drinking: a love story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone read drinking: a love story? I found that book to be very inspirational. also i wanted to know if anyone could recommend a book on helping to totally abstain from al. I did not relate to MWO (the forums are great, don't get me wrong) but i felt the book gave me false hope of moderation and I know that is not an option for me.
    I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
    sober since 2/4/12

Hiya Star,

Here is my latest reading list...
    Augusten Burroughs - Dry,
    Tom Sykes - What did I do last night?
    Chris Prentiss - the alcoholism and addiction cure
    Ann M Fletcher - Sober for good
    James Frey - A million Little pieces.
    Beachamp Colclough - Stop Drinking
    Allen Carr - the Easy way to stop drinking..

All these I have found helped me...
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

"Mindful Recovery" is excellent, and abstinence-based.

Comment

who is that by Wip?

Comment

Starts, the authors are Bien and Bien...

Comment

Thanks Wippy, that'll be going in my Amazon wish list!

Comment

Starfairy, I am currently reading "Turnabout", by Jean Kirkpatrick. She is the founder of the program Women for Sobriety, Inc. Her story makes mine seem like a walk in the park, she tells her story of severe alcoholism, and how she recovered, and now has dedicated her life to helping other woman beat alcohol addiction.

I also have her book "Goodbye Hangovers, Hello Life, Self-Help for Women". I am assuming you are a woman, and these 2 books are directed specifically towards women and their needs.

If you can find either of these books, they are well worth the read, and if she can overcome what she overcame, I believe that anything is possible for the rest of us!

Comment

I would recommend 'Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction' by Jack Trimpey. In fact, you don't really have to even buy the book, as the crux of his approach is on the Rational Recovery website. Many people think Trimpey's solution is too simple, and as such cannot be true. I am not among such critics. It may be a tough pill to swallow, but Trimpey argues that we are solely responsible for acquiring, maintaining and ending our addictions, period. While I don't agree with everything Trimpey says, his approach makes the most sense from a purely rational perspective. Each time I read selections from his book I almost always achieve a significant AF period. And when I resume drinking, it is always for one of the fallacious reasons outlined in his book. The man tells it like it is.

On another note, I have read 'Drinking: A Love Story' but didn't like it very much. Just my opinion. It's too bad the author of that book didn't quit smoking cigarettes along with drinking, as she may still be alive.

Comment

I loved that book Drinking A Love Story.
                  What is on my mind is that there is a HUGE market, and lots of money to be made by people who have had horrific life stories. So now I am skeptical, when there is an autobiography of someone who was you know, whatever, fostered, beaten, raped, inprisoned, sold into slavery, whatever and now is a successful author! I am even questioning Augusten Burroughs. I understand there may have been some libel action against him by the doctor he talks about in Running With Scissors.
                  I do, however, love a good survival book.
                  Thoughts anyone?

Comment

I loved Drinking: A Love Story too. It is very sad, though, that she died of lung cancer at the age of 42.

Comment

Yes, she smoked and had eating disorders as well. I do not think she embellished, I was just talking about what I think may be an industry...

Comment

Lila;506254 wrote: I loved that book Drinking A Love Story.
                        What is on my mind is that there is a HUGE market, and lots of money to be made by people who have had horrific life stories.
                        Indeed. I always thought it might be nice for a recovering boozehound who didn't have any other serious life problems to write an autobiography of how they gave up drinking. When you think about it, there are so many so-called 'functional alcoholics' out there (I count myself among them), who haven't had a bad life, haven't destroyed their careers by drinking, etc, yet recognize that their drinking very well might send them to an early grave. Maybe that should be my project for the new year!

Comment

Starfairy,

Happy Hours by Devon Jersild is also a pretty good one.

Aileen

Comment

thanks everyone for the great suggestions. i got Dry from the library yesterday. I have always been a fan of him anyways. no matter if it is embellished or not he is such a great writer and really makes it feel real. i took my girls to mcdonalds so they could play and i could read. i really got their happy meals worth. we were there for two hours and i found myself having to put the book down a couple of times because my eyes kept watering.
                            I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
                            sober since 2/4/12

Comment

Drinking: A Love Story was excellent and very inspirational. She was an gifted writer. Yes, I was able to connect with her experiences. It's sad she died at the age of 42 from lung cancer, after she beat the beast. A lovely woman.
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X