Friday July 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday July 21

Hello? ... Is this thing on? So this is the new Absville eh? Ok well I haven't had a chance to settle in here. So I feel all insecure... But it looks like it's going to be fun here. Where'd you guys get the images? Oh well, I'll figure it out tomorrow. Um... Thanks RJ!

Happy July 21 Absters!!

Lori, good for you getting right back on track, or rather going after the info that will help you stay on track. Hang in there, and keep us posted. :l

Nancy, is that your dog? Is that the famous Belle!?? What a beauty!!

Kris, I think you have to register as a new member. I tried to "sign in" as dreaming06, but our username won't be recognized until we register here. It was easy though.

It's weird, I really feel like we've really moved and now I have to go unpack my bags or something... So farewell for now. Wish this wasn't so blah...

Have a beautiful day everyone!
    Deirdre
    :h

No one ever won a chess game by betting on each move. Sometimes you have to move backward to get a step forward.

Amar Gopal Bose

Friday July 21

Good Morning Absville!

Just a quick hello---helloooo!!

I THINK I like this...can't wait to find out what we can do here. It feels like we're "moving on up!" (Now THAT dates me...)

Has anyone figured out how to get a custom avatar yet?

Later, all--

susan
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Friday July 21

Morning absville...still having fun? Be careful with the move! Dierdre, you can select an avatar by clicking User CP at the top, then use the Avatar selection. I'm sure you can also create your own avatar by clicking on an image. I believe that's what the Kanga did.

Anyway, happy friday all. I'm knee deep in legal stuff and I'm moving from one group to another at work, which can be a really positive thing, so I'll work on that!:w

Comment

Friday July 21

Good Morning in Absville!

I'm just glad that I found an avatar that I liked a lot! Wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to import one!!

Anyway, I'm sure that figuring out how to use this darn site will keep my mind off alcohol for the next day or so at least!! Got home late from work last night and was up til 1 am chatting, reading, and just tinkering around with stuff. Whew, way past my bedtime! Only thought about drinking BEFORE I got home and had something to eat.

At any rate, I hope you all have a great day! I've got a busy one in front of me! Wish me all luck. My first Friday abs. A little scary. Weekend time. This afternoon is definitely time for more exercise and hypno!!

Hugs to all!
        Kathy
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Friday July 21

Friday, July 21.

Morning all,
          All is well. Landed a fab deal yesterday and oh, I must confess, did toast myself with a glass of wine with the hubby. Having the wine was not that impressive in the end. We are so very much guided by tradition and habits. Should have had Perrier in my best crystal, would have probably felt the same. Ah well.
          I will forgive myself and am counting 19 days since I started.
          You all have a wonderful day. I just love this new setup. It is so sophysticated - ha. We are getting spoiled.
          This site will actually let me into chat and knows my name.
          (((((((((hugs)))))))))))
          Lori
          *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Friday July 21

Hi Everybody,
            just posted but it is gone!!!! must have done something wrong! Did drink tonight but not that much! 3 glasses and I know it's not the abs thing but I WILL GET THERE!
            Shas
            Shas
            Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Friday July 21

Hi All,

Made the move OK. This new site is slick!

I figured out where my blues this week came from. I went to a therapist on Tuesday and opened up about my terribly hard childhood. Clearly, that on top of quitting smoking and drinking is simply too much for this simple fella to handle all at once. Like Bill Murray said in that great movie-What about Bob- "Baby steps." I've got to remind myself to take it easy, take good care of myself and don't try to do everything all at once. That goes for all of us!

Love to all!
              Matt

Comment

Friday July 21

Checking In

I was really bummed that I couldn't get on last night and that my long post from earlier in the day was lost. Guess progress has costs, but it would have been nice to have a warning of when the site would change and what we would have to do. I would like to say I have remained abs, but last night was a problem.

This is a difficult weekend for me. We have 8 out of town guests (including a 2 and 5 year old) who will be here until Monday or Tuesday for a family wedding and a graveside memorial service. I am use to kids with better manners - these two and their brain dead mother are driving me nuts (she forgot to bring the 2 year old's clothes). Even our normally child friendly Persian cat has already snapped and taken swings at them. My daughter and her family just left for a trip, so she isn't around to deflect some of the craziness. Oh well, it is only a few days, I need to hang on to that.

I posted a few days ago that while people were here my plan was to avoid waiting on everyone and get them to help out. Now I realize that my focusing on cooking, cleaning and order is a way of withdrawing and trying to cope. But only a few days...

I got the Diet Cure book CV posted about and, while it isn't simple at all, I think it is full of good advice. CV, we are all treating you as our personal consultants, let us know if that is a burden, but if you are willing, once I have digested more of the program, I would welcome some advice from you on the supps I put together. It sounds like it will be just a tweak of the MWY recommendations and the addition of a healthy diet.

This is a long post for me - I am trying to take your advice and participate more (and I am not sure if I will be able to get on-line with everyone here later. If (no ONCE) I survive this weekend we will be leaving 8/1 for a vacation. While it will have its own challenges, sounds good. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Comment

Friday July 21

Friday

Hi Kris,

I've changed my diet pretty completely following suggestions from CV and simple common sense. If the book is overwhelming here is what has been working wonders for me. If your guests are too much excuse yourself often for nice relaxing walks.

Temporarily cut out all sugar (very helpful!)

Eat complex carbs, whole grains, etc. (avoid white bread, processed junk)

Gorge yourself on wonderful fresh fruit. All you want, as much as you want! Cherries and blueberries rule!

Eat lots of nuts. I love pistachios and macadamias!

Get some sugar free chocolates and candies for well deserved treats (They even have sugar free Reeses pieces and Nestle bars at the supermarket!)

My fresh fruit, yogurt and All One frozen smoothies have become an every morning wonderful ritual!

If anyone is looking for a great book for pure distraction and enjoyment I just read Plainsong and loved it!

Hope that's helpful

Matt

Comment

Friday July 21

Friday

Hi everybody,

I love our new spot!! Makes me feel all excited , like we really did move!

Kathy....is that you in that picture?? You look marvelous darling!

Kris...when my "cup overfloweth" with company....sometimes I excuse myself to my bathroom where I sit at my vanity and just "be still" for a few minutes. Usually the mom or dad of the rugrats figure out something to do with them and things calm dowm while I take a break. I guess its sorta timeout in reverse!

Dee...I wish I COULD figure out how to get Belle's picture on here. I think there is a way but will have to have a couple of hours of quiet to find it! I do love the yellow Lab is the picture, though...don't tell Belle I said that! Belle is a mostly black with a white neck ring and white paws Staffordshire bull terrior. She's the kinder, sweeter version of a American Pitbull. They actually call her a "Nanny" dog because she will let kids crawl all over her and ride her back and generally do anything they want to .

Found another good quote:
                    "History despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, however, if faced with courage, need not be lived again".
                    Maya Angelou

I pray courage and whatever else it takes for each of you today and all days to get the Joy back in your
                    lives.

Another good day on the funny farm by way of Absville!

Nancy & Belle:l
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Friday July 21

what is this icon?

Hi everyone, I like it here!
                      Oh Kris, I feel for you. Guest are so hard for me too. I like for them fo come and I like for them to leave. My former in-laws would have a habit of dropping in and not letting us know they were coming. And then the worst part is they wouldnt tell us when they were leaving either. It was aweful. They would drive up in their motor home and just plug into our house with a big extension cord. I felt like Christmas with the Grizwalds! And then they would bring their dogs. With slobberie drool hanging all the time. And they would want to let them in our house. And sit by our kitchen table while we were eating. If I ever said anything I was mimicked to the dogs about how I didnt like them being here. I love dogs. But I hated the way I was forced to deal with that. My kitties would be so scared. And my own dog would pretty much get the blame for everything that went wrong. Like I didnt teach HIM any manners. Finally when I spoke up and asked if they could get a dog sitter they hadnt come back since. Through the grape vine I heard how I told them how they werent Clean enough to stay here. HA! Oh well...divorced now.....what a shame!

And Matt....I wont even get started on the therapy and family of orgin stuff. Thats hard stuff to go back and explore. I do think important.....but hard. Keep at it on your own pace if ya can. And the quitting smoking....I think....maybe not sure but I think...looking back for me I wanna say that was harder than quittin my beer. Course I didnt have topa for that and just did it cold turkey. Well...I did that nicorett gum. I do think that helped. But that was a B***H. Boy....I dont know how you are doin both at the same time. TONS of credit I give you friend.

Shas, I wonder whats makin you lose your posts. It was happin to me to but hasnt happened for a while. I wondered if it was cuz I wasnt logged in. But I think I was just tryin to have an answer.

Susan, I'm glad you are feelin better. Do ya know why you were feelin bad in the first place yet. If ya figure it out tell me. Cuz now I feel dumpy and I cant really put my finger on it. I THINK its what I told you. That the layers are liften from gettin more and more alcohol free. I think some of the feelings that I was stuffin with the beer are re-surfacin. So I think I know what some of it is. The now stuff would be the kids. Just the non stop stress. And a lot of old stuff too. Unfortunatly,its on the man subject so I'll pass on my thoughts.

Well.....rambled for to long. Good News! Day 45 and still AF. Love ya all..... gabby
                      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Friday July 21

Gabby,

Thanks for the good words and support. If I had the seen the "hey it's kool-aid" guy I would have grabbed it first. Love it!

laying off the family stuff for a while. I do think quitting alc and nicotine is enough for a mortal at any one time.

matt

The blue guy is pretty funky. You guys likie?

Comment

Friday July 21

Always happy to help

Hey Matt, thanks for jumping in with the good advice and glad you're taking it easy on yourself. We certainly didn't get here overnight and we won't find our end overnight either!

Anyone that ever wants my input, please feel free to ask. You know that I certainly do when I get overwhelmed...which I do a lot..I just don't share a lot...which can be a problem! But anyway, everything is going okay here, getting over a bit of the blues/empties myself so I've been hibernating a bit. Sometimes, I'm like this odd pendulum that goes back and forth and back again, so the balance it the best. I don't feel like being the little guinea going endlessly, madly on the wheel

Happy Friday all!

Comment

Friday July 21

Hi Everyone,
                            Made It!!! Got a bit lost there for a while on the new site. It's a bit scary isn't it.
                            Definately got to get myself one of the cool picture thingy's (when I figure out how to do it!)
                            Just a quick drop in to say hi to everyone in absville.
                            Will check in again later when I have more time to surf around the nes site and settle in a bit.
                            GS

Comment

Friday July 21

need to be here more

I have been around the boards for awhile and I tend to not be very regular in my visits. I am making a point to stop in daily. I need the advice and support--this really is a great group of people. Glad that now there is a long term abs area as well.

Matt I am with ya on the whole not putting that poison in my body ever again. I read a book by Allen Carr and he really ruined any benefits that I thought I got from alcohol. He literally took my imagined "fun" and ruined it for me--wish his book would have come into my hands about 15 years ago.

I will be attempting to quit smoking on Tuesday. I will use the patch, which I have used in the past with some success. Guess I just feel like if I stopped putting alcohol in my body it only makes sense to stop smoking as well-get rid of all the garbage.

Hope everyone has a great night!

Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X