Drinking and Hanging out with the Fellas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, you know how hard it is to abstain from drinking when you're hanging out with other guys, like male relatives. Any tips for this? Anyone here come from a background where it's not macho to not drink?

I come from a place where it's not macho for the women not to drink ... !!!

I just had to ignore upbringing and culture and stop, for myself .. sorry I can't be more help ...
    ?We are one another's angels?
    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

If you find a solution to this i would love to know the answer.
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

By the time I did hang out with the guys, I was already sober a few years. I just made it a point that all of them knew I was not a drinker/doper and don't even try to tempt me or I'd shove that bottle/glass ect. up their ass. Sorta like being a Daddy of a lil' girl with that protect mode jumping into play when a dope dealing pimp speaks to my daughter, fucking guy is crab meat. I was always available for safe rides home and ate really good because that was my "fee". Cheapest/safest nights out them guys ever had, I'd be invited all the time, even with my hard ass attitude and taste for rib eye. It's just a drug......nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Hi All
          One way I have found to stop anyone from trying to influence me to have a beer is to tell them I am on medication and can't drink.I now have no desire to drink nor does anyone try to get me to drink but when I first stooped I found this necessary.Most drinking "buddies" don't want you to stop they want company in hanging out getting drunk.You are talking about relatives so they will most likely always be in your life .No one I hung with or relative would say common just have one when I used the I am on medication line.I told them i was on a blood thinner.Come up with some medication because they will ask.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08
          Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08

Comment

it may it be he answer, but i simply told my two closest buddies that i had to quit drinking because i have a problem with it. i am very lucky, now that they know they don't offer me beer any more, and that makes it much easier. and i must say it is a lot of fun to hang out and watch them doing stupid things, instead of being the village idiot.

Comment

I've done the same as Soldier. I simply informed my friend that I've been bad, and as a result I can't drink. I always have something in my hand, just not AL. I'm careful to bring my own NA stuff to events. Lately, too many friends join me and I run out of NA stuff. That pisses me off a bit.

Comment

All my drinking was done in bars and 99% were with men who i knew for a very long time,i just stopped going to the bars & they think i am drinking somewhere else for some other reason. Anyway once they have there beer money they dont give a toss who is drinking & who is not i am sure they got over me not being there:H

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I used to say that I was allergic to alcohol. If any blokes asked what happened if I drank I replied simply.
                  I end up in jail.
                  Long Road
                  Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
                  Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Long Road;674630 wrote: I used to say that I was allergic to alcohol. If any blokes asked what happened if I drank I replied simply.
                    I end up in jail.
                    Hey Long road that is a great answer .... and shuts up the questioner !!!
                    ?We are one another's angels?
                    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

I love to go play pool but it sucks that there is not much else to drink in pool halls...I do usually get coffee at bars. (Been trying to moderate for a while.)

Comment

For me when I went 30 days...I went to a bar a few times..once with a very good old friend so me drinking tonic water or coors NA to him was like a blessing. The other time couple times I stopped in the local watering hole to BS with you all know em the guys you know but dont know..the bar guys. I drank coors NA...LOL I know the macho guy thing...I started getting self concious thinking everyone is staring at my bottle..one guy I knew was like whats up with the NA you cutting back...I was yeah a little and i'm driving and then told him how a good friend of mine just got his 4th dwi and is on house arrest and it scared the shit out of me.

Comment

I cant stand going into a bar and not drinking, I simply dont have the patience for the bullshit that you have to deal with regarding the intoxicated folks, even if they are/were your drinking buddies.I have to be on the same page as the others.

If I have a special party to attend and dont want to drink, I wont be staying very long.

Comment

I agree with billyjack - it is testing to have to listen to the utter shite that comes out of people's mouths when they are drinking.

Sure, it's OK to stay for the first beer or two, but after that it just gets ridiculous and it is not worth losing sleep staying around.

Plus, the pubs and bars absolutely reek of vinegar and spilled whatever on the carpet.

As for not drinking at family get togethers, hell, every male drinks to excess so I will definitely stand out being sober. But it will be something for me to be proud of, especially as most of them will not believe I am still not drinking...

"You STILL not drinking?" they say each time I see them. It is slowly sinking in that I can do it, and maybe they can too. (In some parts of my family alcohol is not even counted as a drug if you know what I mean.)

So be strong and just put it out there, it's a bit like coming out of the alcoholic closet I guess.
                            AF 20 April 2011
                            NF 12 December 2009
                            Fresh Fruit for Sobriety

Comment

It's not so much not drinking in bars, it's not drinking around my girlfriend's family. She's Irish and Catholic (please guys I love her) and her entire family of 8 brothers and sisters loves to party. Her parents don't think anything of having 50 people over for any reason at the drop of a hat.

When I'm not drinking I just tell them that I'm watching my diet again, which is true and they leave me alone. Sometimes I even drive one of them home if necessary, makes me feel good.

Be well, B-45

Comment

Working...
                              X