Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So worried about my mum... not sure how to help anymore

Hi,
    This is my first time posting on here. My mum is a member and has mentioned how great the site is, so thank you!

I'm so worried about my mum and feel like I'm running out of ideas to help her. She moved back from Spain just over a year ago and has really struggled to cope living on her own for the first time. As well as this she has had numerous things to cope with over the past 6 years. It's no surprise she's struggled to cope.

I try my hardest to empathise and put myself in mums shoes. I feel for her so much. She started drinking in a very bad way this year, since living alone. Drinking had beena problem before but now we live close to each other and she lives alone I've seen a huge difference throughout the year. Mum was drinking around a litre of vodka a day and was so so sad, it was heartbreaking. She then detoxed in May and I was so so proud of her. She saw it through and had a fantastic few weeks. She did end up drinking again and it's been a bit of a cycle since May. She had another medicated detox and also detoxed herself once which was absolutely amazing! I know deep down she desperately wants to get better, otherwise she wouln't bother to stop. For the past couple of months mum has been on and off the drink... having say a week sober and then a few days of drinking huge amounts. I've tried asking her over and over again to please tell me or the nurse who visits her if she starts to feel like she needs a drink. This way we may be able to talk her out of it. But she doesn't talk to us, and just starts to drink again.

Mum was due to spend Christmas with us and had been sober for about 3 weeks. I was so proud of her, she'd even started on Antabuse. It was all looking really positive and then a few days before hristmas she started drinking again. On the morning of Christmas Eve I new she'd had a drink and so asked her to please stop as we (my boyfriend and I) couln't go through Christmas with her drunk. I said this in the hope that she would not have another drink, but instead she decided she wasn't coming for Christmas and she's spent it at home, alone with god knows how many bottles of vodka. I desperately wanted her to come but she wouldn't. I think I made her feel that she was going to ruin our Chrismat and I feel terrible for mentioning the drink. She is still at home alone and I have only just been able to get through to her on the phone and she was so upset and so drunk. I just don't know what to do to help anymore. I live about 30 miles away and visit twice a week. I just can't get over to see her more frequently as I am trying to study. It's affecting my relationship as my boyfriend hates to see me upset.

Jodabee, It hard enough to pull through and deal with Alcoholism when you live in familiar surroundings. When you take some one out of their enviorment it makes things worst. Then they have to deal with adjustments that they did'nt need to deal with before. Why was she moved from Spain ? Someone could'nt care for her ? IAD.
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Jodabee, please stay close to this site...many will want to help but it is VERY SLOW during the holidays.
      Everyone one is on OVERLOAD right now..
      This is a GREAT Place to learn how to cope...
      PM me if I can help you on a more personal level...
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Jodibee, you Mom is very fortunate to have such a loving and caring, and non-judgemental daughter.

You mentioned that there is a nurse who has looked in on her in the past. Do you have a way to contact that person to see if he/she could check on your Mom?

This is such a difficult addiction to battle. And at the end of the day, we each have to do it for ourselves and by ourselves no matter how much our loved ones wish they could do it for us.

Has your Mom considered something like AA? I don't know where you are - there is AA nearly everywhere. There are alternative face to face programs such as SMART Recovery and Women for Sobriety and Rational Recovery. Those programs do have face to face meetings, however they are much smaller organizations than AA, so far far far less meeting locations. But you could look on the internet and see what you can find if she hasn't considered that.

Even if she doesn't subscribe to the AA model 100%, many many people take a "take what you need and leave the rest" approach to AA. And then they benefit from a local, face to face support group in addition to internet and other resources. I'm wondering if AA participation might be good since your Mom must be fairly new to her community and may not have a support system of friends in place? And if she did consider AA it might also give you some peace of mind being 30 minutes away?

Not sure if this is helpful or appropriate but I mainly wanted to reach out to you and let you know that many people here will try their best to help if we can.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I think this is really hard topic to address.

in my opinion, lead your own life. Be happy. Be well.

you are not responsible for your mom.

Help her anyway you can, let her know you love her the way she is. She doesn't have to hide from you. What a gift that would be.

give her articles of things you think would help, but no doubt she knows what is going on for herself. dont ever feel guilty for moving on and livng your own life.

This is going to sound harsh but you need to follow people in your life who think of your best interest: i.e. your boyfriend.

your mom might be in cycles for years. she knows you love her but you are NOT responsible. so live your life.

Comment

What a lucky mum to have you!
            On a similar note to Nancy though, your mum would not want you to jepodise your own relationships. You are in a better position to help your mum if you are happy yourself.
            At the end of the day your mum is the only one who can decide to move forward but it will help her if she knows you love her unconditionally.
            I was thinking too that if you can involve outside support such as a nurse who is not emotionally involved then that would be helpful,
            All the best to you
            Eviexx
            Jesus said"Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
            Take My yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
            For my yolk is easy and My burden is light
            "

Comment

I agree .. until your Mum decides for herself that once and for all she is stopping drinking then nothing you do will stop her ...

You are doing all you can and that is offer support and love, but still you should live your own life too...
              ?We are one another's angels?
              Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Jodi, the one thing that got me about your post was the wishing your mum would tell you when she is going to drink. My partner has a problem with drink and has done now for the past few years. It has gradually got worse over the past 6 months and the one thing i always said to him was to tell me when he was getting urges. He never used to tell me as then i could stop him. So needless to say he would keep it all in and then drink as soon as i went home. I know this is not easy but you have to let your mum make her own way. She is still going to need your support and love, but like others have said she has to want to stop. I have been there and since joining MWO i have realised that my partner will only stop when he wants to and i'm just there when he needs me, which has made a huge difference to our relationship.

If you ever need a chat just PM me.

Love

Wish xx

Comment

Jodi:l:l

How old is your mom and does she have a computer?

Maybe you could guide her here for some support?

Get yourself a good book on healthy boundries (McCloud/Townsend has some)
                  and take steps to do what you can for her but make sure that you can avoid the cycle of alcoholism in your life. This is really the only thing you can control.

No matter how much you do, it will feel to you as if you are a failure, without help for yourself.

We're here and praying for you and your mom.

:hNAncy
                  "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Jodi, this might sound harsh, but I have to say it.

Reading your post reminded me a lot of my dad. I had no childhood. It was ruled by my dad's behaviour. I became the strong one. Thing is, I was never very strong, because I never learnt how to care for myself..

You have to allow your mum to take resposibility. You have to learn how to let go.

Do you even know who you are, Jodi?
                    Do you know how to live outside of addiction?

I am an addict, but I would rather my children left me in the gutter than sacrifice their lives. I accept that if my children leave me, that is their choice.. even though I am an alcoholic, I am still resposble for the consequences of my drinking.

Comment

Yes, I am sad to agree with you Veritas but you are right ... I would prefer my kids had a life than suffering with me ... Thank God I stopped in time ....
                      ?We are one another's angels?
                      Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Thanks

Hi everyone,
                        Thank you so so much for your responses. It is really interesting to get your thoughts, and that you feel I should try to live my own life. I have learnt to detach myself from the situation a little over the past months, but you are right that I should remember to live my own life and accept that mum makes her own decisions.
                        I have been thinking about attending counselling for a while and am going to go for that. Just so that I can learn to deal with this in the best way.
                        Mum is really doing well at the moment, anyway which is BRILLIANT! She's going to counselling twice a week and says she feels great at the moment.
                        I think a part of me feels protective of mum, because she's living alone for the first time in her life and doesn't have many people around her. But like you say, I really do need to perhaps take a step back.
                        It is good to hear your views, and I thank you all so so much for taking the time to respond. Mum is a member of MWO and she has found it a great help.
                        Thank you, xxx
                        :thanks:

Comment

Yes living alone for the first time can be challenging but a lot of people adapt. So many relationships fall apart after all.

I am sure your mother knows how much you love her. People in her situation will make friends with others their own age, move on. They don't have to become dependent on their kids. Her therapist will help with this.

One thing I have noticed reading the forum is that alcoholics often feel very guilty as parents. Their actions have a negative effect on their children, preventing them from having good relationships, messing them up.

I don't know if I know your mother but I am guessing it would be so nice to her if you had a good life and were not overly consumed with attention to her that you missed out on good things that present for you. So in a weird way, by allowing yourself happiness regardless of her condition, you may relieve her of some guilt that plagues other parents.

Care for those you love but not at the expense of your own self.

And one more thing, I think sometimes it's best for alcoholics to talk to other alcoholics about their drinking issues. People who know the territory are not as likely to get disturbed as family members who have not experienced the problem themselves. I think you should let her develop her own network to discuss this particular issue and focus on other experiences when you are with her.

Comment

Hey Jodie - and firstly, I think you are the most beautiful person (and daughter) for even BEING here to seek advice and help....that is a HUGE step.
                            :goodjob:
                            I am an alcoholic, however my parents were not, so I had no idea of addiction whatsoever until finally court directed to rehab.
                            in your mum's sober times, does she talk with you about her illness? Also, it is a FANTASTIC thing to hear of the efforts she makes to stop drinking - often.
                            Alcohol to the alcoholic, is Cunning, Baffling and Powerful - it is usually an emotional turmoil and intense feelings of irritability, restlessness and (sometimes phantom) feelings of discontent which starts an alk off again after a period of abstinence - I have been there many, many times....nothing earth-shattering (either good OR bad) needs happen to spark a binge.
                            Your acceptance of your mum is a vital key too - understanding is impossible, but acceptance is EVERYTHING.
                            I see AA has been mentioned - and I can only endorse that, but your mum has to WANT to attend. For you, however there is Alanon - a 12-step style support group for family members/friends of alcoholics - not so much to UNDERSTAND the alki, but to HELP yourself....perhaps worth a try.
                            :l
                            All the very, very best - and a great big BLESS YOU!
                            *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Hi Jodi
                              I think that you would find the support and help that you need around your Mom's drinking by going to Al Anon. It is an organisation that helps relatives and friends of alcoholics. Very positive stuff goes on there all about you. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X