• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday December 16

Marking the thread...sorry dg, can't lift my leg like you:H

Hope everyone has a great af day, i'm out the door

nat
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Tuesday December 16

So where the heck is everyone??? it's 8:30, time to get up!!
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Tuesday December 16

hallo on my way, its not morning for me but am here have a lovely day

Comment

Tuesday December 16

happy belated birthday Maasai!!

Comment

Tuesday December 16

Hi OMW & Massai: I'm going to do an abbreviated version of my volunteer job in my g-son's classroom. I'm still not 100% but much better.

Congratulations to all who have reached a milestone! I'm right behind you.

4theboys: Congratulations on coming back to MWO. We've all had our ups & downs. We're always here when you need us.

Regarding New Year's Eve: We were going to attend a charity event. While there won't be an open bar, there will be plenty of drinking & toasting. After all, that's what New Year's Eve is about for normal drinkers. My problem, as you all know, is that a simple champagne toast isn't nearly enough. I've declined the invitation, ostensibly on the grounds that we want to keep New Year's Eve low-key this year. However, I really don't want to be around that kind of celebration. Even people who drink mod, sometimes go overboard on that one day. So, in order to preserve my sobriety, I've decided to say "no." My husb is fine about it. He can't stand those kinds of events. We'll probably have a family dinner & then watch a video.

I'm not sure if I would have declined that invitation if it weren't for MWO, & all the sharing I read here. One obvious tool to recovery from AL addiction is logically to stay away from events where it will be flowing.

I'll try to check back later. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Tuesday December 16

Hi, OMW, thanks or starting the thread!! Hope you have a great day.

Maasai, It is always such a joy to see you. Glad you are here.

Mary, I am with you on not going to a big New Year's event. There will be too many people drinking. We always stay at home and do fireworks. My son brings over some beer but that is about it. No temptation there. ick.

The rest of the family is AF these days.

I go home Thursday. Whew.

Love to all,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Tuesday December 16

Good morning everyone!!

Mary, you are absolutely right about New Years Eve. Even "normal" drinkers let loose that night. We haven't even discussed our plans. If it were up to me, I'd just stay home by the fire! We've had friends in before, I could handle that sober, so maybe that's what we'll do.
              At my meeting the other day we were discussing afterwards how families treat us when we are af. Some of the women there really get a hard time, and are called prudes, etc! I'm glad I haven't had to deal with that much yet. It was sure different talking "out loud" about alcohol use!
              On another note, DH has not been drinking. About twice a year he goes through a period where he doesn't feel "right"--heart palpitations, etc. He went to the doctor and they are going to do some testing (he will wear a monitor for 30 days). Personally I think it is overindulgence for too long (Thanksgiving w/ BIL) and anxiety. I did show him an article about "holiday heart" and a condition that is similar but more serious called atrial fibrillation. I only wish he would talk to me more and let me share the wealth of knowledge I have now!:H
              It would be really nice if he cut down his al consumption though!!! I have a feeling it won't last. But I'll take what I can get!!:h

Have a great day everyone. Cindi--I hope you get out of Omaha. Not my favorite place in Nebraska!:l
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Tuesday December 16

Happy Tuesday to everyone and hope your morning (or afternoon) is off to a great start. Supposed to get snow here just in time for rush hour, so I am thankful that I only live five miles from the office.

Saw this today in one of my readings and it really hit home for me. Hope you can get something out of it too:

"Life is not a search for happiness. Happiness is a by-product of living the right kind of a life, of doing the right thing. Do not search for happiness, search for right living and happiness will be your reward. Life is sometimes a march of duty during dull, dark days. But happiness will come again, as God's smile of recognition of your faithfulness. True happiness is always the by-product of a life well lived".

I am with everyone on the New Year's Eve celebrations in that I prefer to keep them low-key. Hell, I'm usually asleep before Midnight even rolls around!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Tuesday December 16

Wow, AA, those a really great words to live by. Thank you!!

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Tuesday December 16

Good Morning Abbers,

Thank you sincerely for all the best wishes, things not been all that bad but have come to the realization that life is too short to not feel and live each second we have.

Feeling real good today despite the frigid ass cold outside today. I'll keep myself warm with all the positive thoughts here today.

Have a great day today!!

4tb
                    Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                    Watch this and find out....
                    http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Tuesday December 16

nice words AA

Comment

Tuesday December 16

I know this may sound some what stupid. I have been focused on not drinking, I have analyzed why I drink or want to drink, the triggers, the dangers etc. But I am really having a tough time dealing with the crap some unnamed family members give me. It was always so much easier to deal with them when self medicated. Now we have hit the holiday season and the spending a lot more time with family, ARGH, they are driving me nuts. When SHMBO gets here, nat will probably either be face down in the kitchen or leave town. Any suggestions in dealing with my peeps without completely avoiding them or telling them to buzz off?? I am thinking a small trip for me hubs and I.

The are stressing me out. I think it is time for a run.

Comment

Tuesday December 16

stay strong, be well,

zoom zoom
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Tuesday December 16

AA: Those words are so true. When I do "the next right thing" I'm fine. Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Tuesday December 16

Hello All,

AA, I love what you wrote. A life well lived is indeed a biproduct of happiness. The more sobriety I have under my belt, the more this becomes true for me. I am learning to have more faith in myself and the choices that I make because they are about living a good life.

OMW, I do believe that when we remove the haze of alcohol, what we see is often not pretty. My only recommendation is to accept the way you are feeling about your family and to limit your time around them at least for the time being.

Many of you have also mentioned New Year plans. We (me and my family) will go to "First Night" which is an event held in many major cities. There will be lots of nonalcoholic venues around town and fireworks at the end of the night. It should be lots of fun.

That's all for now. Be well.

M3
                              AF Since April 20, 2008
                              4 Years!!!
                              :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                              X