AF Daily Thread- Friday, December 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hellow all! I didn't write yesterday, but boy did I read! All very interesting.

Yes, I agree alcohol affects everyone, but that some people really can be moderate drinkers. As somebody said here, if you have to think about moderating, you can't. The people who CAN moderate are the people who DO moderate, completely naturally. They don't have to plan it, they don't have to think about it. They just do it.

It seems most of us are not those sort of wonderful beings and have come to realize this only through long and painful experience. However, realizing this, and finally accepting it, seems to have made the AF path easier for many. If you know in your soul you are not able to moderate, then any time you take a drink, you are admitting you are going to get drunk. This is where you cannot get out of taking the responsibility for what you do-- you KNOW what the consequences of your actions will be, and when you take those actions, you take the responsibility for those consequences.

Unfortuantely, I drank last night. I know I can't moderate, but as there was not very much alcohol available, I convinced myself it was under control and a one-time thing. Well, it was under control, in the sense that no matter how much I wanted another drink after the alcohol was gone, there was no way for me to get any, so I went to bed instead, slightly inebriated, not satisfied, and full of remorse. (All known consequences, so I take full responsibility).

I'm not sure why I did this, as I did not have a strong urge-- but I'm wondering if it was a subconscious effort to strengthen my resolve before the holiday festivities hit full on... to remind myself-- to give myself a recent reminder of why I don't want to drink and how it really feels when you do drink.

Anyway, it's over and done with. I had a gruesome night of regret, remorse, and general self-loathing. This morning I'm feeling very positive... like, yeh, maybe I needed that bang on the ol'cranium to keep me in line. That's OK, it makes me feel even better and more determined about not drinking during these holidays. Is this strange?

Anyway, to lighten things up, here's a little doggy joke:

A blind man with a seeing eye dog at his side walks into a grocery store. The man walks to the middle of the store, picks up the dog by the tail, and starts swinging the dog around in circles over his head.

The store manager sees this and decides to find out what's going on. He approaches the blind man swinging the dog and says, "Pardon me. May I help you with something."

The blind man says, "No thanks. I'm just looking around."
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

LOL beatle.... hi there and thanks for startin the thread.

thanks also for your honesty....I am not the sort of alcoholic that could do what you did last night! I would have to have a quite LARGE and planned stash, as, if I ran out while I had started getting 'the taste for it' I would go as far as breaking the law to get more....Have done so in the past....that is how totally Jeckyll and Hyde I am when in my disease.

Well I hope you have a great day - well DONE for getting back up!! Friday is nearly done and dusted here, and I have made it through again with no big upsets.

Bless you , beatle and happy day to all to come
    *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Luv that joke.

Well done for getting up this morning newly motivated.

I also couldn't have done as you did. If I had run out of alcohol I wouldn't have stopped at anyting to get some more. In actual fact I probably would not have bothered to have my first drink without making sure there is plenty more.

I cannot moderate. that's for sure.
      AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

I've spent a bit of time today going through (and deleting) old posts of mine on this site..

I'm not sure exactly why I feel this is necessary. I'm not obliterating my past.. in fact, to the contrary I spend a lot of active time forcing myself to remember who I am and not to delude myself. But I HAVE moved on a lot... I see no need to have this rubbish of mine in cyberspace... there is enough pain here, no need for my pain to remain here.. some posts will remain but the majority will go... in time.

I'm struck by how many of my first posts were welcoming to new people, willing them on (willing myself on in the process).. but I can do it for no one but myself. You have no idea how many people I spoke to who post and then left. Staggering. This is not a journey for the faint hearted.. its a journey for the strong ones.. the ones who can face the lonely task.. the ones who will stand up and be honest and the ones that will fight. Its not easy, there is no easy way, no short cut, no magic. Just hard work for just reward.

luckily for me, I'm a fighter.

Brigid

Comment

Hi Abs friends. I am not sure if I belong here anymore because of the following:

I posted this in the subscriber section but this is also my "home group" and I need to be honest.

Okay. I am not sure where to post this. But posting among my friends is probably the best place to do it.

I decided to follow the Sinclair method, the one where you take Naltrexone and in my case also Campral, and continue to drink. My psychiatrist would rather I quit altogether as soon as possible but supports this method as a great option to try to use to get to abstinence. So try it I am.

This is a scary road but I am choosing it because I have had so many slips that ended up in huge binges and blackout in the last few months. I cannot keep living like that.

So, I started the Naltrexone and Campral last Thursday. She gave me 50 mg of Naltrexone a day and the usual 2 tabs 3 times a day of Campral. I was still having huge cravings, so I read that many people up the Naltrexone to 100 mg a day. Being an all day drinker, I started taking Naltrexone 2 times a day, 100 mg a day.

I cannot begin to describe the difference it has made for me in a mere week. Period.

It works. At least for me.

I went down to the bar night before last and had a glass of wine with dinner. I walked away with half the glass undrunk. I simply could not force myself to drink it.

I know many here will be disappointed because they know that AF is my only way, and I agree, but I seem to keep trying to get into the ring with the beast anyway.

All I know, is that I have awakened sober every day since starting this, I am filled with energy, and I know if I want to drink, I can, I just don't want to.

Does that make sense?
          I do want to stay AF and that is my goal. But my failures have led me to believe I need to be more aggressive than I have been. I feel like a walking chemistry experiment and I am ashamed that I had to take such drastic measures but I am doing it anyway because I never, ever, want to drink to blackout again as long as I live.

My other option, as my psychiatrist has said, is to go into long term residential rehab. I believe this is my best option to try before I do something so draconian.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi that is a great read!!! I think that instead of saying you are ashamed to have to take such drastic measures, you should be PROUD to have the strength and determination to take such drastic measures. You continue to be my hero and have my unwavering admiration, respect & love. :l :l :h
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Everyone have their weekend plan in place??? I have a busy weekend in store. Only one event that makes me nervous and it's tonight. I will volunteer to drive. That will be the end of that.

Have a great day...gotta get to work.
              Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

I have a busy weekend with the Inn full.
                Yesterdays guests left a half bottle of wine in their room.Yikes...It was a surprise to see it sitting there.I just asked Hubby to go pour it out for me before I pour it in me.
                We both laughed but the truth is, not long ago, I would have.
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Cindi: You are doing what you have to do, & that's final. You don't have to explain yourself, but if you feel you do, then thank you very much. I too would leave no stone unturned before I went into long-term rehab. We're all different, & you've got a plan. Good luck...I'm really pulling for you. I know about slips all too well. Those meds will get you through the difficult part.

I'm having a dinner party tonight & won't be drinking. I know what happens to me when I do. I cannot have just one, so I'm going to enjoy the party sober.

Love, mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Cindi! You gotta do what ya gotta do, girl! You have always been very sincere and try so hard. I agree with Greenie, you should be PROUD! Sounds like this might just work! How exciting!! The thought of spending 3 months in a rehab would be enough to drive me to drink I think! I'm pulling for you, and I hope you continue to post your progress and experience here! You go girl! :h
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Beatle, you are a stronger person then I ever was. I could never ever stop at just a couple and my thinking the next day would be "well I broke my streak - I might as well finish out the weekend." So, kudos to you but just be careful and it is a slippery slope as you well know and our little minds have a way of justifying just about anything.

Cindi, I would agree with what the others here have said. You have been taking all the necessary steps to try and reach true sobriety and so far you haven't got there. So, why feel bad about one more step, especially if it works for you. I for one will never judge someone for doing everything the can to win this fight....
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      At my meeting this morning I heard the phrase 'we will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us' and it got me to thinking. How many times in the past has a difficult situation come up and my first thought was to run and hide in the bottom of a bottle instead of dealing with it head on? I figured staying numb was preferrable to having to feel any kind of strong emotion (cause I drank to both forget and to celebrate) - and over time that reaction became sort of second nature to me. So, by the time my alcoholism was at full strength I had no idea how to deal with any type of situation unless it involved a bottle of vodka.

It was only through working my program that I finally learned that it was okay to have and express those emotions. I think what used to bother me the most was my fear of the unknown... Would an employee hate me if I got mad at them? What if my wife laughed at me for telling her I was scared? Those were the kind of thoughts that used to dominate my thinking, but what I learned is that I cannot control those outcomes, so why spend all my energy worrying about them. So what if an employee hates me - I wasn't doing it to be mean to them, and if my wife laughs at me then she is the one with emotional problems, not me.

Now, this certainly didn't happen overnight, but it did happen. While fear still creeps into my life, I can now at least see it and work my plan to deal with instead of sticking my head in the sand. The funny thing is, I almost look forward to the opportunity sometimes... I know that sounds crazy, but for so long I used to not deal with anything, but now I have the tools to approach situations just like any other normal human being does and it just makes me feel so alive sometimes.

Do things always work out the way that I want them to? Of course not, but if I use my tools (such as prayer and meditation) the right course of action usually presents itself and for that I am so thankful.
                      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Welcome, JohnnyH! I'm with you... moderate drinking is NOT a possibility for me. I hope you stick around this thread, it's a really good one!

Beatle, not sure what to say, except I am glad you are here, posting, and doing OK. Seems that you are a bit hazy about the "trigger," or the thinking and emotional stuff that was going on while you were making the decision to drink... maybe it would be good to work on that a bit more?

Cindi, I'm cheering for you. I hope it works out very well for you.

Everyone: ho ho ho, right? Today is the first day of my mother's estate sale and I am feeling weird as hell... as if I am making a horrible mistake, what the hell am I thinking, selling my mother's STUFF??? I have this image of her getting into a cab and going over to her house and seeing what I am doing "to" her.... it feels absolutely rotten. And yet I have carefully kept all the things that I believe have the most meaning for her.... boxes and boxes of stuff, her collections, letters, photos, some furniture... and yet... it feels like a betrayal.

But I will NOT drink over it. Had a good workout this morning, heading out for coffee with friends in a little bit, and dinner with a another friend (she is a very light drinker, not an old drinking buddy of mine, and she knows I have stopped drinking) tonight.

There's a lot of painful stuff in life. AND drinking would only make it WORSE!!!

Comment

p.s., Brigid, I understand that impulse to delete the old posts. I am thinking seriously about doing that, too. I am well aware that not everyone who reads the stuff we post (and have posted) about ourselves, on this site, are our friends!

Comment

Wip--sounds like you have a difficult day(s) ahead. I feel for you. I kind of felt that way when we sold my parent's stuff--and they were gone!
                            I can't help but wishing I was there, though. I LOVE estate auctions!
                            Will be thinking of you today! :l
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

WIP - you'll do fine but I'll be thinking of you.

Just remember, our minds have a way of messing with us, and one of those ways is to imagine outcomes to situations that are beyond our control. You are doing the right thing so don't beat yourself up about it, okay?
                              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Working...
                              X