Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, July 22

GOOD MORNING, ABSVILLE!

Co-pilot here--giving our intrepid Deirdre some much deserved extra sleep...and THANK YOU, Deirdre, for all your hard work this week!

(Hmmm...lost most of my post just now...totally frustrating!)

Saturday morning here and I'm still a bit bleary-eyed--but from sleep not from bottles of wine ( even better, I'm not trying to figure out how I can have a few quick nips before I actually start the day)--and that's a blessing in and of itself!

I also realized this morning that I too often expect there to be some sort of FIREWORKS going on--I can be all about the DRAMA! But life is mostly not fireworks--it's simply one moment after another, one foot in front of the other--sometimes running and leaping about and sometimes just plodding through it. For me, this week was about plodding...but here it is, Saturday, and I'm feeling unaccountably better--despite being stuck in the city because of the weather! Lesson: sometimes ya just gotta PLOD ON!

And the weekend brings with it it's own special challenges as we try to deal with family stuff, houseguests, trying to get healthy, unstructured time etc....but whether we're leaping through it or just plodding, let's be gentle with ourselves and stay close--we may not quite know where we are, but we're certainly NOT LOST! :l

Starting to meander here...hopefully, I'll be a little more focussed later on--right now, it's time to take some deep breaths, have another cup of coffee and make a list of what I hope to get done--including just looking out the window!

I'll check in later--
    :h
    susan

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
    Andre Gide
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Saturday, July 22

Good morning Susan and all Abers.

Sorry to hear your stuck in the city Susan. I know the cabin time must be refreshing for you. I do miss the big city down here sometimes. I know what you mean about "fireworks". Love that too!!

I spent a couple of hours visiting a precious 80+ year old lady yesterday. She lives alone as her husband has been gone 20 years and her only child , a son, was killed in a car wreck 35 years ago. Her house and yard was spotless!

She is such an breath of fresh air. She is interested in everybody else and while she will mention her past pain and grief, would rather hear about others. Wow.....I've been thinking about why I enjoyed being with her and some folks I can just tolerate....barely!!
    She has started "writing names and dates on her photos" , so that when she is gone, others will know who they are. She is also sharing some of her "stuff" so that she can experience the joy of giving while she is alive... What a beautiful lady and a role model for all of us .

Gotta post....this thing will time out on me..

Nancy & Belle
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Saturday

I can relate to fireworks. When they seemed to be going off all I wanted was peace. I am enjoying the peace I have now. No drama, guilt or shame to go with it.

I love it when I get to spend time with older people, which hasn't been for awhile since I lost both my grandparents last fall. They give you such a fresh perspective on what is really important. What we should enjoy and what we should discard--what really matters in the end.

It is raining and dreary here--yet a glorious morning since I have no hangover. Off to spend time with my two boys.

Kim

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Company just all left - pre-wedding trip to the mall and family visits. While they departed with my car, I am enjoying the quiet until everyone returns for the mad dash to get ready for the wedding.

Susan, I also have lost so many posts! I have begun to copy the text of the message prior to posting it, then if it disappears I can just paste it back in.

Matt, thanks for the advice, the diet info in the book and your post sounds very practical (I will miss that morning cup of coffee). It is more the additional supps that have me confused. I think I need some quiet time to digest it and come up with a plan - so I hope to start Tuesday after a trip to the store. While I can't get away for walks (it is pouring), the most recent family arrivals are deflecting some of the craziness with the kids.

Nancy, I love the reverse time out idea. It made me realize that my husband is already a master at that. When the going gets rough he generally remembers some errand that "must" be done... off he goes.

I think my break is over. I need to get my nails done and towels dried before the return of the family.

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Good Morning

]Hi everyone,

Humbled but feeling better than the day after my birthday . Thanks for all the warm thoughts. Shas if you go away then how can the rest of us stay? We are sick little pups sometimes you know? We are here for help and to help eachother. Just because we are committed to abs. does not mean we won't bite it once in awhile.

Kim, glad to see you regularly checkin in, it's a really big help and encouragment.

Man, speaking of company..........my dad has been here for almost 2 weeks, my mom came yesterday, my sister and nephew come tomorrow, and MY house is TRASHED. Not in my usual clean and organized environment. Of course it's nice and cool on the beach here, so NO ONE is interested in going back to 100+ temps. :s (cute smilie I think).

Love to you all,

Lor

Comment

Saturday, July 22

I really wasn't trying to be a smart a** Just didn't know the font would be THAT big!

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Well susan here I am jumping in!!

Just bursting to tell someone, i have been out to stock up on sparkling mineral water and some ice (we are having a heatwave in the UK: ) able to buy haf a doz bottles same price as one bottle of wine!! good deal

can I share my plan somehow if I speak it out I might find myself more committed to it
              this is day one of abs for me.
              I have an appointment a week monday to get my campral prescription. as you may know I have to have abstain for a while before I can start that. so hopefully I will get through next week w/o alcohol.
              In the meantime I will order the sups and cds from MYO

Sounds so simple - thank you

By the way my name is Carole (I chose sophia as my user name because it is the greek name for wisdom and that is what I am seeking)

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Welcome Carole!

When ordering your supps, get the "kit" that comes with L-glutamine. The "kit" makes everything easy and straightforward (no extra shopping, guessing, dose calculations, etc.) The L-glutamine is really tremendously powerful for eliminating cravings (emergency dose=1/2 capful held under tongue).

While you're at it see if you can request the new Abstinence CD's instead of the original moderation CDs. Customer support at MWO is always exceptional and friendly.

Since you've already tried the mods without success (from other posts) lets agree to help each other in sticking with and enjoying our abstinence. I've been AF for 32 days and still get the occasional thought of "someday" being able to have that glass or two of wine. From all I've been reading that's a sure fire way to go right back to my 2 bottles per night. Anybody agree / disagree with that conclusion?

Shas, Come on back! You know we love you!

Great job everyone in Abbeyland! You're my heroes!

Matt

PS I'm off for some good summer fun this afternoon. Gonna see Pirates of the Carribean, ARGHHHH!

Comment

Saturday, July 22

thanks Matt especially for the tips welcome any other words of advice.
                  and I agree that I cannot go back down that road of thinking one day i may be able to enjoy a glass of wine, it doesn't work well didn't for me. see the entries about brain memory in the holistic health thread

I believe campral and l-glutamine do a similar job - do you think it will be ok to take both??

enjoy the flix

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Hi All In Absville!

Oh Goodie! All sorts of fonts and colors to play with too, WHAT FUN!!! I can get into this, particularly since my regular e-mail provider is verrrrry boring!!

At any rate, I'm just signing in for now. Saturday is going well so far. I have a lot of things to do, and I have promised myself that I am going to get them DONE before I let myself f*rt around on this site all afternoon and then be miffed with myself for not getting anything done. Also do the hypno and try to stay AWAKE today! LOL!

Anyway, back later!

Good to see you at the helm today, Susan!!!

Lots of love!
                    Kathy
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Well, obviously, the fonts didn't work!!! Bother!!
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Saturday, July 22

July 22

Sounds good Kathy. I'm so excited for you - seeing how well you're doing! Absville might not seem like too much fun at first, but once you get the hang of it it's Dy-no-mite! (Yep, I watched 70's sitcoms too...) Oh I just saw your 2nd post, I'm about to see if the fonts work too...

Susan, you know I've had this thing in the back of my mind that somehow life should always be a party, like your fireworks. Like, somehow everyone else, even people I don't know, was having fun and I was missing out...? Hard to describe, but I think it was my alcoholic voice talking to me, telling me that I can have a party any ol' time as long as there;s a bottle around. But yeah, it's not like that now. I'm not waiting to "get there" anymore. Just doing what I gotta do to make some progress. Lots of problem solving, that's a skill I'm beginning to hone again, instead of just hoping things will work themselves out.

It's like your quote too, if we focus on having lost sight of the land we left, then not only will we feel lost and directionless, bit we won't enjoy the journey. I've finally finally finally "got" that that IS life. So enjoy the journey. It's the same thing people say when they've been near death, or are near it, because they have the perspective & clarity to see the simple truth.

:w Carole! I wish you the best of luck. You got some great advice above, and a wonderful group of people here, so stick around!!

Lori, thanks for the large type, this miniature type is annoying! Too much work! But I do love he new boards other than that!

Hi to everyone else!

Deirdre

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Oh well, fonts didn't work for me either. Any advice?

Hey everybody, this is my kitty, Mighty Mouse, my bestest, most precious angel. He's the one that pulled me through the worst times. Like when I felt suicidal, he saved my life because I just didn't want to leave him! I couldn't. Can you blame me?

D

Comment

Saturday, July 22

You Guys Rock!

I can't say enough how much I am in awe of everyone on this site! You are all so strong!! I hope each of you realize what you've accomplished! Amazing! I don't know if I'll ever be able to move in, but I have my realtor working on it!

Kathy, I am hoping to ride your coat tails. Your fears sound so similiar to mine. Your post on the 17th about mourning the fun times really hit home because I have had so many really, really fun times partying. Of course, every story has two sides.....

Carole, looks like you and I will be kinda starting together. I say kinda because this is my plan.....

I was going to wait until August, but three weeks ago went to Cabo San Lucas and partyied (sp? you'd think for sure I'd know how to spell that word!) like a rock star and put on some extra weight that I was sure I'd take off once home. Hasn't happened. Now I leave next Saturday for a big reunion with a few extra pounds.

Tomorrow I am going to go abs until I leave on Sat. with the exception of Thurs( one of my best friends birthdays and I already agreed to go bicycle bar- hopping).

THEN, when I get back on Aug 4th, going abs for a month and taking it from there. I can't say I'll never drink EVER again. The thought of that is just too overwhelming at this point.

Sorry for such a long post. Like Carole, just feel as though if I tell my "plan" to someone there's a better chance it may work. Even typing this, the little devil of a voice inside my head is hysterically laughing saying, "Girl! A MONTH! I doubt you're even going to make it Sun-Wed! Heck! I'll even put money on you not making it through Sunday!"

And you know what?! I don't know if I'd put any money on this plan working either....help...not today...I have my chardonney....but tomorow.........and the next day.....and the next....

Comment

Saturday, July 22

Fonts!

Here's a copy of my post from this morning on General Discussion re: fonts:

I FINALLY figured it out!!

As you've probably noticed you can change the font and size at the top of the post...BUT, as you've also probably noticed, you can't SEE that change while you actually type but only after you post....

So, here's what you do:
                              1. User CP
                              2. Edit Options
                              3. Misc. Options (at the bottom)
                              Select: Enhanced Interface--Full WYSIWYG Editing

And, voila!!! You can pick your font, the type size, etc. AND see it (and your smilies) while you're actually typing the post!! It's a beautiful thing.
                              susan
                              "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Working...
                              X