The Heart of Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Heart of Addiction

I just started this book but it has pulled me in much better than other books I have read on addiction. The basic premise is that those of us who use addictive substances use it for emotional well being. Often we drink/drug because we feel that we do not have control over something in our lives. It may be too simplistic but then again, it may not be.

He is proposing that the key to dealing with the addictive behavior is to figure out what situations cause us to feel out of control and find non-addictive ways to deal with them.

I am only on Chap 2 but thought I would share.

The author is Lance Dodes, M.D. He is an addiction therapist.

Has anyone else read this book?

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

The Heart of Addiction

Thanks Cindi- I have not read it, but am going to sprint over to Amazon right now!

The theory behind it certainly rings a bell with me.

Comment

The Heart of Addiction

looks really interesting but I already have so many books!
      See the author's website Lance M. Dodes, M.D. - Welcome for some info.

Comment

The Heart of Addiction

I am about halfway through the book, but not to the tips and techniques to overcome the addictive behavior yet. Still enjoying it thoroughly.

Love,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The Heart of Addiction

Thank You.

Am making a note for I await the brilliance that separates myself and the rest of my kind from nothing making a difference yet.

Appreciate.
          :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

The Heart of Addiction

Thanks, Cindi, I've added it to my list. I haven't read it yet. It makes sense to me. The last time I almost gave in to temptation to get drunk was about a week ago. Our family was out to dinner and, as we were leaving, I saw my husband check out a 16 or 17-year-old's booty. I mean, he was pretty shameless about it. I INSTANTLY went into the feeling helpless mode, I'm 47 and no competition for a 17-year-old. I had no control over what he did. I even went into a store to get a BIG bottle of wine but didn't. It was close, though.

I didn't get drunk, thought it through. But I believe in this theory completely.

Thanks again,
            Be
            "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

The Heart of Addiction

Thanks for the suggestion Cindy.
              I bought it and it's one of the most thought-provoking books I have read on the subject.

Is Work in Progress still here or lurking? I would be interested to get feedback on his theories about physical versus psychological addiction.

Comment

Working...
              X