Dry: A Memoir - Augusten Burroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It?s taken me a few days to be able to write about this book. But, that?s Augusten Burroughs for you, brilliant and thought-provoking.

I loved Running With Scissors. I laughed out loud and, quite honestly, I also loved the fact that Augusten had a much more messed-up childhood than I did. Then I read his A Wolf at the Table and was so devestated after I read the book I told myself I?d never read another of his books again. There was less humor in this book, it was just so damn sad and depressing.

I had to try Dry because of the subject matter. Drinking. Alcoholism. Rehabilitation. Relapse. To say it?s a fantastic book doesn't give it justice. Augusten goes through the classic stages of being an alcoholic. Knowing he has a problem, but it?s not really that bad. I love this part at the beginning, I remember feeling like this. In essesence the good 'ol ?It?s not fair!? or "Why me?" feeling:

Why does this have to be so complicated? I wish they coiuld just cut your "drinker" out of you. Like having a kidney stone removed. You check into the hospital as an outpatient, get anesthetized from the waist down, they put headphones on you and you listen to Enya. Fifteen minutes later, the doctor lifts the headphones off and shows you the small, turd-colored organ he extracted from somewhere inside you. I see it looking like a snail.
    "Would you like to save it...as a souvenir?"
    "No, Dr. Zizmor, toss it. I don't want any reminder."
    The doctor slaps you on the back on your way out. "Congratulations, you're now a sober man."

He describes alcoholism to perfection. Once he?s reached his 30 days AF, he describes the feelings so well. Of looking normal but not "being" normal.

Like cubic zirconia, I only look real. I?m an imposter. The fact is, I?m not like other people. I?m like other alcoholics?In the shower I think about how I?m a drunk that doesn?t get to drink.

There are several difficult passages to read, flashbacks to his childhood. He begins to understand where his emptiness may have come from. Why he?s trying to fill something, a void. He begins to understand it?s about letting these things go.

?I realize it?s about letting things go and not adding more things?By getting rid of the alcohol, it?s like I have lost this thing that took up so much of my life and caused too many problems, directly and indirectly. You know, the butterfly thing.?
    ?What butterfly thing?? she says.
    ?You kow how when a butterfly beats its wings in the Amazon, this sends a mote of pollen through the air which causes the wild boar in wherever to sneeze which creates a breeze which, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, all ends up affecting traffic in LA or something?I just feel like I have less baggage and so, I don?t know, I?m able to just accept things more, not have to fight them. Don?t fight the river, go with it.?

That?s not even half-way through the book. There was a point toward the end when I put the book down. I thought I wouldn?t be able to bear the end. I thought the author was pulling another A Wolf At My Table
    with me. The next day I picked the book up and finished it.

I?m so glad I did.

In my opinion this memoir is a must read for anyone who is questioning their drinking. Here's a direct link to Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Dry: A Memoir: Augusten Burroughs: Books

Be
    "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Yeah, Be, I agree. A real must-read. Very gritty, very well-written, very real.

Comment

I have been wanting to read this, too; I looked for it at the library but couldn't remember his 1st name at the time. Will check again.

Comment

A superb book, he is a brilliant writer.
        I have just bought Possible Side Effects by him too.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I loved this book....so profound, his outlook on alcohol...so easy to relate to. A must read...I think I will re-read it over the holidays. Thanks for the reminder.

R2C
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
          :h

Comment

I have read this book so many times. I JUST LOVE IT.

Comment

I have also read/listened to this book several times. It's amazing.
              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Excellent book. I read it ages ago but one phrase has stayed with me, when he says he's "drinking coffee alcoholically", meaning that he's swigging back cup after cup after cup for hours, the same way he drank alcohol.
                I do that too sometimes (with tea for me), "normal" people don't.
                Must get it out of the library again.
                sigpic
                AF since December 22nd 2008
                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Be - I thought it was going to end horribly badly too!
                  sigpic
                  AF since December 22nd 2008
                  Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Marshy,

I know! I literally put it down with tears in my eyes, furious at him. Absolutely furious. I'm so glad I picked it back up! Can you imagine being able to write like that? Being able to sir feelings and grab people? What a gift.
                    "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

I've just read this as well. I read it quickly as I was really hoping it had a 'happy' ending, in fact I needed it to end well. I'm going to re read it and enjoy it this time. I think my kids have an idea of what's going on with me as they've commented on my choice of reading material, but I'm not ready to share with them yet.
                      Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

I am definately going to look up this author and get the books you have mentioned. I've never heard of him but am an avid reader and am always seeking other thought provoking authors. Some of the quotes were right on.....I would love to have this disease extracted from me....wouldn't we all.
                        Goldie

Comment

i need to read dry again. i remember it making my liver hurt when i read about how much he could drink in a night, and STILL go to work the next day...ugh!

i love augusten burroughs for his wit and dark humor.

Comment

One of the things I appreciated about Dry is that it reminded me of how bad alcoholism can get. I've never drank like he did, but I sure can't say that I wouldn't have ended up there eventually. It was a good motivator to quit before it got to be so bad.
                            FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I just started this (got it from the library). It reminds me a bit of A Million Little Pieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X