AF Daily Thread - December 11, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! I'm left speechless after yesterday's great thread. (yes, really) It was great food for thought as this evening Mr. Doggy and I will be going to the local Chamber of Commerce holiday party which is a very posh annual affair that all chamber members get really excited about. And lots of booze flowing, of course. I wasn't even worried about this event - in fact I was looking forward to it until a couple nights ago when Mr. Doggy said "since we're going, I'm going to network network network and we're staying until the bitter end." Of course that is the RIGHT way to look at Chamber of Commerce events - they are networking opportunities and lord knows we need the business right now.

But my gut reaction was a heart stopping fear of being "stuck" in a drinking situation. My plans for the most minor of social events ALWAYS include an exit strategy.

The solution is really simple - we drive in separate vehicles. Less of a "date" feeling, but oh well. Keeps the priorities straight because we of course need to put our business up front, but I HAVE TO keep my sobriety as #1. But that sure cause a gut wrenching sleepless night! Better to have that gut reaction BEFORE the event so I could come up with a new plan than Mr. Doggy making a pronouncement like that AT the event. Count blessings, count blessings.

The part is held at a beautiful old mansion that has been restored to it's former glory, and it is leased out for business events, weddings, etc. now. I want to focus on the interesting surroundings and networking my butt off!

Mean time it's another busy day - the Buy Local group board meeting was yesterday and today is an "open" meeting for interested potential members to come. I think there is going to be a good turnout! More networking.

Have a great AF day everyone!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Me and Sausage cross posted. Please use the other Sausage thread for today!!!!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

hi everyone,
      it has been long since posted, but let me say am happy and inspired more than ever, i have meet a great friend and some one that i treasure and love very much, i have meet one of the mwo members who have come all the way to see me and as i said am sooo happy and can really see the good of my sobriety,
      not only do we all chat and help each other in this place but we are all a bunch of great people,
      more than ever now i have a reason to be sober and appreciate my life and who i am.
      we all can be happy and help each other as long as we keep an open mind and love, care and not limit our mind by leaving in fear.
      love to you all

Comment

Hi Maasai! It's great to see you're doing so well! I'm happy for you!:h

DG--I think your community project sounds great. Our little town pleads every year for people to shop at home, but in my opinion they don't really go out of their way to make that happen. They do the same things year after year. Drawings for money and prizes. Chamber bucks.
        I'm not a business woman, but I'm a mom and I have a few ideas. I don't understand why the local hardware store (or grocery store) don't bring in some "Dollar Store" items at Christmastime. Every student from Kindergarten to 6th grade is asked to bring a small gift for another student and spend no more than $3. We end up driving out of town to shop for such items. This way they get people into their store even though they might not make a lot of $ on the small items. As it is now, a lot of people just go to Walmart and get everything they need. I realize it is really hard to compete with these stores, but at least in our community, the prices seem pretty outrageous. I think they need to learn to compete with the Internet also.
        I've been wanting to comment to you, DG about this, but didn't want to hijack another thread.
        Do you have any ideas? :thanks:
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
        X