X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article: Benefits of Moderate Drinking Result from Alcohol Itself

Benefits of Moderate Drinking Result from Alcohol Itself
    by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.
    Some writers have been arguing that wine drinkers tend to be healthier than others because they generally have better health habits, not because they consume alcohol.
    It?s true that wine drinkers tend to have better health habits than many others do. However, that can?t explain away the established medical fact that the moderate consumption of beer, wine or distilled spirits improves health and longevity. Both beer and liquor tend to confer the same health benefits as red wine; the benefit is found in the alcohol rather than in a specific beverage.
    Alcohol reduces heart attacks, ichemic strokes and circulatory problems through a number of identified ways. They include:
    Improving blood lipid profile by increasing HDL ("good") cholesterol and decreasing LDL ("bad") cholesterol.
    Decreasing thrombosis (blood clotting) by reducing platelet aggregation, reducing fibrinogen (a blood clotter) and increasing fibrinolysis (the process by which clots dissolve).
    Other ways such as increasing coronary blood flow, reducing blood pressure, and reducing blood insulin level.
    The moderate consumption of alcohol appears to be more effective than most other lifestyle changes that are used to lower the risk of heart and other diseases. For example, the average person would need to follow a very strict low-fat diet, exercise vigorously on a regular basis, eliminate salt from the diet, lose a substantial amount of weight, and probably begin medication in order to lower cholesterol by 30 points or blood pressure by 20 points.
    But medical research suggests that alcohol can have a greater impact on heart disease than even these hard-won reductions in cholesterol levels or blood pressure. Only cessation of smoking is more effective. Additionally, other medical research suggests that adding alcohol to a healthful diet is more effective than just following the diet alone.
    After reviewing the research on heart diseases and stroke, Dr. David Whitten reported that "we don't have any drugs that are as good as alcohol" and noted investigator Dr. Curtis Ellison asserted that "abstinence from alcohol is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease."
    The moderate consumption of alcohol appears to be beneficial in reducing or preventing even more diseases and health problems including angina pectoris bone fractures and osteoporosis, diabetes, digestive ailments, duodenal ulcer, erectile dysfunction (ED), essential tremors, gallstones, hearing loss, hepatitis A, kidney stones, liver disease, macular degeneration (a major cause of blindness), pancreatic cancer, Parkinson?s disease, poor cognition and memory, poor physical condition in elderly, rheumatoid arthritis, stress and depression, and type B gastritis.
    It?s not surprising that the science-based Harvard Healthy Eating Pyramid recommends the regular moderate consumption of alcohol
    (beer, wine, or spirits) unless contraindicated.
    It?s clear that the moderate consumption of alcohol improves health and increases longevity.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Cheers.
    Moderation....................
    in every thing
    improves every
    one and thing

Comment

I have seen this information before. I wish someone would publish some guidelines to what is considered "moderate" though. It is like the British study which states that women should drink no more than 17 units of alcohol per week yet is does not clearly define a unit.
      vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

love you kid, thanks for this x by the way cycle i have to say that whilst i can understand that units of A need to be identifeid i really do think that to make a blanket prescription of so many units per week surely must depend on the other lifestyle factors of each individual. In other words, if you are a smoker, do not exercise and eat crap then surely the units will have considerably more impact than if you are a non smoker, exercise regularly, eat a really healthy diet etc then you may be able to cope with more units ?? The government guidelines are never taken into context so how can we measure them. End of rant!
        KW x
        Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Keep, a guideline to start from would be nice, just saying.

Comment

Cyclefan, there are moderate drinking guidelines published in the back of the MWO book. One 5 oz. glass of wine per day for a woman, or two for a man. One bottle of wine = 5 glasses.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Thanks Sunbeam. I'm a bourbon drinker. I didn't see any guidelines for spirits.

Comment

one glass a day for a woman, thats exactly my point! sorry cycle i wasnt ranting at you just the government hung up on units when they do not set them within other criteria like they do for blood pressure, etc etc. surely its about assessing individual risk, and taking other lifestlye factors into account.

my great granma had a whiskey every lunch time, two large glasses of red wine every evening, ate a fantastic healthy diet, walked every day, and lived until she was 97, bright as a button and a joy to be with.
                Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

KW! Pour me another...

...Sydney, January 21 (ANI): The Australian wine industry says that new drinking guidelines, which recommend limiting liquor consumption to two standard drinks a day for women and four for men, are wrong because they do not take into account the physiological and biological differences in people.
                  The reaction from the Winemakers Federation of Australia (WFA) is against the draft guidelines released by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) for public consultation.
                  The federation insists that the guidelines, which reduce by half the recommended liquor intake for men, are based on insufficient evidence.
                  ?The existing guidelines recommend two standard drinks per day for women and four for men. This difference takes into account gender differences in the distribution and elimination of alcohol in the human body and gender differences in the biological effects of alcohol on the human body,? news.com.au quoted WFA chief executive Stephen Strachan as saying.
                  ?The draft guidelines do not take physiological and biological differences into account and recommend an upper limit of two standard drinks per day for both men and women,? he added.
                  Strachan the benefits associated with moderate alcohol consumption had been ignored while drafting the guidelines.
                  ?The weight of accumulated medical evidence in support of benefits associated with moderate consumption is overwhelming and any omission of these factors is a glaring inadequacy, he said.
                  ?The combined impact of this omission and the dramatic reduction in the daily recommendation will simply leave consumers confused and distrustful,? he added.
                  The NHMRC is likely to publish final guidelines in March or April. (ANI)
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

I agree -- everything in MODERATION!!

Cyclefan, i can understand your frustration with regards to what the guidelines are. I have found that there are various opinions globally about what is a safe al intake. Here in SA our guidelines are a lot highter than say the UK.

Have a look at the drinkaware website, Drinkaware which is UK based but I found very helpful. It will give you the units for almost every type of alcohol as well as different size glasses so you are really getting an accurate unit reading. It also takes into accound the different AL % between wines.
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I find it safer just to stick to one glass of wine...

That way there is no confusion. I use the same glass every day, all the time..

An abstainer might say,"Why make it difficult or split hairs? Just quit!
                      In moderation, I would say, instead of seeing HOW MUCH I can drink within the guidelines; I see how LITTLE I can drink and still be satisfied...
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Thanks deebee, and congrats on your reading. as soon as my liver enzymes are back to normal, i may consider modding.

funny about the glass kid. mid summer i accidentally broke my favorite drinks glass. i never had to measure with that glass, i always could pour a perfect shot. after the breakage, no glass was ever as perfect, i would either pour too much or too little.

Comment

The guidelines in my opinion are ridiculous. The reason why a large perecent of people drink is to get a buzz and to decompress from the buzz they get from alcohol.

Now if you are a light drinker and a woman and you start off with one 5 OZ glass a day and you continue to do so for an extended period of time, eventually your tolerance will increase and you will need more.
                          This also works with sweets and some fatty foods and carbs.
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Kid Shelleen;498514 wrote: That way there is no confusion. I use the same glass every day, all the time..

An abstainer might say,"Why make it difficult or split hairs? Just quit!
                            In moderation, I would say, instead of seeing HOW MUCH I can drink within the guidelines; I see how LITTLE I can drink and still be satisfied...
                            does that thing get refilled?
                            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Just once...

I refill it just once per day...:H
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                              X