Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread for December 22, 2008

* "Cross my heart,and hope to die;Stick a needle in my eye.."
    * Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
    (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)
    Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

>Jamms,Lila,Sunbeam: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday

>Sara: Monday and Tuesday

Use this form or start a new thread

for any pacts you want to start.

ANYONE ELSE??
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

OK! Up and at 'em!

HEY NOW, FOLKS!
    Those presents aren't going to wrap themselves!
    Where is everybody???
    ~kID~

A little reminder: Be careful this season if you want to "moderate". I found that it is easy to be caught off guard. We went out of town to celebrate our wedding anniversary this past weekend. The first night I simply wandered into the evening with the vague notion of "not drinking too much"...I split a glass of wine with my wife and nibbled hors d'oeuvres getting ready to go out. We got to our little party and I had no urge to go for the "mystery punch" but amazingly I managed to win a bottle of champagne during some party/dance game. I gave the bottle to my partner (who wasn't my wife), she offered me a half-glass while opening it graciously for the crowd. So far, not too bad...After the party, my wife wanted some "real food". We stopped at a bistro and I had a martini and some shrimp...why? I didn't need it.. We got back to the room and there was another martini I had actually ordered when my wife had ordered her glass of wine earlier, which arrived late (compliments of the manager)...down the hatch. Why? I didn't need this
    one either-I felt fine!
    Because I didn't plan well; I managed to have 4 drinks in the evening instead of my preferred 1 or 2. It wasn't terrible, but I fell asleep immediately after the hot tub, leaving my wife awake and deprived of some romance (I made up for all this the next night, don't worry )
    The point is: PLAN AHEAD BEFORE YOUR PARTIES THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!
    Have fun,
    ~Kid~

PS: I planned better for Saturday night. My wife even offered me extra drinks to "help my sore knee" while we were dancing. I just smiled at her and asked if she was trying to get me drunk and take advantage of me. She looked sheepish and said she was sorry. She needn't have been. I had one slowly enjoyed drink and was feeling quite pleasant. We danced til midnight.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hiya Kid, I know what you mean, the boards have been very quiet lately....
      I am not a modder (cant do that) but I do like to pop in here and say Hi to all you lovely people...
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Good Morning Kid! And hello modders and visitors!

I was away for the weekend...back late last night and just crashed. We had two major snow storms this weekend, so the kids have no school today, and I've cancelled my work appointments. I love to see the kids' excitement when they find out it's a snow day...Brings me right back to my own childhood.

I haven't had a chance to catch up on what I missed over the weekend, but I will. I did fine...Two glasses of wine on Saturday as planned, and a surprising hitch on Sunday. Sunday morning was our early Christmas with my in-laws (the real thing will be at home, followed by a visit to my mom's to meet up with my sibs and their kids). My sister in law had sent a package including a bottle of liquer she had concocoted, soaking fresh, organic raspberries in vodka for a couple of months, and I suppose adding sugar, since it was lightly sweet. It was only 9:30 am, but my husband and I each tried a swig, and it was delicious! I took a second sip, and started to feel a tiny buzz, just off of that. Then I found myself wanting more...At 9:30 am ! Fortunately, I would have been far too embarassed to drink any more then and there, but I did put some in my hot cocoa later in the day, and several hours later had three glasses of wine over appetizers, cooking with my mother in law and having a leisurely dinner with the family. My husband had nothing to drink, and drove us home safely late last night.

So...I exceeded my self-imposed limits, and the vampire feeling did come out. But I'm actually okay with it. I got a little buzzed, but definitely not drunk, have full memory of the evening and no hangover today. I'm putting it down to a special occassion, and tons of food to absorb the booze helped temper the effects.

I'm thinking about doing phase one of the South Beach Diet, starting January 1. It forbids any alcohol for two weeks, and I think that would be a good way for me to start the year. I'm not making any promises yet, just pondering....If I do it, perhaps I'll start a thread and see if anyone wants to keep me company.

I hope everyone else is well...I'm going now to search out last week's thread and get caught up. (Guess I should have done that first!) See you later. Sara
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi Startingover!..Sara, read my last post again!

I was editing while you were posting.. Welcome home! We missed you!
          I had internet in the hotel room and didn't miss a beat.
          ~Kid~
          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Okay, I did a quick read to catch up. I'm in for AF tonight (Monday) and tomorrow. Wednesday night I'm cooking leg of lamb and artichokes for Christmas eve dinner, so I plan on having two glasses of red wine that night. Then Christmas, Friday and Saturday I'll moderate, and be AF Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, then moderate on New Year's eve, and begin two weeks AF (yikes) on January 1. I think.
            "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hey all!

I haven't had a chance to catch up on the weekend news, but just a quick pop-in to say hi. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a moment to myself to say a proper hello!

Hugs to all!
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Okay, guys, I just had a wonderful kick in the butt from Kid via PM, pointing out the red flags in my last post. (Kid, thanks for the discretion, but I wouldn't have minded if you'd pointed them out here.) I thought I should mention this, and if anyone else wants to play the "find the red flags" game, be my guest. It might be a useful exercise.

Now I want to add the important detail that when I say I will "moderate" on Christmas, Friday and Saturday, I am committing to a two drink minimum. I don't want to take any chances that I will have a blurry Christmas with my family, and I don't want to feed the vampire beast within, and encourage her to keep escalating the drinking.

Off to bundle the kids up for sledding. No raspberry vodka in my hot cocoa later today, I promise. Sara

Comment

Hi everybody,
                  Traffic is a little slow here, isn't it? Sara, my plan for the upcoming holiday is no worse than yours, but I know there will be very limited wine available, and it will be controlled by my loving husband, which is a good thing. His family really doesn't drink much.

I had a thought today: do we often have a drink because we have forgotten how to relax without alcohol? I feel like I did struggle with that, though I think I'm OK now. Just wondering what others think.

take care, all.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

hi all, just checking in. Had a lovely evening yesterday, went for a fabulous meal with hubby as our christmas present to each other to a michein star restaurant, is was brilliant, champagne on arrival, glass of chablis then bottle of tempranillo with main course. delightful i have to say, was asked if i would llike liquer with coffee and before mwo would have just been getting started and said '- o yes! but i said no thank you coffee is just fine, then drank 3 glases of still water with ice and lime whilst some were having brandys and this morning when i woke up feeling great i though now thats what i call moderation, a wonderful evening, romance and no hangover!! AF to-day but out with friends tomorrow evening so will have a glass of something and will moderate right though to new years, i abhore being drunk so will not go there. SS i am not a fan of south beach as i dont think its healthy but i will be doing weightwatchers as from 01/01/09. Problem is i have a girlie pampering weekend from 9th - 12 th jan which will involve some but not much A, that is the only time i will drink in January as i want to loose at least ten pounds for when i go on holiday in feb. Gonna be a tough month but will be so worth it to feel in control! happy christmas to all of you i almost cant wait for new year just to join start a new pact and get started but this time with family is so precious so will indulge in that for a while.
                    PS: i havent forgotten how to relax without A, just slip morcheeba into the cd player and i am floating on a cloud x
                    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Whats morcheeba, Keeps?
                      Toughen up!

Comment

its a fabulous chillout cd, go on amazon and have a look, i promise its music to make you feel like a marshmallow in no time. enjoy xx

Comment

keepwalking;501204 wrote: its a fabulous chillout cd, go on amazon and have a look, i promise its music to make you feel like a marshmallow in no time. enjoy xx
                          Wow, I am glad I check in on you modders once in a while, I had never heard of Morcheeba! I just went onto iTunes, listened to a bit, and immediately bought the "Who Can You Trust" album. Fantastic, interesting sound! Thanks KW!

Comment

WIP - hi xxxxx its a brillian cd and my absolute fav is ------ its all part of a process.......... just like mwo sorry but you will have to buy the parts of a process cd too. Havnt been back to smart since i found mod squad do you still go there??

Comment

Morcheeba...

I don't have any of their CDs either, KW...If I only bought ONE, would you recommend their music before or after Skye Edwards left the group??
                              And are "Michein" endorsed restaurants as good as "Michelin" starred restaurants?
                              :scratchinhead:
                              Never mind..You and WIP sort of answered my question about Morcheeba as I was
                              S L O W L Y typing away!!
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                              X