• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Saturday December 20

Marking and running!!!

DG

ETA:

Good morning AbLandLubbers and happy Saturday - or Sunday already in some parts?? Keeta I hope you are feeling a bit better today. There are certainly some ups and downs that come with giving up booze. ITA with Deter on cutting out sugar and adding exercise if you haven't already done that. Also, I just finished an interesting book called The Diet Cure by Julia Ross and alcohol dependence is heavily featured. She links depression to a deficiency of the amino acid L-Tyrosine and/or Omega 3 fish oil, and/or low thyroid and/or low adrenals. Just some stuff to look into if the cloud doesn't lift. Hang in there! As WIP said, drinking will only make whatever you are feeling worse - not better.

A big reach out to anyone else who is struggling!

I really need to find a way to stop the anxiety over my in-law get togethers. They will happen and pass whether I worry for days over them or not. I'd much rather treat them lightly, knowing they will soon be over, than to go through the mental gymnastics I do, which only serve to add stress to ME and do nothing to change the circumstances. Mean time, I will be glad when tomorrows festivities are over. Bah Humbug.

OK - now that I've got THAT off my chest!!! Curves was closed yesterday so I'm loaded for bear for a good workout today. I need to store up some endorphin power for the family thing tomorrow!!!! I may have posted this yesterday and if so I'm sorry for the repeat. (getting old don't ya know!) Today's kitchen creation will be these. Healthy Indulgences: Twelve Days of Baking: Honey Nut Cookies and How To Make Almond Flour I will be making a slight break from my NO sugar rule by using some raw honey. But since we have some here...... yum yum.

The other thing I will say about kitchen creations is that even sugar free, I need not be making fudge very often! Portion control is just too much. But if you don't believe me and want to find out for yourself, this is a reasonably good sugar free peanut butter fudge recipe. Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes I used a combination of Erythritol and stevia instead of Splenda. The protein powder gives it a certain texture that is noticeable, but it's what makes it as close as possible to the texture of real fudge. Trust me...it "grew" on me fast. Mr. Doggy likes it too and he's not committed to "sugar free" so is rather picky about what sugar free stuff he likes.

My 7 month soberversary is on Monday and I'm very excited about that! Whining about my in-laws aside (if that's my worst problem I have it pretty good) I am truly blessed and VERY happy to be here and sober with all of your help and support.

Talk about a randomly wandering post!! Oh well......

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Doggygirl;499521 wrote: Marking and running!!!

DG
    A risk, indeed.

Sniffing. But meandering away until later.

Comment

Tiresias;499525 wrote: A risk, indeed.

Sniffing. But meandering away until later.
      :H:H:H
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;499539 wrote: :H:H:H

Hey, I'm the doggy with the nose searching and moving in whatever direction will help me.

You are a five star attraction for the nose. As is every contibruter to this and related threads.

I was just foolin' when I marked your mark. Carry on.

T

Comment

DG ~~ I'm NOT the library book on how to handle "that" kind of deal.

I.... I .... would approach it this way. Inlaws are a given (but not FORgiven for being [edited for too late at night thoughts] dummies. Check.

Imagine the nakedness. Stand above and in front of, and review the troops.

About 50 deep breaths. Then, slowly, with confidence, .... strut indo the foray.

Get talked into supervising the snow removal.

Comment

DG and Tiresias, good morning to you both. T., nice advice. DG, I understand... What T. says is good. I suppose it never really gets easy, though, does it? Damn!

DG, 7 months on Monday! Fabulous... you're a great example and mentor for me. As you know, I'm exactly 2 months behind you. It's been wonderful to celebrate those milestones with you, every month!

Sorry to say that I am feeling uneasy around here right now, talking about myself and my life. I will be keeping a very low, or even silent, profile for a while. The world of online support groups is very strange. I had hoped I could feel reasonably safe here at MWO if I stayed almost entirely on a couple of threads (primarily this one).

Of course, the idea that the world, or any part of it, is "safe" is just a fiction we create in our minds to enable us to function... Without it, we'd all be curled in fetal positions, all the time! Yet, some situations are obviously more risky than others, and we do get to make choices about how much discomfort or danger we are willing to, or must, expose ourselves to at any particular time.

This is a fantastic thread.

Comment

DG, thanks for getting us started this morning and congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. That is a tremendous accomplishment!

Yeah, dealing with people, especially in-laws, can be difficult when they don't act the way the way we want them to, right? You've got the right idea in that no matter how much time you spend thinking about it things will still happen the way that they are supposed to. It is the letting go and accepting that is difficult sometimes, as we often want to try and control what happens (cause we think we will be happy when we do). Just remember it is for one day, right? You can get through one day with a smile on your face!

Busy day today - have karate graduation, my Mom and niece are in town and we have my wife's family Christmas party tonight! I know if the past that I would have been stressed about all this and would have made sure I had a good-sized bottle of vodka waiting for me tonight. Now, as crazy as it sounds, I look forward to being busy like this and seeing friends and family!!

Hope everyone has a great day!
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Good morning abbers! Man, I have been up since 2am with my little one. Just one of those nights where there is a touch of insomnia around here.

DG - I am so thrilled for you! Congrats on your 7 months come Monday!

Tiresias - Happy Saturday!

AA - you sound busy!

WIP - sorry you are feeling the way that you are feeling right now. I do have some idea why, and I don't think you should let it deter you from having a place to post. I have felt the same as you are feeling on a couple of occasions. Almost to the point of deleting many of my posts because I felt I gave too much of me and my personal life here. You are right, there is no place that is absolutely safe in this world.

I just looked at the chair and my little one has finally fell asleep. Yippee! I think I may just have another coffee and enjoy the peace this fine, early morning. We are embarking on a snow storm over the weekend, so I think I will get some sleep later and prepare for this oncoming weather.

Have a great Saturday all!

Comment

Morning AFM - great to see you but sorry that you have been up so long, you must be exhausted!

WIP, I'm sorry that you are so down right now, but you're right that we can't live in a bubble. Would be a whole lot safer but would grow dull rather quickly. I for one hope that you keep posting about what is going on in your life and also hope you understand that you are always welcome in this thread.
                  Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Hi everyone

quick check in from me - lots to do today.

Didn't have chance to log on yesterday so catching up on the threads - was at work and then went out with a few friends in the evening - I was the only none drinker. We went out for a curry and i had a couple of AF lagers. One or two people asked me why i was not drinking - just said i'd stopped for a while as I felt healthier without it and also stopping helped me lose weight. No-one seemed that bothered / interested until the end when they were happy to use me as a taxi service to drop them off individually after! People seemed really silly and giggly and laughing over things that just weren't funny when they'd been drinking!?!? I did enjoy my evening though - that's another festive function out of the way without alcohol!

Still got things to do like wrap presents, decorate the christmas tree etc etc. My mum comes down for Christmas tomorrow - she barely drinks and thought I consumed far too much previously so this should help! Am still a bit anxious about getting through the festivities sober but i'm taking it just one event / day at a time.

DG and WIP congratulations on your 7 / 5 month sober anniversary's - that's fantastic - I presume that at this stage you just count the months not the individual days now? You are both an inspiration to me. Today is day 48 of this current AF stretch. I shall count individual days certainly til I get past day 108 (my record to date) - possibly until I reach 6 months. Then I shall probably count months.

Have a good AF day everyone and I'll check back later.

Sausage x

Everyone have a good day and i'll check back later

Comment

Wippy: I also thought if you stuck to this thread, everything would clear up. Please pop in & share. I love your thoughts...I really do. Also, congrats on the 5 mos. I think you're wonderful.

DG: Likewise cudos on the 7 month mark. You're great! As for the inlaws: I've got them too, & they're a wild bunch. Last time we got together was Thanksg. I planned a great meal, & then tried to let go of the outcome. There was stuff going on around me...fueds, feelings, etc., but I just kept my head down & did what I had to do to host the whole thing.

Mary
                      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

DG: Additionally, on Thanksg, I concentrated on what I most enjoy:
                        -the kids & puppy having fun! They rise above all tension, strain, & over-drinking.
                        -eating.
                        -creating a beautiful meal & get-together.

After the whole dinner was over & everyone was gone, as we were cleaning up, I noticed the waste bin was FULL of empty wine bottles & beer cans. I didn't even notice all the drinking. I think it helped to just tell myself to LET GO.

Good luck. Remember that the holiday is supposed to be for you & your husb too. If this is difficult for you, it's probably twice as difficult for him. I know my husb's family puts him on edge. We had a long talk about it ahead of time. I noticed my husb concentrating on helping out & playing w/the kids, rather than entering into the drama of the day.

What can I say? In-laws are a part of life. After 37 years w/them, I'm much more sanguine about them.

Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

WIP: If you ever want to PM me, please feel free to do so. Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Good morning-albeit late-all!
                            Boy did it feel great to sleep in today! I'll have to be careful to not let this become a habit over the long Christmas break!:H
                            I had a really frustrating day yesterday. Waited all day for the tv guys to show up. Called the company twice--was given false promises. I don't understand how these big companies can operate this way. When asked why I hadn't received a courtesy call--was simply told I don't know.....Grrr. Then my son came home sick (vomiting/diarrhea). Always feels so bad for them! I hope the rest of us can avoid it. One year I had to take my son to the ER on Christmas Eve for fluids and an anti-emetic. I had it too! Yuck!
                            I was thinking when I had to drive into town to pick up my oldest son last night--how I wouldn't have even let him stay in town for the BB game, because I would have been too drunk to go pick him up--Friday night and all! Sober is so much better!!
                            My in-laws aren't bad, I'm pretty lucky. But they do love to drink, and they can do some things to get on my nerves...but I know i shouldn't complain, because it could be so much worse!
                            WIP--stay with us!
                            Have a great day/weekend all!:h
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Happy Saturday ABerooooonies far and wide!!!!

it's a glorious sunny day on the snow here in the high frozen desert. Sipping coffee and eating cookies (um...I mean carbo-loading for todays jiu jitsu class!).

DoggyGirl, thanks for the loverly mark this morning.

AWIP, please know you are very respected here and have a ton of solid friends watching your back ok?

LVT, I hate to say it but get used to huge useless companies lethargically wasting your time and money....as our gov owns or runs more of our industry it's going to get much worse.... eeeeeeek!

ok, where was I....

AAth, karate graduation? your son? very cool

AFM, wow, it's been a while! glad you are back in the AF scene....sleep will come soon. for me it always takes a good week or so.

Mary, love this line of yours: I think it helped to just tell myself to LET GO.

Tiresias, LOL!

Sausage, congrats for being the designated driver and still having a fun night. double win!

well I'm off to get ready for jiu jitsu, then I have an emergency trauma/EMT class to attend this evening and all day tomorrow. At the rate I hurt myself it's probably money and time well spent!!

be well me loverlies and all to come
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X