Goodbye, Chardonnay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye, Chardonnay

This Christmas Eve, I'm saying goodbye to Chardonnay. It has been my DOC for several years. It goes down my throat like fruit juice, and it goes to my head almost instantly. It is a taste I love, and also a taste that disgusts me, when it is stale in my mouth at 3 am. I can give it up. My youngest child is 5 years old. So I would like to give up Chardonnay until he is 18. Then I can reconsider.

I don't know why this particular wine is so powerful to me. It is the only one I guzzle, and the only one I sneak. It is my nemesis. All I have to do is say goodbye to it...Keep it out of my home, and out of my ordering vocabulary.

I'm not naive enough to think Chardonnay is my only dangerous drink...But it's the worst. And I don't want it anymore.

Just wanted to put it down in black and white. Anyone else want to say goodbye to a particular old "friend"? Goodbye Chardonnay. We're through.
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Very Brave: This is my "friend' too, with whom I stepped out of line so often prior to coming to MWO and the only one who occasionally lures back out on the town. It's an illusion that we can't live without this friend. We can, and live so much better. I applaud your strength.

Ask

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Sara
      I am saying good bye too. The pact we made was very easy to keep. I really feel like I am turning a corner, and am READY to get serious.
      Have to run kids waking up
      Love - merrry christmas
      Lila

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

You are smart to put it in writing.
        I had a similar problem... dumped a bottle down the sink and that is that!
        I just can't take the first sip!

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

I am with u Sara
          I said Good-bye to German beer 52 days ago and I feel so much better, physically, mentally, and spiritually.
          "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Goodbye...

Good move...Stick with it.
            I gave up malt liquor. I used to drink two of those 24oz cans every night. When I started modding I switched eventually to small expensive micro-brews. I'm happier. One night I got nostalgic and picked up a can of the rocket fuel; almost drank a half-can before I dumped the rest. Change is possible.
            ~Kid~
            It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

I wish I could...

1967;502758 wrote: I just can't take the first sip!
              I am SO struggling with that as well. There's the old saying 1 is too many and 1,000 aren't enough.
              I am debating the AF life vs the modding life as I am struggling so hard with making modding work.

Had more drinks than I could track yesterday (surprisingly stayed in control and no-one thought I was drunk) but for whatever reason my body took in more than the acceptable amount for me and I just kept drinking and drinking. And I am plagued with the WHY? Why sometimes can I only have 1 or 2 and be perfectly satisfied and then at other times I turn into the vampire and want more and more.

So, I am saying goodbye to going over my desired limit and if I find I can't do that than I am saying goodbye forever too.
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Same with me with Chardonnay, she used to be my BFF now she's just a bitch.

Congrats and good luck!
                Be
                "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

This has already occurred for me, beginning in October, but it is a good pledge for the New Year:

Good-by to drinking to celebrate the weekend, every weekend. For me, this is not an event that requires alcohol in order for me to enjoy myself. I now enjoy weekends much more, because I don't consume alcohol on most weekends. I have (finally) learned to relax without alcohol.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Good for you Sara! I know (we all do!!) how tough and brave this sort of pledge is. Stick with it and let us know how we can support you through it.

I too was thinking that sometimes... one has to give up what one loves most... quite possibly, it's good for the soul. Tough, but good. And the universe will support you and will send you the energy you need to get through it. I think so.

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Thanks, Zed!
                      I haven't had any chardonnay since I made that pledge...or any white wine for that matter. But to be honest, it's easier in the winter. Red wine seems cozier on a cold day! Now when summer comes, what will I have for a moderate drink of choice?
                      "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Hmmm.... that's something we need to think about. Luckily there is some time before the season changes... So we'll figure something out for you. Cheers

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Hi Sara,

I'm a chardonnay girl as well. One thing I've found helps with my modding is to try different wines, making each one a genuine tasting. Our local shop has 4 featured wines each month with a written description of each. I take their selection, read the material, and plan a menu that would go well with each one. Hubby enjoys the wine with me, and it helps keep it from becoming like soda. I no longer buy the old favorite because it just got too routine and too easy. Hubby also switched to micro brews a couple of years ago, which like the wine, makes each glass more intentional and limited. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right choice for you.

Vera-b

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Hi SaraSmiles, Just joined up and read your Christmas post and it reminded me of a quote from a book I read which I think you would enjoy "Drinking - A Love Story" By Caroline Knapp.ISBN 0 7043 8033 1. The blurb " It happened this way. I fell in love and then because the love was ruining everything I cared about, I had to fall out. I drank. I drank when I was happy and I drank when I was anxious and I drank when I was bored and I drank when I was depressed." I too fell in love with Chardonay, Champagne and then Semillon and now I have fallen out of love. The parting is bittersweet, but it had to happen and I am filled with hope for a healthier, clear headed future.

Comment

Goodbye, Chardonnay

Hi Sara,
                              When summer comes, there will be many moderate choices. My husband always buys wine by the case, usually around $10 per bottle. His wines are very good value, good wine for not too much money. He is currently drinking Kim Crawford Marlborough Savignon Blanc, from New Zealand.
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                              X