I don't know what your travel arrangements are like, but one of the things I used to try to do was to get a rental car so I could (a) Go to a grocery store and stock up on fruit, veggies, water, etc. and (b) find a gym that was nearby so I could work out at. I used to look for Golds gyms because they were consistent...very clean, great equipment, and great classes. Anyhow, it would cost me about 10 or 15 bucks for per day (less if I was there for a week), but so worth it. The hotel gyms usually really stink.
                    AF Since April 20, 2008
                    4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi everyone. The November thread got away from me before I got in a posting groove, but I'm here for December! I've been continuing my Curves groove and even got 6 workouts in Thanksgiving week which was cool considering that my Curves was officially closed for 4 days! Worked out the morning of Thanksgiving with one of the owners, and found out that another Curves in town was open Friday and Saturday. WOO HOO.

Anyway...I'm starting to feel envy when reading about things like boot camps and tennis matches. So I definitely think there will be something new for me once spring rolls around. Not sure what yet...but it will come.

MARSHY!!!!!! So good to see you!!!! And MAME!!!! You "sound" like there is summer in your voice. We will be counting on your to help remind us that winter doesn't last forever!

Caysea thanks for getting us started! :b&d: You are perfect in the role of drill sargeant. I hope you get feeling better soon.

OK Deter we're going to hold you to your promise of exercise moderation with no binges. OK?

Sausage I hope you are feeling better soon.

Good to see you Momo'3 and Boot Camp Star!

Hi OMW!

WIP you've got the stealth exercise plan going on I think. You always sort of low key it from the sound of things, but you'll probably sneak in and kick our ever lovin' butts one day!

My goal for the remainder of December is to work out at Curves every day they are open. The only extra closes except for Sundays when they are always closed are Christmas Day and then New Years Day, but that's January. A couple of early closings but that should be no problem as I work out in the AM's anyway. Everything is on track so far!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

December Abbercise

It's a beautiful frosty, sunny morning here. Haven't made it to the gym for a couple of days because of work (that's my excuse anyway) but I'm now off for a six-mile countryside yomp with friends. Have to get a train to get to the countryside first!
                        Good to see you too, DG!
                        sigpic

Comment

December Abbercise

Enjoy your 6 mile "yomp" (what's that??) with your friends Marshy!

Today is my day off from exercise and I did complete 6 days of workouts this week. BUT....I do not feel that I really pushed in the way I like. (and the computer stats reflect that) I allowed myself to get involved in some chatting on the circuit and that is death to my workout. So my goals for the coming week include no circuit chat, and really pushing so I get the most out of the time I spend exercising.

How 'bout you all?????? :b&d: :sofa:

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

December Abbercise

Oh yes Marshy, do tell what a yomp is. I am intrigued.

DG: good for you for recognizing that you want to get the most of your workout. I often tell myself, "you only have an hour to do this, so make the most of it."

I workout outdoors and this week it is going to be extremely cold in the morning. My challenge will be to get out of bed. I can handle the cold, but the wind....brrrrr!

Mo3
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

Yomping? I didn't realise it was a peculiar English expression. Haha. It's an army word for walking up and down hills with a heavy backpack while training I think. Not that we were walking up and down hills or had heavy backpacks or have any military connections...
                              Anyway, had a good YOMP through a muddy forest. Exhausting!

I meant to go to the gym today as I'm not working but haven't been able to summon up the motivation. I joined the gym at the end of August, and went most days in Sept, Oct and Nov. But so far this month I've hit a bit of a get-up-and-go glitch.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X