Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, July 23

Good Morning, Absville!
    Well, I know it's been said before but I am just constantly overwhelmed by the stories people share on these boards...yesterday, I spent the afternoon reading all the new posts--and weeping...first with sadness and then with joy...it's so incredibly sad that people are feeling so hopeless and despairing in their struggle with alcohol--and yet there is so much true joy in seeing people take heart when they come on this site and then seeing those same people begin to offer hope to the next person courageous enough to share their struggle....we are all part of this amazing community of people around the world coming together to help each other...boy, I'm beginning to tear up again...but in a good way, in a good way...thank you, all....

And to all the folks here, congrats on just doing it, on having, well, the GUTS to start this journey--sure there are potholes (and do I know about potholes!), and unexpected detours but, you know, that's how journeys tend to be...not linear but holistic...not what you expected but what you need...

Nancy, thanks for sharing about your friend...it's way past time that we began to honor our elders and listen to their wisdom....

Kim, hope you had a great day with the boys--let us know what they're up to!

Kris, don't let your guests drive you completely bonkers! Sounds like you're doing great in a situation that would have sent me screaming! Check in here for support!

Lori--the beach sounds wonderful...hope you're getting a chance to enjoy it...as for being "trashed"? Better the house than you, right?!!!

Sophia/Carole (or Wise Carole!)--it's great to see you here--and isn't it wonderful to realize just how much money we're saving by not buying cases of wine, kegs of beer and liters of vodka, rum, scotch--whatever!! I keep allowing myself little treats as a reward for not drinking--because I CAN!! And I DESERVE it! When I think of just HOW MUCH I was spending on that dreadful stuff that was literally poisoning my mind and my body, and destroying my life...what WAS I thinking??? Well, I guess I wasn't THINKING at all....

Matt, you're OUR hero!! Thanks for all the great advice you share with us...and how many days have you racked up now, guyfriend??!! Cheering you all the way!

Kathy, love it that you're here with us in Absville! I also spend far too much time here reading (weeping!) and getting inspired--but compared to how much time I spent thinking about wine, getting wine, drinking wine, hiding wine and then recuperating from wine--well, actually there IS no comparison, right??

Deirdre, how was the beach? Or did the rain keep you home? This weather is totally out of control! One minute it's sunny, the next we're having a total MONSOON! On the other hand, at least we still have electricity--unlike thousands of others in the area.....

But you're right--this IS life. This is LIFE! What on earth were we waiting for??!!

Living in LA, jump in anytime! The water's just fine... As for help, that we got lots of around here...

Did I get everyone who popped in yesterday?? If not, I'll catch you tomorrow for sure...

And, I know some folks aren't here (Gabby, I KNOW I saw you somewhere else today! How ya doing, girlfriend??)--and where's Jane?? How's Marcie?? Inquiring minds want to know....:l

Okay, time for bed (now I'm gonna HAVE to sleep in....lol)
    :h
    susan
    (aka, Clever Clogs!! Love, love, love it! Thanks, Bambino!)

It is important to remember that at first flush, going sane feels just like going crazy.
    Julia Cameron
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Saturday, July 23

Hey there Clever Clogs - hee hee

This is too weird getting my head around these time zones. On one thread it says Sat 22, on another it says Sat 23 and on another it says Sun 23 !! Spoooooky. Well it's 10.16 am on sun morn in UK - I'm gonna post my msg on all 3 - I did the sat 22 by accident and then put in on the sat 23 - so might as well go the whole hog and put it on this too - God I'm boring myself now !!!

Good Sunday morning to you all.

I am new to this thread - today is my 5th day of Abstinence with the help of Librium. Down to 3 tablets a day for next 3 days then 2 for 2 days then 1 for last day. then i go it alone !!
    Have ordered the new CD's and the book as well as Kudzu. Also bought super evening primrose when went food shopping yesterday. About these amino acids. - I have a bottle of - it's called 'Miracle Burn@ it's a herbalconccotion with all kinds of root thingies and vit B6 and it says amino acid complex. - do you think it would be ok to take these? I think I might buy the L- Glutamine - do you think it's worth it because I really don't want to go down the campral route. I don't think that th GP's in England are happy about prescribing Topa from what I've read of other poeples posts - I'd rather just stay herbal.
    As for abstinence. I cannot go any other way. I've fooled myself in the past that 1 glass of wine want harm - and have even popped into the pub ( on my own) aaahhh when I was abstaining , whilst out shopping and although just stopped at the one there - NEEDED to stop at the off licence on the way home and buy a bottle, then thought what the hell, it's buy 2 get one free - ' it's makes more sense' !!! I told myself. Back on that slippery slope again !! So for me it's all of nothing.
    I envy people who can take it and then just leave it but I need more more and more. So this thread is exactly wahat I need to help me keep on that straight and narrow. Just had a cup of coffee - would LURVE a glass oh wine tho !!!
    Keep up the good work.
    Love and hugs on this beautiful sunny morning.
    Bambino
    xxx :h

p.s Jane I'm so sorry about your doggie. I have 2 Jack Russells - You must be devastated. Kiss Kiss
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Saturday, July 23

Sorry Absville--after spending HOURS typing the thread for today ("Sunday, June 23") I called it "Saturday, June 23"......:s

On the other hand, for me, it SEEMED like Saturday since I was still up!

Hope everyone's having a great AF day! I'm now going to COPY the post to the right day!!
      :h and :l
      susan

Comment

Saturday, July 23

Hi Abs friends,

Thanks Susan for your ever considerate acknowledgements of all of us you are a sweetheart.

Welcome to Bambino and Sohpia:w Yeah the more the merrier!

Can I share a story with you guys that describes perfectly why two are always better than one in this endeavor? Yesterday I had this wedding to go to and was really looking forward to it. Good friends of ours' daughter married a great guy. First my husband said he didn't want to go, then he wanted to wear shorts, whine whine whine.... Such a nice outdoor ceremony beautiful entrance, decorations, food, cake, VERY festive. Not two minutes after the couple said "I do", my husband started to walk to the car. Of course I was welcome to stay and get a ride home I greeted the happy couple and rode home a very sad wife. I hated leaving because of my husband's anti-social personality. We can't have couples for friends becuse HE doesn't need or want any. I like people and have lots of friends, but our social married life is non-existant. I cried silently all the way home, then lost it in my bedroom when home.

Now for the way out. I called a friend of mine who went through treatment six months ago but doesn't do meetings. We talk everyday on the phone since she lives with a fairly unsupportive drinker too. Of course I was pretty upset while talking to her and just about to say F-it. She made me feel a little better then we hung up. A minute or two later, she called back and suggested we go to the reception together (she knew the family too). I said, Well I can sit here having a pity party or go with her and have fun. Well we did go and we both had a sober BLAST. I'm sure everyone there expected us to make asses of ourselves as usual (it's a very small town) But we didn't! We danced to our friend's band and watched OTHER people make asses of themselves.

So there you go. We both helped eachother more than we know. YOU all here help me more than YOU know. I love and appreciate something in every post. It all is important, good, bad or ugly.

Thanks for letting me share that with you.

Love,
        Lori
        Thanks for reading this longwinded but very therapeutic note

Comment

Saturday, July 23

Hey Lori--Good for you!! Yeah, it's great to have some support--your friend sounds terrific! Sorry your husband can't be more "there" for you--it seems, though, like a lot of folks on here have a similar problem, and it's a damn shame! Keep checking in with your chums here! :l

Now, girlfriend, PLEASE copy your post to the thread called "Sunday, July 23"--I misnamed this one as "Saturday" last night, and now we've got two threads going for today--sorry, my bad...:s You'll get more feedback if you copy it there as well...PLUS, there are some other great posts for our fellow absville inhabitants....

:h
          susan

Comment

Saturday, July 23

Thanks Susan

Done deal

Comment

Working...
            X