Daily AF Thread - Friday December 19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around here we have a department store called Carson's, and their Christmas jingle is 'Give More, Give Joy - Give Joy, Give More..' and is just made me think about how the holiday season can be so focused on excess. According to the retailer, happiness can be achieved by simply giving more gifts - God if only life were that simple. In fact, everything around the holiday is about more, right? More presents, more food, more booze, more merriment.... and it can be difficult if not impossible to step back and remember the true meaning of Christmas.

I always think to 'A Charlie Brown Chirstmas' and the speech that Linus made. I know that not everyone is spiritual here but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKk9rv2hUfA[/video]]YouTube - Charlie Brown Christmas

Anyway, made it through the storm without issues - turned out not to be as bad as they were forecasting it to be. Here's hoping that everyone finds the Christmas spirit that they are looking for as we rapidly approach the 25th, and Cinders I am hoping that you made it home okay! Start my Chirstmas vacation at Noon today and am off through all of next week so the hours can't go by fast enough (my Mom and niece fly in from Nebraska tonight).

Take care everyone!
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Lots of ice, very little snow. The good news is we still have power, for now anyway. Kids are home from school, wow do they eat a lot. It’s going to be a hairy day. I need to get some activities going before they make me crazy. Be safe all, nat
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Love Linus' soliloquy (sp? or even proper usage -- haven't used or heard the word in ages).

We are still getting dumped on pretty hard with the snow and wind -- but things are expected to taper off as the morning goes on. So it will be 12" or more for sure. Then we have the "time the plow" game (don't clear the driveway right before the snow plow fills it back up again). That game used to mean so much more when we only used shovels and not a snowblower, but the game is still played.

I certainly used to get caught up in many of the excesses of the season. (Used to overbuy gifts, make it to every party, and on and on) Many things have conspired, my own choices and foibles and issues, principally, to bring me to a ... less ... hmmm, .... commercial or something, persepective on things. In some ways the season is less magical. In other ways, more significant to me now, the season is much more magical. It's just different than it used to be for me. I was always a kid and refused to let go of some of the recklessness (and yes, innocence with that) of childhood. Letting go of alcohol has, among many other things, sort of pushed me into growing up. Much of the innocence I took from myself, or stopped pretending I had.

Nowadays most all my magic comes through children -- their reactions and anticipations and wonder and reflections on what Linus has to say to us all.

Have a great day all.

Comment

Good morning! Getting ready for another arctic blast today--that and the tv man!
        AA--Charlie Brown Christmas is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! Last year I was obsessed with it! I watched it, made my kids watch it, centered my Christmas decorations around it (Bought the Peanuts Gang for my front yard). Sent the scripture verse in my Christmas cards....
        This year, I made the kids watch it, we watched it at Sunday school.....AND, the movie will be one of my gifts I'm pretty sure!!! "That's what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown!"

I've been super busy. Once in awhile a craving hits me out of the blue--there are so many things I used to do while drinking/smoking. Like getting my Christmas cards ready to send. Or after shopping. Sometimes I think it was just hunger or thirst--so I eat!!
        The good news is, hubby has not been drinking either. No big announcement, just hasn't been drinking, which has been really nice!

I'm really looking forward to Christmas, but really hate the letdown when its all over.

Hope everyone has a great day/weekend! :h
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hello Everyone!
          At our house, the spirit is much more present than presents. We do a Sub for Santa for needy family (or families) each year, and on Christmas eve gather at one house or another for dinner and family gathering. Then on Christmas AM the kids and grandkids come over and the grandkids open the presents from Granny and Grandpa, then we have a pretty quiet day for the afternoon. Instead of gifts for far-away relatives, we make a donation in their names to the American Cancer Society, as it seems all of our familes have been affected in one or another manner by cancer.
          BHOG
          War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I haven't had any cravings of late. Every now & then an AL thought will hit, but I've found ways to neutralize them. I just know that everything I used to do w/a drink in hand that I now do w/a cup of tea in hand is a step in the right direction. We're bracing for the snow from the west. Snow days were drink days for me. Not so, today. I have plenty of plans which include some recovery reading.

Re: the Holiday Madness: I haven't had that this year. I've simplified my gift list. My husb & I don't buy each other very much if at all. I always get clothes for the g-kids...mostly their outerwear. Their parents know what toys to get. My biggest activity is cooking & baking which I love. We support our local food banks & survival centers...that makes me feel more comfortable within myself.

Take care everyone. I loved the discussion about control from yesterday's thread, & as always the tools thread is a real winner. I go to it often.

Mary
            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi all! The weather here in Joliet IL was not as bad as predicted either - hopefully everyone is coming out safe and sound and warm from this one. We did get some ice rain, but not as much as predicted and the power is on YEAH! My regular Friday 7AM meeting was cancelled last night, and my Wonder Doc's office called this morning and they are staying closed just to be on the safe side for their employees - so that appointment will be re-scheduled. So...it seems pretty strange to be sitting here at my computer at this time on Friday! I'm going to Curves today but will wait a bit for the road clearing to be further along.

I used to love the excesses of the season. I don't any more. I thought a bit more about this before I started typing my post to figure out exactly (or more closely) when this changed for me. It is not something that coincided with my ditching AL - obviously as this is my first sober holiday season. Back in my "corporate warrier" days I worked hard / played hard. Traveled quite a bit in addition to long hours working, then drinking after work. Overall a fast paced WORK life with little time for home and family - just enough to get by. Somehow I think all the decorations and gifts were my subconscious way of "making up" for what I wasn't giving of myself the rest of the year. Of course I am not talking at all (and probably won't) about the spiritual side of all this - I'm talking about the commercial side of things and also challenging some of the non-spritual "traditions."

Several years ago after leaving that corporate rat race, I noticed more that is beyond my own 4 walls when it comes to Christmas time. I woke up and noticed the very many people who go hungry and cold while me and mine were busy exchanging lots of stuff - and most of it USELESS stuff that ends up in the basement sooner rather than later. While it has not been popular 100% of the time, we have insisted with family that we stop the gift exchange madness among the adults (Christmas is for KIDS!!!) and we give more to charity and suggest that other people give to charity whatever they were planning to give to us. I think the excesses are sadly exemplified by the trampling death of the Walmart worker on Black Friday.

I am also saddened within my in-law side of the family at the immense pressure to "have a get together" regardless of weather conditions, and the many other competing obligations that everyone has. Sadly, the get together MUST occur, and in December, and it feels like something that in the end just gets checked off of a list of way too many things to do.

So...bah humbug I guess! No decorations in my home this year. I love my home and take so much better care of it now that I am sober. I'm a person who prefers things clean and simple so there are hardly any nic nak type things around my house. (nothing against those who like nic naks where I don't!) So not dragging out all the holiday clutter fits for me anyway. I love the view of the snow and ice on the trees looking out all the windows. Natures decorations I guess!

Anyway, just some random thoughts.

AA - I hope your Mom and Niece arrive safely and you have a wonderful week off of work.

Tiresias - I agree that holiday magic surely comes to us through children!

OMW - May your power stay ON which I'm sure will keep more kid activity options open, as well as other modern conveniences!

LVT - I think that's another reason I opted out of holiday decorations this year - because it IS a let down of sorts when it's all over. Of course with no kids I get the flexibility to go whatever way I wish on that! Glad to hear that hubby is choosing not to drink. I'm sure that makes things easier for you to keep up your choice, and hopefully it's nice for the two of you to be on the "same playing field" if you know what I mean, and I'm sure you do!!

Happy Friday everyone. Stay warm and drive safe. And if you are in a part of the world where it is summer now (Aunty Mame? Veritas?) or perpetual summer like California, I'm pea green!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Oops - of course I missed some posts while writing yet another novella. Hi BHOG - Your Christmas plans sound just right to me! (not suggesting what anyone should or shouldn't do - just sayin' that the BHOG plan is a type of plan that I personally like...)

Mary, sounds like you have gone through a simplification process too. I can relate! I like the cooking part too. This week I have been busy in the kitchen trying out sugar free / gluten free and some even those + egg free recipes to FOIST on my unsuspecting relatives!!!

Also - I meant to mention in post #1 today thoughts for Cindi and hopes that she is home - or at least safely on her way.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I love the tone of the thread this morning; Christmas is about a gift, the gift of God's unconditional love. Giving freely of your blessings and being compassionate to others is very important. The older and more mature I become, the more I appreciate the simple blessings...especially during this season.
                  Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

DG, this site has a lot of GF recipes and others

Living Without Magazine - Gluten free Recipes

Comment

Yes, Cindi, I too hope you are safe at home. I know the midwest was pretty dicey. Now the northeast is going to be hit. Mary
                      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

"Christmas is about a gift, the gift of God's unconditional love. Giving freely of your blessings and being compassionate to others is very important. The older and more mature I become, the more I appreciate the simple blessings...especially during this season."

It is still a little hard for me to not get carried away with the gifts, etc. But I think it is about balance too. When I was working full time, I didn't have time to enjoy the holidays. I'm not really a baker, but my mom was, so I like reliving the traditions by attempting (poorly in some cases) to do the same things she did for us. But we've also added some new traditions which include giving to and doing for others less fortunate than we are. I have been really impressed with the generosity of our small community this year. The local food pantry is overflowing, there is an abundance of gifts for the needy, the mitten tree is loaded down with warm attire. You would think with our economy the way it is people would be giving less instead of more. I do think the attitudes are changing for the better, at least in our area!

DG--sometimes I wonder why I bother with all the decorations, etc. But it's fun for the kids, and we enjoy them too. I think I need to cut back a little though!! I'm one of those that has too much stuff!!! It is especially difficult for me taking things down as it seems like yesterday I had to do that after my mom passed away--that was when I had my meltdown.
                        But, on the other hand I am looking forward to surprising my sister for her birthday this year.
                        Ok, better quit rambling and get busy!!:h
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I hope you are all well today.

I am sober...totally AF, and depressed as hell. I don't know why. I feel like utter shite.

Too bad AL isn't my only problem, obviously I have other things to address.
                          Depression.
                          Chronic Pain.
                          Low self esteem.

One battle at a time I guess.
                          blah....fits me to a tee today.

Sorry...needed to vent. *sigh

K
                          Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Keeta,
                            Hugs to you, girl, I hope you feel better soon. Go ahead and vent!
                            BHOG
                            War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

Keeta, so sorry you are feeling down in the dumps. In my past experience, the ups and downs come with the early stages of sobriety. Hang tight, it will subside. However, if you continue feeling down, do see your doctor, OK?

A big congrats for your 30 days though! Shite, I haven't even done a full 30 days in months! I so need to get my crap together and really commit to a AF life.

Sending you strength and love. XOXO

Comment

Working...
                              X