Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health and Wellness for Modders...What is your plan for 2009???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost nothing good happens by accident, especially when drinking is involved. We have a "moderation rules" thread but I wondered if anyone wants to take that a step further. What is your PLAN for the new year? You DO have a plan, right? Do you have moderation goals or do you just hope for the best? Are you going to take an honest look at your present moderation plan and cut back a little? Are you going to start "the program"? Are you going to exercise? WHAT IS THE PLAN? Tell us about it. Put it in black and white and HOLD yourself to it.
    How will you be a better person NEXT year at this time, or will you be better at all??
    ~Kid~
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Thanks, Kid.

Here's my plan:

I will start the new year with two weeks alcohol free, and at the same time start "the program": supps, cds, 20 minutes of exercise a day. I will also start the year with Phase One of the South Beach Diet...Which I think is in keeping with MWO, since it is low carb, no sugar, lots of lean protein and veggies. I'd love to lose a little weight while going AF and eating well.

After two weeks, I would like to have, most weeks, four AF days a week, leaving () 3 days a week when I may drink. I will limit my drinking to two drinks on any given day. I will get through the AF days by coming here to MWO when I have urges, and by utilizing the coping mechanisms I have developed in the last six months.

I will never drink when I am alone with my children.
    I will never drink Chardonnay.
    I will never drink "hard" liquor.

There will be times when I want to have three drinks. I will plan for this. I will only allow it when we are socializing with other people. It does not need to be, and shouldn't be, something I do at home with my husband. When I do, I sometimes become testy and overly sensitive. I get a little depressed, and I feel a little hung over the next day.

i have other plans for 2009...I'm going to post them as a way of thinking this through...Tune out if you please :H:

I am not going to bring junk food into the house. My kids will learn to snack on fruit, raw veggies, nuts, cheese, and occasional bowls of popcorn. I am committed to raising healthy kids!

I am going to set more limits on "screen time" for my kids. They will be limited to one hour a day.

I am going to expect more from them. They will start to pack their own snacks, make their own beds, and keep better track of their own stuff.

I am going to keep the house better organized and insist on its being picked up most of the time. At the same time, I am going to work on not being cranky about it. I want to set expectations, without emotional overlay....

I am going to reach out to other people more. I will call my women friends and ask them to go for walks with me, and I will remember that that is not a waste of time.

I am going to spend less money. I will buy only what we need, not every little thing we want.

I am going to get caught up at work, and stay caught up. If I have to sacrifice a morning when I'd rather be cleaning the house, in order to stay on top of my paper work, I will do it, because I am more stressed by work than by the house.

I am going to learn to accept that my husband is who he is, and that there is only so much I can change. I am going to back off and let him be when he's in a bad mood, instead of investing so much in trying to change his mood.

I am going to learn to bake really good bread, with whole wheat, that the kids will eat.

I am going to learn to knit.

There will be more, but here's my start. Great idea, Kid. Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Great start...Great plan...great reply!!

Sara,
      You are a gem! This is what I had in mind for this thread and I didn't even have MY OWN plan together yet. This can be a map. You can modify it. You can go back to it when everything is falling to shit... I am going to TRY to chart out a course as specific as yours and post my plan...You did a good job!
      ~Kid~
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Sara
        Awesome plan! And Kid, great idea for a thread...you are the bomb!
        My plan:

1. Continue exercising weekly (2 days/week at the minimum)
        2. No more than 7 drinks per week as recommended for women
        3. Continue board support several times per week (daily if possible) and never stop. As I know from
        experience because when I stopped AA years ago I eventually started drinking again (after 7 years
        AF!!) So support always is crucial!!
        4. Keep my word to friends. I rather pride myself on the fact that I keep my word when I commit to
        something and I plan to continue that behavior in 09.
        5. Sara, I definitely need to organize my house so I have big organizational plans for 09. Actually
        can't wait for my MWO buddy who lives close to me to see what we've done to the garage! We're
        on our way!!
        6. Continue to be a good role model for my children. Since Sept 2, 08 there's been no slurring,
        stumbling, forgetting what I said the night before and I plan on that behavior continuing!
        7. Meet my creative challenge by June, 09. I've been struggling with wanting to do something
        creative that I keep never finding the time for so I plan on achieving that goal as well.
        Happy 09 Mod squad friends and visitors whether you're AF or someone visiting our great board looking for help. Help is here. Come join us!
        Hugs,
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Friends Old and New

A plan???? Yes, I need a plan. I have one but am just too tired to post it right now. Just wanted to say hello. Sara, Kid and everyone else it is wonderful to be here and I am looking forward meeting everyone here.

Happy 2009!!!!

dhs

Comment

Welcome DHS. We're glad you're here too and looking forward to getting to know more about you!
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Kid, thanks for starting this thread.

I am definitely starting a food diary TODAY. Not only what I eat, but what I'm thinking when I eat something I should avoid, especially those evening munchies. I definitely plan to go from my current size 10 clothes back to the size 8's that are still in my closet.

Welcome, dhs. Please check the toolbox under monthly abstinance section for ideas to make your plan. Many here recommend an initial 30 days AF to get back perspective on life, learn non-drinking behaviors. You are welcome to post anywhere, but drinking moderately is more difficult than going AF, in my experience.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

:yay: Dhs, I'm so glad you're here! :welcome: I was so excited to see those familiar initials!

These look like great plans everyone! Mine starts today. It's scrambled eggs with mixed veggies for breakfast, cooked in olive oil....And my AllOne blended with vegetable juice. We'll do a family hike for excercise, and I will be AF tonight. I'll carve out 1/2 an hour to listen to the "hypnotic" cd.

And I'm off to do a load of laundry...Kids will be expected to put away their own clothes once it's done. WOO HOO...Here we go 2009!
                "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sarasmiles;507924 wrote: Thanks, Kid.

Here's my plan:

I will start the new year with two weeks alcohol free, and at the same time start "the program": supps, cds, 20 minutes of exercise a day. I will also start the year with Phase One of the South Beach Diet...Which I think is in keeping with MWO, since it is low carb, no sugar, lots of lean protein and veggies. I'd love to lose a little weight while going AF and eating well.

After two weeks, I would like to have, most weeks, four AF days a week, leaving () 3 days a week when I may drink. I will limit my drinking to two drinks on any given day. I will get through the AF days by coming here to MWO when I have urges, and by utilizing the coping mechanisms I have developed in the last six months.

I will never drink when I am alone with my children.
                  I will never drink Chardonnay.
                  I will never drink "hard" liquor.

There will be times when I want to have three drinks. I will plan for this. I will only allow it when we are socializing with other people. It does not need to be, and shouldn't be, something I do at home with my husband. When I do, I sometimes become testy and overly sensitive. I get a little depressed, and I feel a little hung over the next day.

i have other plans for 2009...I'm going to post them as a way of thinking this through...Tune out if you please :H:

I am not going to bring junk food into the house. My kids will learn to snack on fruit, raw veggies, nuts, cheese, and occasional bowls of popcorn. I am committed to raising healthy kids!

I am going to set more limits on "screen time" for my kids. They will be limited to one hour a day.

I am going to expect more from them. They will start to pack their own snacks, make their own beds, and keep better track of their own stuff.

I am going to keep the house better organized and insist on its being picked up most of the time. At the same time, I am going to work on not being cranky about it. I want to set expectations, without emotional overlay....

I am going to reach out to other people more. I will call my women friends and ask them to go for walks with me, and I will remember that that is not a waste of time.

I am going to spend less money. I will buy only what we need, not every little thing we want.

I am going to get caught up at work, and stay caught up. If I have to sacrifice a morning when I'd rather be cleaning the house, in order to stay on top of my paper work, I will do it, because I am more stressed by work than by the house.

I am going to learn to accept that my husband is who he is, and that there is only so much I can change. I am going to back off and let him be when he's in a bad mood, instead of investing so much in trying to change his mood.

I am going to learn to bake really good bread, with whole wheat, that the kids will eat.

I am going to learn to knit.

There will be more, but here's my start. Great idea, Kid. Sara
                  Sara, you're awesome! And I must add most inspiring! I'm on my way out of town, but upon my return I will post my 2009s!

Comment

Wow...

Well, Ladies;
                    I guess I don't have to add any words of encouragement to THIS thread!
                    You girls are SMOKIN'!!
                    ~Kid~
                    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Great going, y'all modders! I'm inspired! And I could not agree more, that planning and implementing major life changes (done in reasonable increments) is such an essential part of getting over alcohol dependence.... Just "not drinking," or just keeping a tight lid on consumption, isn't enough...

Comment

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to sort? I am having problems:-| I like see the newest post first. I will get used to this site sooner or later

Thanks for you welcome Eve, Sunbeam, Sara and everyone else. I have a journey ahead of me that is for sure. I have been through quite a lot the last 6 months. I have learned so much and have hope I will finally have the balance I need. I have the book and am planning to reread.

Okay, the plan, plan, plan.

First, I plan to have 30 alcohol free starting Monday!!! I need this. I have had a rough month. While on my 30 ABS I am going to really think of what I will do after that. I have not done this in a while but I will not buy boxed wine. I also think I will need to stay away from all white and blush wines. I have much to think about during my 30 days.

Second, once the kids are in school I will excercise again.

I want to catch up on work. I have a new job and also have some side bookkeeping jobs that I need to just start and finish. It is year end and all this stuff add to my stress and anxiety. I want to stop procrastinating!!!!

I will focus on each of my three children and patiently help them with homework. This is a struggle for me.

I will read the MWO book again and look at the tools some have mentioned.

Thanks guys. I feel so relieved that I don't have to say never. I know this will be hard but I need a balance and the ability to try and moderate. People do it all the time. I know I can learn.

I look forward to getting to know all of you in the NEW YEAR!

dhs

Comment

Upper right screen...

"Display mode" then "linear mode"..I think that's all it takes.
                          ~KS~
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

My plan for 2009....

I plan to Start(ed) "the program"

After my 2 weeks AF I plan only drink moderately no more then twice a week. No more then 3 glasses of wine or 4 beers per session, with water or soda in between. I choose these amounts because I know these are my limits.

I plan to never drink vodka again. No more Vodka...ever!

I plan on being the wife/mother/woman I was once and know I can be. I really liked her. I miss her too.

I plan on actually doing everything I say I'm going to do.

That's all for now....the baby woke up because her brother is yelling at the "SanDeigo Chargers"
                            :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

My 2009 Goals

I've come to this thread several times and I'm really having a hard time setting my goals to paper. I accomplished so much in 2008 and I feel what I want in 2009 (a new relationship) isn't entirely within my control, but here goes.

1. Maintain the weight loss and fitness goals I achieved in 2008. Exercise 3x/week. Keep my weight within 2-3 lbs of current weight so I fit in to all the beautiful new clothes I've bought.

2. Maintain my moderation pattern of drinking only 3 days/week except when on vacation. Realistically my daily limit is usually 2 -3 instead of 1 -2 so weekly total is more like 10 than 7, which is OK with me. Use Drink Tracker for at least first 3 months of 2009, then decide if I need to continue (I have 12 months DrinkTracker records for 2008. When is enough enough?)

3. Sign up for a neck message every two weeks to keep my shoulders loose so I can (finally) begin to play tennis again, and have a means of working out the kinks that are likely to occur. Tennis will help with goal #4 which is. . .

4. Socialize more. I'm lonely and miss having a male relationship in my life. Internet dating hasn't panned out: I do better in person. Doing activities I like should help. Tennis and biking are big interests.

5. Plan a trip to look forward to. Doesn't have to happen in 2009, but find someplace I really want to go, research it, and make a plan. I haven't done this in years.

6. Volunteer at the local Habitat for Humanity house building site. I love to work with my hands and am good at many things.

7. This is a stretch goal, but I'd like to ride the Pan Mass Challenge. I know I can do the riding, it's raising the 4K that is the challenge. Have never tried such a thing. Need to figure out a plan; I think networking and finding a team that has some fundraising experience is the way to go.

8. Continue to be a good MWO citizen, helping out when I can, and using the site for support when I need it. It's difficult for me to Ask for Help for myself, so remembering that I too deserve support. I'd like to see Moderation support to be more available in Just Starting Out, General and Subscribers.

Ask

Comment

Working...
                              X