X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January (new year) abbercisers!!

:welcome:

Happy new year to you all!

Welcome to any alcohol abstainees who are new to the thread or just taken up exercising and to everyone from the December abbercisers thread.

Ok - it's new years day and many people make new year resolutions to exercise!! ( I have to exercise a minimum of 4 x 30mins a week) and get back into distance running too. How is everyone doing. My gym and swimming pool is closed today being Jan 1st but that's no excuse! Today I did a 40 minute cross country run outside in the cold with my woolly hat and gloves on and feel very proud of myself!!

Look forward to hearing from you all - anyone else exercise on new years day!?

Sausage - good on you!!! I find it so hard to get out and exercise when it is cold, but this year I really want to get my self through that June-August period when it is so hard because it is cold and dark in the morning.

Thanks for starting us off - you have been sounding so positive and resolved!!

I had planned to swim to the 1km buoy in the harbour as a symbol of how I want 2009 to be (I've been trying to think of a motto for the year that I can use as an affirmation, and I've decided on "tackling challenges with ease and self-discipline" - a bit wanky , but it helps me to have something that I can focus on when my mind goes into spin-mode).

However, on NY Eve we decided to tackle all the crap in our garage and take it to the dump, and in the process I did something to my back. So yesterday was a day of no exercise, and lying around being grumpy. I've been putting arnica on my back and it is much better this morning ...... so I'm going to head off to the pool for a long swim (2km) later.

mame
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

I just want you all to know how awesome it is that you guys are doing so great with your exercise routines!! It's really motivating and I hope it helps me to get started--real soon!:goodjob:
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I'm ready for a new year....IAD.
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Good Morning All and Happy New Year,

I got myself out of my post Christmas slump by going for a nice long run. It felt so great and was a nice way to start off the New Year. I put on lots of layers of fleece so I was toasty warm.

I have not fully formed my excercise goals this year but I have a few in mind. For one, I'm running a 1/2 marathon in March and a 10 miler in April. A full marathon is a possibility but I want to see how I feel in March. I would also like to take up some sort of new outdoor activity like kayaking or perhaps even rock climbing. And, of course, I'd like to lose a few more pounds and eat healthier. I will be back with clearer goals in the next week or so.

In Health,
          M3
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!
          :lilheart:

Comment

New year! New thread! Here we go!

I just did 30 minutes jog/walk on the treadmill today; always working on finding a balance between pushing myself too hard, and... well, come to think of it, I always push myself too hard! Using the heart rate monitor is helping a lot. I just need to pay attention to it, and be content with small, slow increases in my fitness level...

Consistency, perseverence... I'll try to keep those "watchwords" in mind for this year so that I don't end up just quitting my exercise program altogether (which I've watched myself do, WAY too many times over the years!)...

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I'm joining into this thread as much as possible. One of my 3 goals for the new year is to exercise 30 mins. 5X per week. Yesterday, Jan. 1, I snowblowed the driveway & walked the dog. Today, I will give it a go. I think what I'm going to try to do is to divide the 30 mins. up if I have to. Maybe, catch 15 mins. here or there...even 5 - 10 mins. Anything to get myself moving. We're currently in a big freeze w/dangerously low temps. I'll have to bundle up in order to do anything outdoors.

I can see that exercise is integral to staying AF & also sleeping.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Mary
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

I exercise about 5 times a week, all up about 8 hours. What I am so excited about is seeing how much being AF will affect my fitness levels. I have felt for a while that AL was holding me back. Yay, the gym reopens tomorrow. I can't wait to get back into it. I'd love to be able to do long distance running, that would be a dream of a long term goal. Unfortunately I need someone screaming at me to keep going.

Comment

Hi everyone. I am going to make 2009 a fit healthy year for myself.
                  I want to start running again. Got to watch my knees but I want to train for a 10k in June.
                  Went for an 8 mile walk new years day and walk a few miles every day usually with the dogs but need a good fitness routine to help me.
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Decided to go for a healthy walk to day ( about 2miles ) Did some set ups, lifted some weights....." Exercise is the key " I'm going to Disneyworld Ha! IAD.
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hello Abbercisers. I am so thankful for this thread and the motivation it provides. I have some huge motivating factors to exercise.
                      #1. Endorphins... yes, they do exist. The most sober period of my life was a 10 year stretch when I was an avid runner. Yes, I still drank. Way more than the average person. BUT.... I did spend many hours on the road. And... you cannot drink while you run, so that time spent out of the house, on the road was "environmental control". Additionally, my depression was controlled without medication. I still had serious self esteem and self worth issues but was not as depressed. I came home feeling rejuvinated.
                      #2. 30 year high school reunion. Wasn't really planning to go to it. But, what the hell? If I get my life together, lose the AL weight, maybe even have a laser facial peel (treat for being AL free and losing the weight), then go in looking HOT, feeling "good" about myself!
                      #3. Flat abs. I used to have the flattest abs. Not that long ago. Even after kid. For about 5 years, flab and cellulite abs. They are going away.

Bridget Jones is going to keep her diary and it will include no references to alcohol, chocolate (OK, maybe a rare reference), don't smoke, only healthy eating and lots of exercise!

Went for a run yesterday (well, slooowwww jog) in 20 degree weather and felt like Rocky Balboa when finished. Looking forward to many more! Thanks for the motivation everyone! You guys are awesome!
                      Bridget

" little by little, we travel far "
                      - Tolkein

Comment

:b&d::sofa:

Hello Abbercisers! I didn't stop abbercising but last month's thread got away from me from a posting perspective! I'm going to post my exercise daily this month even if I have a hard time keeping up otherwise. It's great to see so many regular AND new faces here!

Bridgetjones, you are not kiddin' about that endorphin power!

CHECK Curves workout is done for the day. So are two loads of laundry, Mr. Doggy got breakfast before hitting the road, and my car was at the shop for a once over and oil change before 7:30. This sure beats pouring vodka drinks before 7AM.

My main fitness & food goal for now is to get comfortable maintaining my weight loss. I want to get into a routine of good choices where I don't even have to think about it much any more. Easier said than done as I have battled the bulge for a long time, and still have to pinch myself sometimes to believe that's really me in the mirror.

Have a great day all!

:b&d::sofa:

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I started re-introducing myself to yoga practice yesterday, using a book for "women in midlife" that someone here recommended. It starts with a VERY gentle sequence... I am feeling as if I am really not doing anything. Again, I guess I always feel as if I am not doing enough, unless I am pushing myself very hard! Anyhow, the yoga class I was doing in the fall of '07 was more demanding, and it felt great. So, I was poking around on the internet, and last night I ran across a teacher on YouTube who has some really nice videos. I think I am going to work on learning her variation on the Sun Salutation, it seems a bit more strenuous, and will add a strength-training element to my cardio work: here's the link, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPGZzlw-t74&feature=channel[/video]]YouTube - CORE SUN SALUTATIONS

Comment

Good Morning All,

No strenuous excercise for me today. I have my 11 mile training run tomorrow morning. I don't think I will be able to run the entire 11 miles since I was only able to run twice over the past 2 weeks...will shoot for 8. I'm at risk for injuring myself with anything more than that.

I am looking forward to getting back into the exercise swing of things again. The holidays and travel really threw me for a loop and once again reinforced how important regular excercise is to my sobriety and sanity. Back to bootcamp on Monday, Tues, Thur and running on Wed and Saturday. I am also going to fit at least one session of Yoga into my week. I need the relaxation and the stretching. There are two great Yoga studios close by...so many different types of classes...geez.

M3
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!
                            :lilheart:

Comment

I exercise 5 days a week about 90 minutes per day , and although the holiday was AF for me- I did put some lbs on- so back to better eating habits for 2009!
                              DLW
                              Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
                              And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
                                Today is a Mystery
                                Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Working...
                              X