Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily AF Thread - Thursday December 18

MARKING AND RUNNING!!!!! :H

Whew - it appears I ran fast enough today to avoid us having two threads!!

Snowing in Las Vegas????? Wow. Deter I hope you took some pictures! Please post if you did! (even if it's just a couple airborn flakes)

I'm going to make this quick as I have a few accounting things to do so I can mail some stuff on my way to Curves. I'm a little worried about the weather forcast for tonight - the ice they are predicting could be devastating to the power lines around here. In the last couple of years, it seems like it has taken nothing for the power to go out, and then a long time for line repairs. 1/2 to an inch of ice????? Yikes. I am thankful that we have generators to keep the most significant things running and also a clean water supply and other emergency plan type measures. (Mr. Doggy is anal about that) But we've gone about a week before without power and it's just not fun. So I hope it doesn't come to that. I know it is pointless to worry about things before they happen and hopefully DON'T happen. So I will try to stop my mind from worryin' about this wasted time. Oh wait...

I hope everyone who has already gotten winter madness weather is all warm and dug out with the power ON. I might be a worry wart today, but at least I don't have to worry about how a storm might affect my ability to drink all day. Then I would be of course making an emergency run to the liquor store. And that would turn into multiple liquor stores because who knows how long the storm might last or the power be out, but I can't buy THAT many bottles all from one store. etc. etc. etc. Talk about wasted time.

OK - off to finish my accounting work and get my butt to Curves!!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Control

Hmm. I am thinking about what DG was talking about. Power lines. ice, things we cannot control.

For me. I was casting about last night for some "friends" because the work I was doing was not going well. Okay, it was not going and when it did go it went badly.

Control

I have no control over many things. Period.

I cannot drink to overcome that. Well, I can, but it won't help.

All I want today, at the end of the day is to be hugged by my hubby, scratched and hugged by my dog and in my own bed.

However, if I cannot be there, I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT.

I will do whatever I can to be back home. I will do whatever I can to make my client happy, I will do whatever I can to make things "right."

But, sometimes I can't.

I must live with that. Like everyone else. I can and will do it sober.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Good morning Abbers!

Hey DG I feel your pain as we are going to get our butts handed to us tonight at least they are forecasting snow up here and it seems you are going to turn in popsicles down your way. Stock up it could be a complete shut down for a few days or more.

Cinders I hope you get your hug.

Work is slow lately but lets me catch up on leftover tasks. Got to go for now and I wish everyone a great day today!
      Is Addiction Really a Disease?
      Watch this and find out....
      http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Dg, it’s so funny to imagine the liquor store run. I totally understand. I also know life’s so much easier when al is out of the equation.

Cindi, I hope you got good sleep last night and you can start fresh this morning.

We are in line for the ice too and we loose power quite easily. We dug out the generator last night. My big job it to haul a BUNCH of fire wood in this morning. I need to get the rest of my Christmas shopping done, I am beginning to stress. Also need to do a bunch of baking. Argh!!

Better get at it!, happy sober day to all.
        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

OMW,

No, I am sitting in Omaha, NE and haven't had my hug yet.

I did not get a good night's sleep because I am leaving my client's system in disarray. (Not like me!!)

However, I am going to try to get home today despite the "ice warnings" on the tv.

I must try.

I will try to get home BEFORE I try to get the client fixed.

Why? Because the hug lasts forever, the client will go on and do without me.

However, I did my best with the client. What worries me is that in the past, in the last 15 years, I let the "client" come first. I have realized in the last few weeks, actually, that the hug from hubby is a whole lot more important than the kudos from the client that will send an e-mail about my greatness and forget about me forever, but the hubby is there.

I do not want to lose the hubby and the dog (or the cats) who snuggle up with me when I am home.

Please pray I get home today.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

You're in my prayers and go get that hug. Be carefull!!
            Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Cindi, hoping that you make it home safe and sound to the people that love you

DG & 4TB, don't know where you guys are at in our great state but I am out in the Wheaton area and they are now saying 5 - 12 inches of snow. Who would have thought we would be grateful for possibly a foot of snow but it beats the ice the were originally predicting for here.

DG I was like you and would have gone the the liquor store today to make sure I had enough on hand to last me through the storm. Of course, I would have initially told myself if was for Thursday night into the weekend to justify buying a big bottle, knowing full well it would have been cracked open the moment I got home.

Control is a good topic for today, and my issue was that each and every day I went through situations and events in my head over and over and had carefully planned out how everything would go. There is a passage in the Big Book that probably says it better then I could:

Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show; is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the scenery and the rest of the players in his own way. If his arrangements would only stay put, if only people would do as he wished, the show would be great. Everybody, including himself, would be pleased. Life would be wonderful....

What usually happens? The show doesn't come off very well... Is he not a victim of the delusion that he can wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this world if he only manages well? Is it not evident to all the rest of the players that these are the things he wants?....

I had to learn to stop expecting outcomes to certain situations and accept life on life's terms. I had to stop trying to control the whole show - because I had been obviously trying for years and never succeeded. You think I would eventually learn that the whole world doesn't revolve around my needs and wants, but I can be pretty dense at times...

Anyway, hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Thursday!
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

I had to stop trying to control the whole show
                Exactly.

That is what I have been trying to say today in my bumbling way.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Morning
                  Ah yes control...for years I was and needed to be in total control and always trying to keep my self one step ahead...All I got for my efforts was exhaustion.
                  About 18 months ago I decided to try and "train" my mind. My motto was to be "If I can control it, do something about it...If not, let it go".....It took a long time, but I did change my way of thinking with alot of self talk and practice, practice.
                  I am a now content, and a firm believer in trying my best to live in the moment, not perfect, but I am in a much better place mentally......
                  Off to work, we too, are expecting a big snowfall starting tomorrow a.m......grrrrrr
                  Hope everyone has a great day....
                  sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Cinders;497846 wrote:
                    That is what I have been trying to say today in my bumbling way.
                    No bumbling involved darlin - you said it quite nicely!
                    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Cinders - I too think you said it nicely - control (and the lack of it - Yin/Yang I guess) is a great topic today. We sure can't control mother nature any more than we can control many life circumstances (what other people choose to do, etc.) AA I really like that analogy from the big book. Talk about setting up no-win situations for ourselves. Charlee I would love to hear more details on how you worked on this issue if you care to share.

Cinders, I am sending every good vibe I can muster your way for a "get home" day.

OMW - have fun totin' the fire wood.

AA I'm in the Joliet area right in the "I-80 corridor" they keep talking about. Mr. Doggy lived in Wheaton when we met and one of his brothers lives there. Small world! OMW where are you again? (or maybe you haven't said so I'm not trying to pry if you don't want to reveal...)

I better get busy and figure out what errands should be run today just in case we are stuck for a few days..

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Well I am pleased with snow. We normally get the same weather the Wheaton/Joliet area does. I would much rather have 2 ft of snow over 1" of ice. Our weather peeps keep saying ice, yuck!
                        Now I just need to figure out some safe activities for the kiddies to do. They generally are very resourceful; they tend to combine snow sports with motor sports, a frightening perspective for a parent.

Comment

So strange to hear you talk of ice and storms. I am sitting looking out at a clear blue sky. It is very, very hot right now.

Today has been horrible. I have felt very out of control. A friend was robbed and tortured in her own home. I have just arrived home after spending some time with her.

I also received some horrible fiancial news. My biggest debtor cannot pay me, so I am looking at a very bleak Christmas. There has been horrible anxiety and I have struggling with images of a glass or two or three or four of wine.

The subject of control is so pertinent right now. I am telling myself that the only control I have right now is to say "no" to the first glass of wine.

Comment

We are expecting some freezing rain in the Kansas City area, but apparently not a whole lot, and it's supposed to be warm enough to get rid of it quickly... I'm thinking of all of you who are (or recently have been) in the world of the ice storm. I sat through one, without power for 5 days, a few years ago. Lord, it was so depressing every evening, when the sun went down and we started lighting the candles... One good thing, of course, was that it was so cold that food didn't spoil! When the electricity guy finally got to my house, to hook me back up, I ran out and hugged him!

Control: great topic. I find that trying to control the uncontrollable is one of the biggest (if not THE biggest), sources of serious anxiety problems. Trying to control the uncontrollable is all about worrying about the future (anxiety), and regretting stuff in the past (depression). Takes us right out of the moment, away from what is going right now, and into the world of fantasy (past and future).

Once I have noticed that that's what I am doing (and that takes some practice!), something that helps me to get out of that nasty mental loop is to simply slow down. Whatever I am doing, I slow it down a shade, and deliberately notice what I am feeling in my body, as well as what's going on in my mind. If I need to walk down the hall to the copier... I walk a bit more slowly. Focus on the sensations of walking (feet against the floor). If I am typing something at the computer, I force myself to do it a little more slowly, and focus my attention on physical sensations (finger on keyboard, butt in the chair, tension in my neck, etc.).

It's all about practicing mindfulness in everyday life, paying attention to what is happening right now. Among many other benefits, that kind of practice lowers anxiety.

Comment

p.s., Veritas, I'm VERY sorry to hear about the the receivable that won't be received. These are awfully tough times...

Comment

Working...
                              X